View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 4:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Report: Favre tells Vikings he's not returning 
Modmin Dude

Post Report: Favre tells Vikings he's not returning
Could it really be true???

PFT wrote:
Report: Favre tells Vikings he's not returning
Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2010 10:37 AM ET
Many of you scoffed at our report of uneasiness in Mankato regarding the Brett Favre situation.

Scoff no more.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that Favre began telling team officials on Monday night that he will not return for another season.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that Favre has begun communicating the message to teammates.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... returning/

nah, he prolly just wants to be traded/play somewhere else :lol: :wink:

August 3rd, 2010, 10:42 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Report: Favre tells Vikings he's not returning
Wow... didn't expect that... I'd had bet money he was returning.

August 3rd, 2010, 10:45 am
Modmin Dude

From Glaze via Twitter:

Jay_Glazer wrote:
Favre has told teammates he will NOT play this season, citing wear and tear on his body. Team is hoping he will change his mind

August 3rd, 2010, 10:51 am
Modmin Dude

And here's ESPNs take:

Quote:
Sources: Brett Favre plans to retire

Brett Favre has informed his Vikings teammates that he will not return for another season in Minnesota, the Star-Tribune reported Tuesday.

Sources also confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Favre planned to retire.

Neither Favre nor the vikings have confirmed the news but a press release is expected Tuesday, the sources said.

The Star-Tribune first reported Favre's intentions to retire.

This would be the third retirement for Favre, who also retired after 16 seasons with the Green Bay Packers after the 2007 season and one season with the New York Jets after the 2008 season.

Favre has been working out at his home in Hattiesburg, Miss., still rehabbing a surgically repaired ankle that was injured in Minnesota's overtime loss to the New Orleans Saints in the NFC title game. He has yet to inform the team if he will honor the second year of his contract and come back for another run at the Super Bowl.

Last year Favre told the Vikings he was not going to play shortly before camp opened. But he changed his mind a few weeks later, and went on to record one of the best seasons of his career despite having less than three weeks to prepare.

Favre threw for over 4,200 yards with 33 touchdowns and just seven interceptions to lead the Vikings (12-4) to the NFC North title and their first NFC title game since 2001.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5433551

And...

NFC North blog wrote:
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Reports: Brett Favre plans to retire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Brett Favre has informed his Vikings teammates that he will not return for another season in Minnesota, the Star-Tribune reported Tuesday.

Favre has sent text messages to teammates saying, "This is it," league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Neither Favre nor the Vikings have confirmed the news but a press release is expected Tuesday, the sources said.

The Associated Press also reported that Favre is saying that he's not returning this season.

The Vikings' ownership is holding its annual meeting at training camp Tuesday morning.

This would be the third retirement for Favre, who also retired after 16 seasons with the Green Bay Packers after the 2007 season and one season with the New York Jets after the 2008 season.

Favre has been working out at his home in Hattiesburg, Miss., still rehabbing a surgically repaired ankle that was injured in Minnesota's overtime loss to the New Orleans Saints in the NFC title game. He has yet to inform the team if he will honor the second year of his contract and come back for another run at the Super Bowl.

Last year Favre told the Vikings he was not going to play shortly before camp opened. But he changed his mind a few weeks later, and went on to record one of the best seasons of his career despite having less than three weeks to prepare.

Favre threw for over 4,200 yards with 33 touchdowns and just seven interceptions to lead the Vikings (12-4) to the NFC North title and their first NFC title game since 2001.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

August 3rd, 2010, 11:00 am
RIP Killer

Wow... wonder how many teammates are calling trying to get him back on board?

August 3rd, 2010, 11:12 am
RIP Killer

and it would surprise who if he flip-flops and decides to return. I won't believe until the regular season starts.

August 3rd, 2010, 11:52 am
Profile WWW
National Champion

No he's really retired this time....it says so on my i-Phone...

http://bangcartoon.com/2009/4thandfour.htm

August 3rd, 2010, 12:01 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

I agree with pablo. Wont believe it until he's not in uni opening day. Even then he could still come back. WHATEVER!!!!!

August 3rd, 2010, 12:03 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Our take: Brett Favre will play
Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2010 11:32 AM ET
We've seen the reports from Judd Zulgad and Jay Glazer. We have no reason to doubt them.

Brett Favre has told the Vikings that he will not play in 2010, citing his lingering ankle problem and other physical wear and tear.

That's fine. We believe he said it. We believe he believes it.

But we also believe Favre will play again.

He'll be in the Superdome on the evening of September 9, when the Vikings face the Saints to start the 2010 season. He'll be there. He'll be in uniform. He'll play.

