View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 11:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Russell released 
Afghan Allstar

Post Re: Russell released
One of the radio stations here in San Diego actually broke down the stats between Leaf and Russell. Without putting names to stats they asked people which QB they would rather have. It was unanimous for Russell. His stats make him look like Peyton Manning with put next to Leaf.

Player----ATT - COMP - % - TD - INT - Yards - Rating
Leaf------655 - 317 - 48.4 - 14 - 36 - 3666 - 50.0
Russell---680 - 354 - 52.1 - 18 - 23 - 4083 - 65.2

May 6th, 2010, 10:58 pm
QB Coach

Topweasel wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
steensn wrote:
I guess what is the measurement? Leaf flunked out harder and worse than Russell, I can;t argue that. But Russell had the bigger contract. So for nag for their buck... Russell cost more. I guess the question is whether it is money or what. Russell at least tried... Leaf has psychological issues.

dont forget to throw in that while the Russell pick left CJ on the bouard....Leaf's pick left Peyton on the board...I think that tips the scales for me

Peyton Manning was selected #1 overall. Leaf was number 2. Think Like Houston taking Carr and us getting Joey.

I think of Russel going first and us getting CJ more like when we took CRog and left Andre Johnson for the Texans.

May 6th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Statistically speaking, Ryan Leaf was the bigger bust, but once you factor in the amount of wasted money, it's a close call. Regardless, they both sucked.

Now, I just wonder which team is going to be stupid enough to sign Russell, thinking that they can change him? Any guesses?

May 7th, 2010, 9:59 am
RIP Killer

buell17 wrote:
One of the radio stations here in San Diego actually broke down the stats between Leaf and Russell. Without putting names to stats they asked people which QB they would rather have. It was unanimous for Russell. His stats make him look like Peyton Manning with put next to Leaf.

Player----ATT - COMP - % - TD - INT - Yards - Rating
Leaf------655 - 317 - 48.4 - 14 - 36 - 3666 - 50.0
Russell---680 - 354 - 52.1 - 18 - 23 - 4083 - 65.2

Wow... that is bad...

May 7th, 2010, 10:08 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

slybri19 wrote:
Statistically speaking, Ryan Leaf was the bigger bust, but once you factor in the amount of wasted money, it's a close call. Regardless, they both sucked.

Now, I just wonder which team is going to be stupid enough to sign Russell, thinking that they can change him? Any guesses?

Normally I'd say Al Davis would....but i guess at this point I'd hafta guess Jerry Jones.....

May 7th, 2010, 11:23 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I thought the Raiders did a much better job in the draft this year then in years past. They didn't get as enamored with a guy's combine and took a flyer on him, ala DHB and Jamarcus Russell. They may have learned after these cats and realized that great workout numbers don't translate into success or wins.

Russell was the #1 pick and was released after what was basically 1.5 seasons. He only started 1 game his rookie year after a hold out then he played (relatively) decently his second year, and then regressed hardcore this year.

Leaf was the #2 pick, so automatically, as far as i'm concerned, he's not as big a bust as Russell. Leaf got a few shots after San Diego. (Tampa, Dallas, Seattle). I don't know if Russell will get another shot, at least not this year. I sure as hell wouldn't want him on my team. You would have to let the candy stores know to have enough Skittles on hand...

What bum's both are! At least Leaf has some mental issues that we can place some of the blame on. Russell is just fat and lazy.

May 7th, 2010, 1:20 pm
RIP Killer

Not one team put a waiver in...

May 7th, 2010, 6:51 pm
QB Coach

Well he had a huge contract so nobody was expected to put a waiver claim in. I expect someone will try to be the guy to turn him around. But I don't think the kid has the desire to play or to improve. An ESPN article noted he was the quickest QB drafted #1 to be released by the team that drafted him. Which doesn't say much since Leaf was drafted #2 and he was also out after 3 seasons.

May 7th, 2010, 11:07 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Nobody was going to put a waiver claim on him and pay Russell $9.45M this year. Unfortunately for the Raiders, they still have to pay him the $3M of his salary which was guaranteed for this season.

May 8th, 2010, 9:16 am
NFL Team Captain

Can he play another position? Other than left out that is.

May 9th, 2010, 7:53 pm
RIP Killer

I didn't think anyone would want to pay that salary either... but it is sad to see a guy go that far down that 3 years later he isn't even worth a shot on his rookie contract.

May 9th, 2010, 8:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I wonder why Oakland picked him #1 after the pre-draft interview. Personally, I never liked the guy. I thought he was another Dante Culpepper at best

May 10th, 2010, 12:56 am
Hall of Fame Player

slybri19 wrote:

I agree. It is a close call as to who will be considered the bigger bust. Leaf vs. Russell.

ESPN.com wrote:
May 7, 2010, 6:38 PM ET
Russell goes unclaimed, clears waivers
By Bill Williamson

JaMarcus Russell is now a free agent.

As expected, the talented but extremely disappointing quarterback went unclaimed Friday and passed waivers. He is now free to sign with any team that may become interested in him.

Russell, 24, was cut by the Oakland Raiders on Thursday. He was expected to go unclaimed because his salary is more than $9 million this season. Any team that would have claimed Russell would have been responsible for his salary this season. Russell will likely not garner anything other than the minimum league salary if he signs with a team. He made more than $39 million in Oakland over the course of the past three seasons.

The Raiders used the No.1 overall pick on Russell in the 2007 draft. He never developed and was 7-18 as a starter, the worst winning percentage of any quarterback who was drafted No. 1. He became the quickest quarterback who was the No. 1 pick to be released by his drafting team.

May 10th, 2010, 7:19 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Well, he won't be making it back to his home state..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5173977

May 10th, 2010, 11:54 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Could he play LT? I'm sure he's carrying enough weight. Switch him from #2 to #72 and they solve their LT problem for the next 10 years!

May 11th, 2010, 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next