View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 12:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Vikings need to get Favre off the field, now 
Modmin Dude

Post Vikings need to get Favre off the field, now
PFT wrote:
Vikings need to get Favre off the field, now
Posted by Mike Florio on October 12, 2010 11:47 AM ET

We know that in some circles this will be viewed as blasphemy. But it's time. He's too banged up, and he's too distracted. Most importantly, he's just not getting it done.

The Vikings need to find a way to get Brett Favre off the field.

Two years ago, Tarvaris Jackson entered the season as the starting quarterback in Minnesota. After two losses -- by five to the Packers in their first post-Favre game and three to the Colts -- Jackson unceremoniously was benched, in favor of Gus Frerotte.

Jackson's stats weren't bad. He had completed 30 of 59 passes for 308 yards, with one touchdown and one interception. He also ran for 65 yards against the Packers.

This year, Favre has five touchdown passes and seven interceptions through four games. His passer rating of 67.0 is lower than any full-season rating of his 20-year career.

More importantly, he's banged up and, in crunch time of last night's loss to the Jets, grossly inaccurate. It seems as if he's playing only to show that he can keep playing. With 11 games to go until he accomplishes the unprecedented feat of 300 straight starts and with 12 games to go in the season, we can't imagine Favre stepping aside voluntarily.

It's highly unlikely if not impossible that the Vikings would bench him. But they need to find a way to give T-Jack a chance. The season can still be saved. The defensive is still potent. Adrian Peterson is still Adrian Peterson.

In 1998, when Randy Moss was a rookie, it generally was believed that any quarterback with the arm to throw a deep ball could be a star with Moss running under the rainbow passes and somehow coming up with the catch. So why not Jackson now? Percy Harvin already has become a faster, more explosive version of Wes Welker with Moss clearing out the underneath areas. Given Moss and Harvin, the Vikings simply don't need Favre as much as they thought they did.

Then there's the fact that Jackson was Brad Childress' hand-picked quarterback of the future back in 2006. Childress still believes that Jackson could be that guy, even if the future is taking much longer to unfold than previously believed.

If it happens, it won't be a benching. As Jason Whitlock of FOXSports.com suggested a few weeks back, Favre's cocktail of injuries could result in placement on injured reserve. And as the off-field issues escalate, landing on IR could be a lot more palatable than taking a suspension.

Either way, the Vikings need to seriously consider giving the keys to Tarvaris Jackson. Given that he performed extremely well at times without guys like Harvin and Moss running routes, Jackson could be the slap in the rectum that the Vikings desperately need, right now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... field-now/

October 12th, 2010, 2:41 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Vikings need to get Favre off the field, now
And I thought it would be the Bears that imploded in the NFC North...silly me.

Man, with the other developments that have happened, with a healthy Stafford we really could make the playoffs this year.

October 12th, 2010, 2:50 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Man, with the other developments that have happened, with a healthy Stafford we really could make the playoffs this year.

I almost think we still could, we just have to play like we did against the Rams.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 12th, 2010, 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lions2SB2 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I almost think we still could, we just have to play like we did against the Rams.

Please......just.......stop.

Not every team is the Rams. Not every team will have a rookie QB, with a rookie LT, sub standard players at multiple position on both sides of the ball and a coach who is clearly overwhelmed.

I thought the Lions played a terrific game against St. Louis. They also played terrific against Green Bay, Philly and Chicago. However, they still came up short due to some lapses on a small number of occasions. Against the Rams, those lapses didn't sway the game because St. Louis couldn't move the ball or take advantage like those other teams.

I'd love for the Lions to be able to get into the playoffs. But they aren't there yet, even with the Anointed Savior Matt Stafford. There is nothing to suggest that his arrival is suddenly going to cause the running game to get on track, the linebackers to cover opposing backs better, or the secondary to be even more effective. We may see a couple more deep passes completed. Then again, we may see more interceptions as well due to his trying to throw deep passes he probably shouldn't be. I'm not saying he won't make a difference...I just don't think he's going to have the boost to the team that some feel he will. Besides which, he last two quarters in the first game. Is there any guarantee he won't get hurt again? Remember, he got hurt twice last season.

Just sayin'......

October 13th, 2010, 10:04 pm

m2karateman wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Not every team is the Rams. Not every team will have a rookie QB, with a rookie LT, sub standard players at multiple position on both sides of the ball and a coach who is clearly overwhelmed.

I thought the Lions played a terrific game against St. Louis. They also played terrific against Green Bay, Philly and Chicago. However, they still came up short due to some lapses on a small number of occasions. Against the Rams, those lapses didn't sway the game because St. Louis couldn't move the ball or take advantage like those other teams.

I'd love for the Lions to be able to get into the playoffs. But they aren't there yet, even with the Anointed Savior Matt Stafford. There is nothing to suggest that his arrival is suddenly going to cause the running game to get on track, the linebackers to cover opposing backs better, or the secondary to be even more effective. We may see a couple more deep passes completed. Then again, we may see more interceptions as well due to his trying to throw deep passes he probably shouldn't be. I'm not saying he won't make a difference...I just don't think he's going to have the boost to the team that some feel he will. Besides which, he last two quarters in the first game. Is there any guarantee he won't get hurt again? Remember, he got hurt twice last season.

Just sayin'......

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not overestimating our abilities after the Rams game. I just meant that the NFC North looked like one of the toughest divisions in football at the beginning of the season, and it's quickly going the other way. The Bears are a fraud--I could still see them imploding like Denver did last year. Green Bay is banged up, their defense is suspect, and they haven't shown the ability to win big games. And Minnesota is a real train wreck--most likely due to them having a coach who's lost control of his team. I'm saying you can see opportunities there that maybe weren't obvious before.

October 14th, 2010, 10:03 am
1st Round Pick

m2karateman wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Just sayin'......

We been in mostly every game, were not a bad team even thought the record may show it.

October 14th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Lions2SB2 wrote:
We been in mostly every game, were not a bad team even thought the record may show it.

So, we're like that cute, nice guy at the bar that buys a girl drinks all night and goes home with his richard in his hand... Perfect!

Those guys and these types of teams don't make it in the big leagues! We're not a playoff team, deal with it.

October 14th, 2010, 5:53 pm
RIP Killer

someone sounds like they are experienced with that lol

October 15th, 2010, 7:29 am
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:

Those guys and these types of teams don't make it in the big leagues! We're not a playoff team, deal with it.

Were close.. we just need our doll to quit getting hurt every year.

October 17th, 2010, 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
conversion02 wrote:
someone sounds like they are experienced with that lol

I am! I use to hook up with their women after they were done buying them drinks!

:cheers:

October 18th, 2010, 2:20 pm
Modmin Dude

Wasn't sure where to put this...

The VIkings new logo:

October 21st, 2010, 5:07 pm

Awesome

October 21st, 2010, 5:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

hahahahahahahahahaha

it's a wiener! lol

October 21st, 2010, 8:54 pm

I've never liked Favre (for obvious reasons) and he seems like a total a**hole off the field, but did anybody else feel sorry for him at the end of the game last night?

October 25th, 2010, 12:51 pm
RIP Killer

He admitted to the phone messages...

October 25th, 2010, 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next