View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 18 Game Schedule a Done Deal. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post 18 Game Schedule a Done Deal.
Quote:
Polian: NFL’s 18-game season is “fait accompli”

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 25 minutes ago

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Bill Polian says the 18-game NFL season is a done deal.

During Monday night’s weekly radio show, the Indianapolis Colts team president called it a “fait accompli” and said the debate is over. Polian is a member of the league’s competition committee and has worked in the league office.

He’s concerned that getting rid of two preseason games to expand the regular season from 16 to 18 games will cost coaches and team officials opportunities to evaluate rookies. The solution, Polian says, might be hooking up with nearby teams for combined practices or controlled scrimmages.

League owners and the commissioner have expressed support for an expanded regular-season schedule, but have not said a decision has been made.

September 27th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: 18 Game Schedule a Done Deal.
I saw this and it's kind of ridiculous. Don't the players have something to say about it?

September 27th, 2010, 11:41 pm
Modmin Dude

IMO it will be used as a bargaining chip in the upcoming negotiations. In the end, there will be a 3/17 game schedule.

September 28th, 2010, 9:26 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
NFL won't comment on Polian's 18-game comments
Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2010 1:09 PM ET
During his weekly radio show on Monday, Colts president Bill Polian said that an 18-game schedule is a "fait accompli." Which is Latin or French for "done deal." (Apparently, it's French. Either way, it's not American.)

The blurb initially posted at NFL.com didn't carry many details. The updated story now does, and it makes clear that Polian is opposed to the move.

"I think that the owners, and principally the Commissioner, have decided that it's the way to go, and so the debate, such as it was, is over," Polian said. "I've heard recently, and I'm sorry that this didn't get more coverage earlier, some really, really interesting commentary on it. . . . I wish some of that dialogue had taken place earlier."

The dialogue didn't occur earlier because the debate wasn't framed until it essentially was over. Commissioner Roger Goodell has repeatedly said that the "[f]ans have spoken very clearly" in support of expansion of the season, but the fans who comment at PFT have been mixed at best, with the louder voices opposed to the move.

Polian also lamented the fact that a reduced preseason will make it harder to evaluate the players on the roster. "In a two-game preseason, you're going to have to play the regulars a half and a half," Polian said. "And that's going to take a full game away, essentially a full game away from the rookies who are trying to make the team. So how do you deal with that? Well, you've got to set up evaluative experiences for them in other venues. And I'm hoping that we can get enough camp time to be able to go against the Bears, let's say, or go against the Bengals in a controlled situation. Perhaps the Rams, people nearby."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Associated Press that the league would not be responding to Polian's remarks.

But the fans can respond, if they so choose. The fans can start by putting their comments below.

Even if you've already commented on the subject in response to other posts on the topic, let us know what you think -- and in turn let the NFL know whether or not the "[f]ans have spoken very clearly" in support of adding two regular-season games to the schedule.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -comments/

PFT wrote:
Peyton Manning doesn't want a reduction in offseason workouts
Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2010 1:53 PM ET
Before Colts president Bill Polian spoke out against the possibility of an 18-game season, Colts quarterback Peyton Manning made clear his position that he's not interested in one of the major changes that would go along with an "enhanced" season.

"They're trying to get rid of offseason workouts," Manning told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. "They're talking about extending the season to 18 games, so they're going to cut down the offseason stuff in return. That's not a fair trade. Offseason workouts - that's how we've gotten our edge over the years. It's how you really develop a player and improve your craft.

"Without the offseason, how do we get anybody ready to play? I've thrown to [undrafted receiver] Blair White since we picked him up in April, and there's no way he's ready to play [Sunday] if I don't have those reps with him. In training camp, there just aren't enough reps to get familiar with a guy [near the bottom of the depth chart]. You've got be able to throw to him in the spring - otherwise I wouldn't feel good about rushing him out there."