We believe that in part because we rarely believe anything anyone connected to the NFL says. We've developed that attitude because, on too many past occasions, a player or a coach or a G.M. or an owner says one thing, and then does the exact opposite.

As it relates to Favre, his own history supports the conclusion that he'll be back. He retired in 2008. He later reiterated his intention to call it quits, scoffing at rumors that he hoped to return for another season. And he played/

He retired in 2009. In late July, he told the Vikings that he would not join them. Then, just as many of us began to believe that he really was finished, Favre played.

This year, whether he's consciously doing it or not, Favre needs to once again convince us that he won't come back, for two reasons.

First, he needs the Vikings fans to rejoice when Lord Favre rides in on a white steed to save the team from a plunge to black-and-blue mediocrity. And they won't rejoice unless they first believe in their hearts that Prince Graybeard isn't coming.

Second, he needs an excuse for his own potential mediocrity. In his quest to ride off into the sunset with a Lombardi Trophy tucked into the back pocket of his Wranglers, Favre fears embarrassing himself. So if he plays poorly, it can't happen because he's lost his magic. There needs to be a good reason for a Willie Mays/Joe Namath/John Unitas end to his career unrelated to whether Favre can still bring it.

Last year, it was a biceps tendon, along with an assortment of maladies that he cited multiple times prior to the start of the season, so that we all knew that if he stunk it up it happened because of his battle scars, not because he's no longer good enough.

This year, it's his ankle. The one on which he had supposedly minor surgery. The one that all of a sudden is preventing him from doing the stuff a pocket-passing quarterback does with his legs.

(Maybe he simply was concerned that he'd fail the conditioning test.)

Either way, he'll be back. We joked yesterday that maybe he wants more money. Whether he wants it or not, look for the Vikings to throw a few extra million onto the $13 million base salary he's due to earn this year. And look for anyone named Wilf to bend a knee and beg Favre to change his mind.

And then look for Favre to reluctantly comply. Possibly as late as the eve of the start of full-blown preparation for the regular-season opener, making Brett's Third Annual Unretirement the dominant story over Labor Day Weekend.

Heck, it's also possible that he never even goes to Minnesota before joining the team, and that he simply jumps the puddles between Hattiesburg to New Orleans, walks into the locker room, belts out a verse or two of Pants on the Ground, asks for a helmet, slaps a few asses, and tells his teammates that it's time to go take care of unfinished business.

When it happens, it will be dramatic. It will be memorable. It will be great.

That's precisely why Favre has decided to retire now. He knows -- whether he's even able to admit it to himself or anyone else -- that he needs to build the drama. And the drama will indeed build.

And come early September we'll all learn what we've suspected for the entire offseason.

Brett Favre will play.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... will-play/

August 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I won't believe him till a full season has been played and he's not back in a uni.

NEVER GIVE UP!

August 3rd, 2010, 12:18 pm
RIP Killer

I hope so... Minn is no good without him.

August 3rd, 2010, 12:20 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

LionsFan4Life wrote:
I won't believe him till a full season has been played and he's not back in a uni.

This is how I feel, at least a full seasn if not two or three. I feel he'll come back and be in camp at the end of August after everyone or nearly everyone will beg him to return and boost his ego even more.

August 3rd, 2010, 12:24 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

steensn wrote:

If Farve doesn't return it definetely puts GB as the front runners in the division but the Vikes will still be a good team. Their dynamics will be different but they'll be better then us and the Bears.

August 3rd, 2010, 12:29 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Childress says he's not aware of Favre's intent to retire
Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2010 12:25 PM ET
Vikings coach Brad Childress arrived at the podium roughly 10 minutes late for his previously-scheduled press conference.

Amazingly, he said nothing about the Brett Favre situation in his opening remarks.

Even more amazingly, the first question had nothing to do with Favre.

The second question dealt with the reason why we were all watching the press conference.

Childress said that he's not aware of Favre telling anyone he's not playing. Seriously.

So either Childress is lying, or Favre has opted to tell folks other than Chilly -- even though the two men have spoken in the past 24 hours.

Childress reiterated that he won't be surprised if Favre does or doesn't play. "He's got to feel like he can jump all in," Childress said. "He's not a half-baked guy."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... to-retire/

August 3rd, 2010, 12:29 pm
RIP Killer

grgrundge wrote:
steensn wrote:

If Farve doesn't return it definetely puts GB as the front runners in the division but the Vikes will still be a good team. Their dynamics will be different but they'll be better then us and the Bears.

Still #2 in the NFC North, but not SB contenders.

August 3rd, 2010, 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next