View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 4:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Roy Williams sticks Cowboys rookie with $54,000 bill 
Modmin Dude

Post Roy Williams sticks Cowboys rookie with $54,000 bill
freep wrote:
Posted: Sept. 29, 2010
The ticker
BY JAMES JAHNKE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Remember the big flap when Cowboys rookie receiver Dez Bryant refused to carry former Lion Roy Williams' pads during training camp? And remember when Williams said it was no big deal ... but Bryant probably would have to buy dinner to make up for it?

That time came Monday night. And the tab was $54,896, according to espndallas.com.

Bryant was set to take Dallas' offensive players to Pappas Bros. Steakhouse, and Williams made sure to invite the defensive players, too.

"They got the young fella," Bryant's adviser, David Wells, told the site. "What could he say? He had to pay it unless he wanted to wash dishes for a month."

Players reportedly ordered basically everything on the menu -- and even took home bottles of wine.

Before you feel too bad for Bryant, know that he received $8.3 million in guaranteed money from his rookie contract.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100929/S ... th-54K-tab

54K, huh? Fricking stooopid if you ask me. Do these morons not realize that many of their fans (and plenty of others) are struggling these days??? Its things like this that could make me hope the owners stick it to them...

September 29th, 2010, 5:05 pm
Post Re: Roy Williams sticks Cowboys rookie with $54,000 bill
TheRealWags wrote:
freep wrote:
Posted: Sept. 29, 2010
The ticker
BY JAMES JAHNKE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Remember the big flap when Cowboys rookie receiver Dez Bryant refused to carry former Lion Roy Williams' pads during training camp? And remember when Williams said it was no big deal ... but Bryant probably would have to buy dinner to make up for it?

That time came Monday night. And the tab was $54,896, according to espndallas.com.

Bryant was set to take Dallas' offensive players to Pappas Bros. Steakhouse, and Williams made sure to invite the defensive players, too.

"They got the young fella," Bryant's adviser, David Wells, told the site. "What could he say? He had to pay it unless he wanted to wash dishes for a month."

Players reportedly ordered basically everything on the menu -- and even took home bottles of wine.

Before you feel too bad for Bryant, know that he received $8.3 million in guaranteed money from his rookie contract.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100929/S ... th-54K-tab

54K, huh? Fricking stooopid if you ask me. Do these morons not realize that many of their fans (and plenty of others) are struggling these days??? Its things like this that could make me hope the owners stick it to them...

What? If anything their spending money helps out the local economy. There were at least 6 waiters/waitresses waiting on them and splitting the tip on that $54,000, the restaurant made a ton of coin on the meal, and I'm sure they spread it around, the valet guys did well that night, and I'm sure the night didn't end there for many of them. How do you call them stupid for going out and spending money in their local economy?

September 29th, 2010, 5:32 pm
RIP Killer

Bingo... if anything they gave the money back to the local economy. Better than buying an overpriced Mercedes and sending all their money to non fans... which they do with most of their money ;)

September 29th, 2010, 6:41 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Blowing a ton of money doesn't really improve the economy. Spending the money in Texas is better for the Texas economy than it would be if you bought a German car with the cash, but overall, blowing your cash is not ideal for the economy.

It would be better to save the money so that a businessman could borrow it to expand/start a business and create jobs. But this is quickly getting off topic...

September 30th, 2010, 12:22 am
RIP Killer

Living in Dallas, there are a lot of great steakhouses here - the steaks just melt in your mouth. That being said, Pappas Bros. Steakhouse is a chain and certainly not what I consider one of the best places to get steaks in Big D. Could have dropped even more $ on a better restaurant than a chain steakhouse.

September 30th, 2010, 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Good for the economy? Please. That's about as good for the economy as buying a $50K Rolex. A big purchase like this would have a marginally positive benefit to the community but it is still wasteful spending. This kind of behavior is why we hear about pro athletes going broke by the age of 40. Want to do something nice for the community? Donate $50K to a soup kitchen.

October 4th, 2010, 1:28 pm
RIP Killer

They weren't trying to benefit the economy, they wanted a night out. Frivolous? Sure.No help? I think the restaurant and the waiters would disagree at the end of the day. It's american farmed food, cooked by americans, waited on by americans... could have bought a Audi though and sent it to Germany I guess...

Fact is that spending money helps the economy. We need rich people to blow money on American stuff to help the American economy. The point is that the rookie got stuck with the bill for the whole team... that sucks!!!

October 4th, 2010, 1:39 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
They weren't trying to benefit the economy, they wanted a night out. Frivolous? Sure.No help? I think the restaurant and the waiters would disagree at the end of the day. It's american farmed food, cooked by americans, waited on by americans... could have bought a Audi though and sent it to Germany I guess...

Fact is that spending money helps the economy. We need rich people to blow money on American stuff to help the American economy. The point is that the rookie got stuck with the bill for the whole team... that sucks!!!

Actully, they only took the offensive players so it could have been worse. This is a very common practice in football, Roy has commented how he and Kevin Jones had to pay for dinner back in Detroit when they were rookies.

October 4th, 2010, 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Yes he was planning on O... but Williams invited the d :)

Quote:

That is the fun part!

October 4th, 2010, 2:08 pm
Blueskies wrote:
Blowing a ton of money doesn't really improve the economy. Spending the money in Texas is better for the Texas economy than it would be if you bought a German car with the cash, but overall, blowing your cash is not ideal for the economy.

It would be better to save the money so that a businessman could borrow it to expand/start a business and create jobs. But this is quickly getting off topic...

I'm not trying to say that he created any jobs by his dinner outting, but he helped the economy more than putting it into a savings account. The banks are so upside-down on their balance sheets that they're not lending any money right now anyhow. Putting it in the bank would have done nothing.

October 4th, 2010, 3:27 pm
QB Coach

Can you imagine the tip? Even at 10% that's a nice haul for a few people I'm sure! And for large groups they generally hit you with an 18% gratuity automatically. That's a few house payments per waiter.....

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 4th, 2010, 9:39 pm
RIP Killer

And once again, the STers get the shaft!

October 5th, 2010, 8:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]