Of course, not every NFL player would be upset about unproven players having fewer opportunities to prove themselves. Many NFL players aren't stars; they're middle-to-bottom-of-the-packers trying to protect their turf against the annual onslaught of free agents, draft picks, and undrafted rookies, like Blair White. So if more games means fewer opportunities to lose the opportunity to play in those games, the reduction of offseason workouts may be a major selling point for some players.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -workouts/

September 28th, 2010, 4:52 pm

PFT wrote:
Kevin Mawae on 18-game talk: I didn't know Polian had the authority

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 29, 2010 7:49 AM ET
Colts president Bill Polian caused a stir on Monday when he said that an 18-game regular season is a done deal.

NFLPA president Kevin Mawae found that surprising.

"My knee-jerk reaction is that I didn't know [Polian] had the authority to make announcements on his own,'' Mawae told Albert R. Breer of the Boston Globe. "But the way I understand it -- and I had meetings all day -- he said he wasn't in favor of it.''

Breer reports that the league presented the players with a formal proposal on the 18-game season yesterday.

Polian said about the 18-game season is that it's happening no matter who is or is not in favor of it. But Mawae says the union doesn't see it that way.

"From a players' perspective, this is not a done deal,'' Mawae said. "We spent three hours in the bargaining session talking about this and, as players, the thing that concerns us the most is the toll this will take on a player's body. Look at someone like me, a 16-year vet -- that'd be 32 more games. Of all the things we're trying to sell to other players, the 18-game season is the hardest thing to sell.''

But if Polian is right, the league doesn't view the 18-game season as something it has to "sell" on the players at all -- the league views the 18-game season as something it has already decided to implement, whether the players like it or not.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... authority/

September 29th, 2010, 8:15 am
I really don't want to see an 18 game expansion. I love every year teams trying to win 16 straight, the records under the 16 game system, etc. If they go to 18 all of that stuff is out of the window. I don't know that 18 is "too much" but part of what makes the NFL special is that there is only 16 weeks of regular season football (well 17 if you count the bye), and the NFL always leaves you wanting more. Most teams are only "out of it" for 3-4 weeks at the end of the season, and adding a 1/2 of a month to that, IMO isn't in their best interest.

If they want to drop 2 pre-season games, I'm ok with it, but don't add to the reg. season schedule. I really don't see what the fuss is all about with these regular season games. They SHOULD be a time to showcase younger talent and try-out younger talent. They should be more or less optional for secure vets on the team. I don't see why these games are bashed by older vets that are worried about their health and careers. Most of them seem to have petty injuries that keep them out of these games anyhow...

September 29th, 2010, 8:48 am

Well, that was quick:

Quote:
Polian says his 18-game comments were "imprecise"

Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2010 10:46 AM ET
Colts president Bill Polian, who made a big stir on Monday night by describing the league's proposed 18-game season as a "fait accompli," has done a "face about."

Per Anthony Schoettle of IBJ.com, Polian told ESPN Radio that his comments were "imprecise."

"I created a headline that was 180 degrees from what was right," Polian said. "Bad job by me in answering the question."

But good job by Polian, if his goal was to spark a belated debate on whether the league should move from 16 to 18 games. He lamented the fact that a debate hadn't occurred, and it now appears that the debate has commenced.

Setting aside any personality traits that some may regard as displeasing, the fact remains that Polian didn't build three stellar NFL programs by being stupid.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... imprecise/

September 29th, 2010, 12:00 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Well, that was quick:

Quote:
Polian says his 18-game comments were "imprecise"

Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2010 10:46 AM ET
Colts president Bill Polian, who made a big stir on Monday night by describing the league's proposed 18-game season as a "fait accompli," has done a "face about."

Per Anthony Schoettle of IBJ.com, Polian told ESPN Radio that his comments were "imprecise."

"I created a headline that was 180 degrees from what was right," Polian said. "Bad job by me in answering the question."

But good job by Polian, if his goal was to spark a belated debate on whether the league should move from 16 to 18 games. He lamented the fact that a debate hadn't occurred, and it now appears that the debate has commenced.

