View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cushing Suspended 4 Games for Steroid Use 
RIP Killer

Post Cushing Suspended 4 Games for Steroid Use
Who woulda thunk it!?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5172060

May 7th, 2010, 6:50 pm
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: Cushing Suspended 4 Games for Steroid Use
I was watching that piece on the NFL Network that showcased some rookies from last year and Cushing was one of them and I could not help but think about how ripped he was and I wondered if he might be juicing? Mystery Solved! :roll:

They ought to pull that DRoY award out from under his rectum!

May 7th, 2010, 10:02 pm
Hall of Fame Player

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
I was watching that piece on the NFL Network that showcased some rookies from last year and Cushing was one of them and I could not help but think about how ripped he was and I wondered if he might be juicing? Mystery Solved! :roll:

They ought to pull that DRoY award out from under his rectum!

I agree! And we're not alone...

PFT.com wrote:
Whitner thinks the league should take away Cushing's award
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 7, 2010 7:34 PM ET

One of the best (and some would say worst) parts about Twitter is immediacy.

The moment Brian Cushing's suspension was announced, writers, fans, teammates, and other players around the league had their say.

More than one media member said they've heard rumors about Cushing's use before.

Texans safety Dominique Barber summed up the reaction from Houston: "F*****kkkkkk"

The most interesting comment came from Bills safety Donte Whitner, who reacted angrily. "B. Kushing suspended for sterods! I don't respect guys that CHEAT! . . . They should take his Defensive rookie of the year away!"

It's not a crazy notion. MDS mentioned the "Shawne Merriman rule," which means that Cushing won't be allowed to win any awards or go to the Pro Bowl this year.

But it's fair to deduce based on the timeline of Cushing's failed appeal that performance enhancing drugs helped him in 2009.

In the Olympics, they take away your medal for a failed test. The NFL should do the same. Jairus Byrd: come collect your gold.

May 8th, 2010, 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

This really isn't any surprise. There have been rumors about Cushing and steroids for years, but he finally got caught.

May 8th, 2010, 9:18 am
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
This really isn't any surprise. There have been rumors about Cushing and steroids for years, but he finally got caught.

I believe we discussed this during the tim leading up to the draft. If I had to pick one person juicing... it would have been him.

May 8th, 2010, 10:22 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

The league won't strip the award. Belichick got fined because he got caught cheating in SpyGate and he won coach of the year that same year. Shawne Merriman got a four game suspension for juicing and he made the Pro Bowl that year.

May 8th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Div 1 - Starter

This almost has to renew the questions about Clay Matthews as well.

May 9th, 2010, 8:50 pm
RIP Killer

Good point... though I don't want to accuse someone with no proof. I would guess that this was somehow connected to several people on the team at USC using together though I do not want to point fingers.

May 9th, 2010, 8:55 pm
RIP Killer

Not a steroid?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bria ... oid-050810

May 9th, 2010, 10:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

They all Say That. Additionally, I found it funny that Jay Glazer of Fox Sports News is the guy posting the "Defendendants Side" when:

Quote:
"Cushing began training in February with MMAthletics, a program run by FOX Sports NFL Sunday insider Jay Glazer and mixed martial arts legend Randy Couture."

Is at the bottom of the article.

Also I re-enter this evidence:

May 10th, 2010, 2:54 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

I remember seeing that picture last year before the draft. It was one of those moments where you go...ah ha, I knew it! And now with this coming out, you finally are vindicated. I'm not surprised that this happened, but I'm not so sure you have to take his DROY award away from him. Depending on when he got caught it could have been after the season, and therefore there's no real proof that he was juicing during the season.

I still think its funny though, another thing Pete Carroll will have to answer to.

May 10th, 2010, 9:49 am
RIP Killer

Interesting "guilt by association" article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ssociation
Quote:
Matthews, Cushing and guilt by association
May, 10, 2010
MAY 10
10:30
AM ET
Email Print Share
By Kevin Seifert
Take a look at the background picture of Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews’ Twitter account. It’s a 2009 Sports Illustrated cover featuring Matthews and two of his former USC teammates: Brian Cushing, later drafted by Houston, and Rey Maualuga, who landed in Cincinnati.

[+] Enlarge
Kirby Lee/US Presswire
Clay Matthews posted 51 tackles, including 10 sacks, during his rookie season in Green Bay.
Barely a year later, Matthews is the only one of the trio unscathed by controversy. Maualuga was arrested in January for drunken driving and was scheduled to spend 30 days in rehab. Cushing, the 2010 NFL defensive rookie of the year for Houston, was suspended four games Friday after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

And for those who will start the guilty-by-association discussion between Cushing and Matthews, who gained some 60 pounds between his junior year in high school and the start of his college career, let’s follow the lead of Greg A. Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Bedard points out Matthews’ April 2009 response to rumors he had tested positive for steroids himself. Matthews explained how he developed from an unrecruited 161-pound high school junior to a 220-pound college linebacker and expressed frustration at how quickly steroid rumors start when young football players gain weight.

Let’s allow Matthews’ unambiguous words, courtesy the Packers’ website, speak mostly for themselves.

Clay, were you part of an erroneous report?

Clay Matthews: Yeah, the same website actually reported that B.J. [Raji] had tested positive for recreational drugs and me and my other teammate, Brian Cushing, had tested positive for steroids, which is completely false. Unfortunately in years past people have had to just wait it out and let the smoke clear and at that time their name is damaged. No matter if you come out clean, people are going to think less of you as a person. So [we] were fortunate enough to be able to call the head administrator for the drug test and he let us know, no, you didn't test positive. It was just a matter of shutting a guy down and letting people know the real story. It's unfortunate, but I guess we're in this position that we are today and it wouldn't be happening if we weren't in this position. You learn from it and you grow from it really.

