View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Randy Moss traded to Vikes 
RIP Killer

Post Randy Moss traded to Vikes
Pats trade Moss to Vikes for 3rd round pick. He is on the last year of his current contract. This could shake up the NFC North with the Pack missing out on M. Lynch.

October 6th, 2010, 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Randy Moss traded to Vikes
Its not official yet, but should be sometime today

October 6th, 2010, 9:25 am
Modmin Dude

:oops: My mistake, apparently it is a done deal

PFT wrote:
Report: Moss deal is done
Posted by Mike Florio on October 6, 2010 9:00 AM ET
More than 38 years after quarterback Fran Tarkenton returned to the Vikings after once being traded away, receiver Randy Moss has gone home, too.

With the chances of the deal hovering in the high 90th percentile only an hour ago, the deal has been completed, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The Vikings get Moss, and the Patriots get a third-round pick in the 2011 draft.

The looming deal was first reported by Jay Glazer of FOX, who also reports that the deal is done. Glazer reports that the Vikings hope to get Moss to Minnesota ASAP in order to commence preparations for the Monday night game against the Jets. Practices begin on Thursday.

We haven't done the research, but we're assuming that Moss is the first player in NFL history to appear in back-to-back Monday Night Football games.

The parallels between Moss and Tarkenton are eerie. Both players started their careers with the Vikings and spent six years with the team. Both players were gone for five years. Both players eventually returned.

From time to time while talking with Paul Allen of KFAN in recent years, I've told him I had a weird feeling Moss eventually will play for the Vikings again. And at a time when the Vikings are trying desperately to muster public support for a new stadium, the return of the prodigal son could be enough to get the powers-that-be to serve up a fatted calf at midfield of a brand-new venue.

Before that happens, the move will have to sufficiently reverse the fortunes of a 1-2 team that has underachieved in 2010. With Adrian Peterson and Brett Favre and Percy Harvin and Visanthe Shiancoe and possibly at some point Sidney Rice and a defense that has allowed only 38 points in three games, Moss could be the missing piece to the puzzle.

Of course, they thought the same thing about Herschel Walker 21 years ago. The difference is that Herschel was never really all that good, and his arrival felt more like a carpetbagging than a homecoming.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... l-is-done/

October 6th, 2010, 9:27 am
With SD needing a WR so badly I'm surprised that NE couldn't get more than a 3rd rounder for Moss.

October 6th, 2010, 9:30 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I think Minnie got a good deal. Just a 3rd rounder for one of the all time best WRs, especially when the whole world knows they NEED a WR badly.

I wonder how this impacts our next game with the Vikings.

October 6th, 2010, 9:38 am
DayDreamer wrote:

I wonder how this impacts our next game with the Vikings.

I don't wonder... We'll lose again...

October 6th, 2010, 9:39 am
RIP Killer

When Rice comes back it is a pretty scary group - Moss, Rice, Harvin with VS at TE and AP running the ball.

Guess we have another summer of Favre retiring, no retiring, rinse, repeat.

Then again, the Vikes have a lot of contracts that expire after this season.

October 6th, 2010, 9:51 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Wow... that is going to a sick WR corps...

October 6th, 2010, 10:15 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
This is pretty sick that he came back to sota.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 6th, 2010, 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Pablo wrote:
When Rice comes back it is a pretty scary group - Moss, Rice, Harvin with VS at TE and AP running the ball.

Guess we have another summer of Favre retiring, no retiring, rinse, repeat.

Then again, the Vikes have a lot of contracts that expire after this season.

Might take a couple of games for this to gel, but you're right it is going to be a scary group, especially the next time we face them.

NE has a boat load of picks in the next draft, something like two picks in each of the first four rounds.

October 6th, 2010, 10:40 am
RIP Killer

Well, does anyone think that Rice is going to come back to last season form 2.5 months after freaking HIP SURGERY? Come on. He's going to be slower and gimpy for awhile.

October 6th, 2010, 10:41 am
RIP Killer

Fair value for a guy on his last year of his contract and older.

October 6th, 2010, 11:09 am
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thegodjr wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Where do you get this crap from? They could have gotten more, but they chose not to? They could have gotten player(s) + a 3rd rounder, or a 2nd round pick, but they chose to take a 3rd? C'mon... I'm sure NE got all they could get for him.

I think they took the first offer that came at them. In reality, none of us knows, but I agree with conversion that if they waited it out, they could have gotten more. The only problem is they risk not getting anything in that scenario.

So, let me get this straight... 2-3 weeks ago Randy Moss, one of the games best WRs, comes out and states that he's not happy in NE, that he's not "feeling the love" and that he's going to be gone after the season as a "business decision" and NE doesn't get ANY offers, despite the fact that the Bills, San Diego, Minnesota, and others are in dire need for a WR. Then, three weeks later Minny offers what you guys consider to be a low-ball offer, its the only offer that they get, and NE takes it?

Seems kinda far fetched to me...

This might shed a little light on the situation...

PFT wrote:
Sources: Moss was becoming a distraction in New England
Posted by Mike Florio on October 6, 2010 11:03 AM ET
Multiple sources tell us in the wake of the deal that sent receiver Randy Moss from the Patriots to the Vikings for a third-round pick that the trade became a necessity because Moss was becoming an in-house distraction for the Patriots.

Per one source, Moss "was pissing [coach] Bill [Belichick] off at every turn." The source opined that Belichick wouldn't have given Moss to Minnesota for a third-round pick unless Belichick knew that keeping him could hurt the team.

As another source explained it, some players were becoming more and more frustrated with Moss, who reportedly asked for a trade after his Week One postgame tirade regarding his perceived lack of appreciation, based on the actual lack of a contract extension.

That said, other players in the locker room liked Moss and had no problem with him. Still, if enough of them had enough of Moss and if Belichick was indeed growing weary of dealing with the downside of a guy Belichick didn't plan to bring back in 2011, the move makes plenty of sense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... w-england/

October 6th, 2010, 11:31 am
RIP Killer

and a great trade when you consider they got him for a 4th round pick in 2007 and now get a 3rd rounder given that he is now 33 and got nearly 4,000 receiving yards and 50 TDs out of him in the meantime - wow!

October 6th, 2010, 11:34 am
Profile WWW
All that is understandable Wags, Minny wasn't the only "desperate" party in the negotiations, but to insinuate that NE didn't "haggle" with Minny over a multi-million dollar decision is ridiculous.

October 6th, 2010, 11:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next