View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Russell released 
NFL Veteran

Post Russell released
Quote:
Former No. 1 pick Russell released
Associated Press
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders have released former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell after three unproductive and highly paid seasons.

Senior executive John Herrera told The Associated Press the move was made Thursday and that "we wish him well."

The decision comes less than two weeks after Oakland acquired Jason Campbell from Washington to take over at quarterback.

Russell will now likely be considered the biggest draft bust in NFL history. He will have been paid more than $39 million by the Raiders, while producing only seven wins as a starter.

He lost his starting job midway through last season. His career has been hampered by a rookie holdout, poor work habits, being overweight and the lack of productive players around him.

I hope he didn't spend all his money. What a huge bust and the worst part is everyone saw it coming except for the Raiders.

May 6th, 2010, 4:20 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Russell released
rao wrote:
Quote:
Former No. 1 pick Russell released
Associated Press
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders have released former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell after three unproductive and highly paid seasons.

Senior executive John Herrera told The Associated Press the move was made Thursday and that "we wish him well."

The decision comes less than two weeks after Oakland acquired Jason Campbell from Washington to take over at quarterback.

Russell will now likely be considered the biggest draft bust in NFL history. He will have been paid more than $39 million by the Raiders, while producing only seven wins as a starter.

He lost his starting job midway through last season. His career has been hampered by a rookie holdout, poor work habits, being overweight and the lack of productive players around him.

I hope he didn't spend all his money. What a huge bust and the worst part is everyone saw it coming except for the Raiders.

Come to think of it, it's prolly a good thing for us the Raiders did draft him...otherwise we may have ended up with him :shock: ](*,)

May 6th, 2010, 4:22 pm
NFL Veteran

TheRealWags wrote:
Come to think of it, it's prolly a good thing for us the Raiders did draft him...otherwise we may have ended up with him :shock: ](*,)

That's probably most true and also the most frightening statement anyone could make.

May 6th, 2010, 4:39 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

so here's the question....can we start calling him the 2nd biggest bust ever yet?

May 6th, 2010, 5:16 pm
NFL Veteran

regularjoe12 wrote:
so here's the question....can we start calling him the 2nd biggest bust ever yet?

Considering how fat he is and the size of his contract, I think he gets #1

May 6th, 2010, 5:22 pm
RIP Killer

I think he easily moves to biggest bust of all time if he cannot find a team and resurrect his career.

May 6th, 2010, 5:25 pm

steensn wrote:
I think he easily moves to biggest bust of all time if he cannot find a team and resurrect his career.

I dont know man...Ryan Leaf was pretty dang epic...as crappy as Russell is and did...it's hard to say he's worse.....but it'd be a fun argument!!!!

May 6th, 2010, 5:37 pm
RIP Killer

I guess what is the measurement? Leaf flunked out harder and worse than Russell, I can;t argue that. But Russell had the bigger contract. So for nag for their buck... Russell cost more. I guess the question is whether it is money or what. Russell at least tried... Leaf has psychological issues.

May 6th, 2010, 5:42 pm

steensn wrote:
I guess what is the measurement? Leaf flunked out harder and worse than Russell, I can;t argue that. But Russell had the bigger contract. So for nag for their buck... Russell cost more. I guess the question is whether it is money or what. Russell at least tried... Leaf has psychological issues.

dont forget to throw in that while the Russell pick left CJ on the bouard....Leaf's pick left Peyton on the board...I think that tips the scales for me

May 6th, 2010, 5:45 pm
RIP Killer

There was the best QB of time taken the next pick... that is a very good point. I think Russel was no question the best prospect at QB (although I hated him) at the time. At least the Leaf vs Manning argument existed...

May 6th, 2010, 5:49 pm
Walk On

regularjoe12 wrote:
steensn wrote:

dont forget to throw in that while the Russell pick left CJ on the bouard....Leaf's pick left Peyton on the board...I think that tips the scales for me

Peyton Manning was selected #1 overall. Leaf was number 2. Think Like Houston taking Carr and us getting Joey.

May 6th, 2010, 6:47 pm
RIP Killer

Topweasel wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
steensn wrote:

Peyton Manning was selected #1 overall. Leaf was number 2. Think Like Houston taking Carr and us getting Joey.

I forgot that! Good point...

May 6th, 2010, 7:07 pm
NFL Team Captain

I can see the headlines in a week or so..... Russell heading to Cincy! LOL!

May 6th, 2010, 9:00 pm
RIP Killer

what a freakin' turd

May 6th, 2010, 10:22 pm
NFL Veteran

steensn wrote:

I consider Russell worse because he didn't try. He spent his entire time in Oakland avoiding any real work at becoming a NFL level QB. He was out of shape until just this spring when he noticed that he might actually get released. I think Leaf has actual mental health and drug issues, which just makes him a little bit of a sad story.

May 6th, 2010, 10:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next