When you went to SC, were you 161 pounds?

CM: No, that weight has been exaggerated tremendously. I want to set the record straight and say I was 228 coming into SC. After camp, around 220. I just worked hard. I'd love for the writer of that article to come see how I train and live a day in my shoes, and he can see how I put on this weight and what not. It was funny, I just heard the other day Aaron Curry was 195 at Wake Forest when he first checked in. People can put on weight. They work hard. It's not that hard provided you have a workman's mentality.

You redshirted and were there a long time, so was it not just the weight room but you hit some growth spurts there too?

CM: Yeah, absolutely. Fortunately and I guess unfortunately, Matthews are just late bloomers. The same with my dad and my Uncle Bruce, we all going into college, we put on a tremendous amount of weight. It was just a little late in the recruiting process so you have to walk on here and there and make a name for yourself. That's what I had to do. You can talk to anyone at that program and they'll say I'm one of the hardest workers and I'm going to be in the weight room. Not just in the weight room, but on the practice field, watching film, game film, and they'll tell you the type of character that I possess.

So what did you weigh your junior year when they wouldn't recruit you?

CM: 166.

How tall were you?

CM: Probably around 6-foot, 6-1. Probably the only college guy to have actually grown in height too throughout college.

Some of you will suggest that we in the media perpetuate guilt-by-association themes by introducing them in the first place. Writing about it draws a connection readers might not otherwise make, you might say, and extends the damage rather than letting the issue settle.

I strongly disagree. I covered baseball from 1996-99, the years leading up to the steroid revelation era. At the time, writers bent over backward to avoid mentioning steroids, even in the presence of obvious clues, in order to avoid sullying the reputation of players who hadn't admitted to using them. And since there was no reliable testing at the time, no one admitted it. So for the most part, steroids were not part of the public discussion even though, as we now know, they were being used by some of the best players in the game.

Nowhere am I suggesting that Matthews should come under more scrutiny now that one of his college teammates has tested positive. But we would be naïve to think that ignoring the connection would help diminish its legitimacy. Every American with a computer can publish his or her opinion via the Internet. So in an era of unattributable accusations and connecting of the dots, we need more openness, more public discussion and maximum accountability. I'd rather have someone like Clay Matthews step forward and assert he has never taken steroids than sit back and believe rumors will dissipate if they go unaddressed.

May 10th, 2010, 12:19 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

It seems like the NFL has done a good enough job in testing as well as keeping its product out of the steroid spotlight. There is steroid use in the NFL, see Tony Mandrich, but its not even in the same stratosphere as baseball. Whether its the way the NFL & PA have handled the issue opposed to the fumbling (sorry for the mixed metaphor) the MLB did during the steroid scandal, but the NFL has largely escaped unscathed from all the media ire. Cushing is one of the biggest fish to be caught in this so far, but I don't think that many more will be popped for steroids.

In the Clay Matthews situation it seems like he went from 0 to Hero or College Special Teamer to First Round Pick in a years time. It seems like Barry Bonds going from 34 HR's to 73 HR's in two years. The only difference is that Matthews is a young guy and could still be growing. Not totally out of the question. I don't know many 35 year olds that hit a growth spurt.

May 11th, 2010, 1:03 pm
League MVP

Im pressed for time and only skimmed the longer posts. here's what I saw on the magic talkin box (TV).

HCG is a natural hormone....found in prgnant women and testicular cancer patients.
\
the only logical reason for a fully healthy male to have it in their system is to kick staart the testosterone process that stops when you take sterroids.

classify this chump as another merriman and lets all watch his skills decline now that he's off the juice.

PS> the AP IS doing a recall on his DRotY award. they are revoting on it as we speak.

May 11th, 2010, 5:43 pm
RIP Killer

This fit better here:

Quote:
The Big Question: Delmas for DROY?
May, 11, 2010
MAY 11
1:00
PM ET
Comment Email Print Share
By Kevin Seifert
» NFC Big Question: East | West | North | South » AFC: East | West | North | South

Should an NFC North rookie replace the suspended Brian Cushing to win the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year award?

[+] Enlarge
Mark Cunningham/Getty Images
Louis Delmas recorded 94 tackles and a pair of interceptions during his rookie season.
Cushing, the Houston linebacker who violated the league's steroid policy last fall, remains on the ballot for an unprecedented re-vote set to be completed Wednesday. As we noted Monday, Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews finished third in the original balloting and could benefit from those who withdraw their support from Cushing. After all, only 10 players finished the 2009 season with more than Matthews' 10 sacks, which was also a Packers rookie record.

But there is another Black and Blue player who deserves to be in the discussion, and I wonder if at least a few voters will take this opportunity to re-focus their views on Detroit safety Louis Delmas.

Delmas didn't receive a vote in the original balloting, and it's difficult for anyone to get national recognition while playing for a defense that performed as poorly as the Lions' last season. But don't forget that Delmas became the first rookie in NFL history to record a safety as well as fumble and interception returns for touchdowns. His 101-yard return of an interception against Arizona, moreover, was the longest by an NFL rookie since 1926. That's the definition of a playmaking safety.

We're really in uncharted territory here. This vote isn't as simple as re-shuffling the original deck. The balloting usually happens in the final days of the regular season. Delmas' reputation has grown since then, and whether they admit or not, voters now have an entire offseason's worth of analysis to work from. They also have the comments of people like Lions coach Jim Schwartz, who in February called Delmas the Lions' best defensive player.

I don't think Delmas will win the award, and he might not get a vote. But if nothing else, this instance provides an opportunity to remind everyone of his historic rookie season

May 11th, 2010, 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next