View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Report: Favre tells Vikings he's not returning 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Report: Favre tells Vikings he's not returning
If he does come back, hopefully someone will force him to retire before week 5

August 3rd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Report: Vikings prepared to offer Favre money, time
Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2010 1:41 PM ET
Regardless of whether Vikings quarterback Brett Favre is getting the word out about his Third Annual Retirement in order to buy time or more money from the team, the end result is that he'll likely be offered more time and/or money from the team.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the Vikings are prepared to offer more money to Favre, over and above his current $13 million, and more time to join the team.

Either way, we still think Favre will play.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... oney-time/

And:

PFT wrote:
Ten reactions to Brett Favre's latest retirement dance
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 3, 2010 2:50 PM ET
Florio doesn't believe Brett Favre will walk away. According to this poll, you guys don't believe Favre either.

Let's see what the rest of the NFL had to say about the sport's longest running and highest-rated soap opera.

1. Most Vikings teammates said they hadn't heard from Favre. Jared Allen revealing pleaded the fifth, but did say, "I still hope we see him in a couple of weeks. But the sun is going to rise tomorrow and we're going to have football whether Brett Favre shows up or not."

2. Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe on SportsCenter: "I'd be lying if I didn't tell you it wasn't a blow to hear something like that. I feel like it may give us a little setback to our team. But it's not nothing that we can't overcome."

3. Unnamed Jets player: "That's [bull], stringing them along this far."

4. Rex Ryan: "If he's not playing in Week 5, I'll be happy as heck."

5. Best pal, Packers G.M. Ted Thompson: "I haven't thought of it. To tell you the truth somebody mentioned it to me out on the practice field, and I don't know anything about it."

6. Packers safety Nick Collins: "You know Brett is Brett. We'll see. Time will tell."

7. Packers linebacker Nick Barnett: "We're going to have the same goal whether it's Tarvaris [Jackson], Jeffrey Dahmer or Norman Bates quarterbacking. We're still trying to do the same thing."

8. Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher when told Favre wasn't coming back: "Not coming back to training camp?"

9. Former teammate Dorsey Levens: "I'll be very surprised if he walks away."

10. Mike Shanahan, Keyshawn Johnson, and just about everyone else: "I'll believe it when I see it."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ent-dance/

August 3rd, 2010, 3:22 pm

I Figured it out. This is all just a stunt so they can reuse those TV commecials where he jokes about being indecisive. When he comes back I mean.

August 3rd, 2010, 3:28 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

You know he's coming back. This is just another typical Favre stunt for attention. :roll:

August 3rd, 2010, 4:24 pm

perhaps the biggest "ME" guy in NFL history

August 3rd, 2010, 5:03 pm
RIP Killer

It is part of the game. I don't know what the infatuation either way is on this.

August 3rd, 2010, 6:37 pm

Really.

List all the players in the NFL who have Retired and un-retired in the past 20 years.

Now list those who have done it twice.

This is not a part of the game. It is a Me guy who can't handle not being the biggest piece of news. We said it the 1st time he pulled this stunt. We were right. We said it the 2nd time he pulled this stunt. We were right. He has yet to prove us wrong.

August 3rd, 2010, 11:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Modmin Dude

August 4th, 2010, 1:00 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Now I'm hearing that the Vikes are willing to up Farve's pay to 20 million with 16 million guaranteed for this year. That is up from the 13 mil that is on his current contract. They'll get him in there, one way or another.

August 4th, 2010, 8:28 am
RIP Killer

Dude, if they offer him what he needs to change his mind, that isn't being a drama queen. That is the Vikings doing a good job.

August 4th, 2010, 9:25 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I never said Brett is a drama queen but I suppose one could argue that he is. Maybe Brett is a shrewd businessman and is trying to get one huge payoff before he is finally finished. Since this is an uncap year, he holds all the aces and the Vikes owner, Ziggy, is desperate and wants a SB ring and he knows Travaris isn't the guy to take him there. This could end up well pass 20 million.

August 4th, 2010, 9:31 am
RIP Killer

If he gets $20 mil, good for him. I think negotiations are part of the game. This is not college at all, never was. Some people get it, some people want it to be as "pure" as college should be. Well it isn't... it's a job, where if done right millions can be had on and off the field. People give guys like ocho cinco a bad wrap, yet he does what is needed to get him millions off the field in addition. Just being a great player gets you so far, but there are millions of endorsements deals out there... even if you have to "play" the bad guy. To a certain extent, it's like a scaled back pro wrestling more and more. People can play the "bad guys" and get more attention which means more money. Why is that bad?

I personally don't think Farve is playing the "bad guy." But he is making sure that his name is till out there so he can continue to market himself.

August 4th, 2010, 10:25 am
Heisman Winner

TheRealWags wrote:

Wags, thats one of the funniest pictures I have ever seen.

August 4th, 2010, 2:19 pm
Modmin Dude

DayDreamer- Thanks, I "borrowed" it from another forum. :wink:

August 4th, 2010, 3:16 pm

steensn, this isnt college. and very few of us think it is pure.. or should be.

I run a Nationwide .com day to day and understand how the real business world works.

If he says to the Public/Media/Ziggy - Hey, I want the largest contract ever, because I am hurting and you need me. Or even in a private room, that is negotiating. The whole retire, un-retire, floating rumors of retirement is playing dirty pool and is unethical business. You can be fine wqith it if you want, and maybe in business you are ok with shadowy deals/coercion/lying as apart of negotiating. I expect more.

Brett Farve is a Drama Queen any way you slice it.

Again I ask, in the last 20 years, how many football players have retired. And then Unretired. And then Retired again, and then un-retired. In this case, I don't for a second believe he ever meant it the 1st 2 times. It was a negotiating/drama queen tactic both times, and this time although it hasnt happened yet, he is stirring up these rumors again as a neogiating ploy combined with a "HEY YOU ARENT TALKING ABOUT ME ESPN.. LOOK AT ME".

If you can't see it you are a blind apologist. And thats ok, but stop pretending that their is something wrong with the rest of the country that has common sense that are pointing out these shenanigans and losing any respect we once had for the Might Interception Machine.

P.S. - Brett Farve was my 2nd Favorite QB in NFL history behind Marino before he retired and un-retired the 1st time. This is not some bitter I hated him all along tirade.

August 4th, 2010, 3:25 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next