Setting aside any personality traits that some may regard as displeasing, the fact remains that Polian didn't build three stellar NFL programs by being stupid.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... imprecise/

He musta read my post...

September 29th, 2010, 12:18 pm
RIP Killer

Not a fan...

September 29th, 2010, 1:20 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Peyton Manning has it right, leave it as it is.

NEVER GIVE UP!

September 29th, 2010, 1:35 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

LionsFan4Life wrote:

Dig it. I agree. It's fine the way it is. It keeps everyone hungry and it probably keeps the players healthier than they would be if they had to play 18 regular season games.

September 30th, 2010, 1:32 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Footsoldier32 wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

Dig it. I agree. It's fine the way it is. It keeps everyone hungry and it probably keeps the players healthier than they would be if they had to play 18 regular season games.

That is horse crap. Are you telling me that NFL Players are wimps compared to USFL players?

The USFL played 18 game seasons for 3 years. There was no bigger percentage of injuries in general. And there was no bigger percentage of serious injuries.

September 30th, 2010, 2:36 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
As far as labor agreement goes, 18-game season already is a done deal
Posted by Mike Florio on September 30, 2010 9:18 AM ET

As the belated debate regarding the wisdom of an 18-game season finally has begun to unfold (and, as we've previously said, we think that "enhancement" of the season should end at 17 games), we need to reiterate a little-known point that we first raised in May 2010, but that has gotten lost in the shuffle.

Regarding the question of whether the union will or won't agree to add two regular-season games, the reality is that the union already has agreed.

Under Article XXXVIII, Section 12 of the CBA, the league possesses the ability to increase the regular season to 18 games. The only question not resolved is the specific amount of money that would be paid to the players for the extra games. (The matter would go to arbitration if the league and the union couldn't reach an accord.)

Under Article XXXVII, Section 6, the league is required to use its "best efforts to hold no more than four preseason games."

Thus, the NFLPA has agreed to stage up to 22 preseason and regular-season games per year.

The union likely would respond to this reality by pointing out that the league could have played 18 regular-season games in 2011 and 2012 if the league had opted not to cancel the current labor agreement two years early, and that termination of the CBA wipes the slate clean. But the dynamics of collective bargaining put the union in the position of having to negotiate their agreement to play 18 games out of the deal, which means that the players will have to make a significant concession if the league were to agree to remain at 16 games.

Of course, the same logic applies to the league, which wants to scrap the current system for compensating players, shrinking the slice the players get under the promise of enhancing the total size of the pie.

Regardless of the traditional rituals of the bargaining process, the issue of "enhancement" to the regular season could only exacerbate the tensions between the two sides. In the end, the players likely will agree to it -- but only if the price is right.

In setting the price, the players and the league need to keep two important points in mind. First, adding two games increases by more than 10 percent the number of live reps to which players are exposed each year, which means that the chances of suffering a serious injury increase for each player by more than 10 percent. Second, adding those games increases the chronic wear and tear on every player; for example, playing eight seasons with 18 games equates to nine seasons with 16. The compensation for each player needs to take these short-term and long-term consequences into account.

Also, the league needs to be certain that adding two weeks to the regular season will add enough revenue to justify the potential impact on the players. Some think it's a linear relationship, and that the same average amount of cash generated each week during a 17-week schedule will be realized in weeks 18 and 19. We're not so sure that this is the case, and the reality is that no one will know the answer until it's too late to turn back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... done-deal/

September 30th, 2010, 2:40 pm
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

That is horse crap. Are you telling me that NFL Players are wimps compared to USFL players?

The USFL played 18 game seasons for 3 years. There was no bigger percentage of injuries in general. And there was no bigger percentage of serious injuries.

NFL players are bigger, stronger, and faster than USFL players. It's not even close. Their larger size doesn't offset the increase in violent hits. That's why you don't see as many serious injuries in college as you do in the NFL.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 30th, 2010, 9:08 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
It should be 2 pre-season games, 16 regular.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 1st, 2010, 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next