View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Childress fined for comments 
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Childress fined for comments
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ba46f5/article/league-fines-vikings-coach-childress-35k-for-public-criticism?module=HP_headlines

Quote:
After a narrow loss to a bitter division rival, Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress seethed at what he called "the worst-officiated game I've seen."

On Tuesday, he paid for it.

The NFL fined Childress $35,000 for criticizing officials and disclosing confidential conversations with the league's officiating department.

Childress sharply criticized the officiating crew after Sunday night's 28-24 loss to the Green Bay Packers. He was particularly upset with a replay reversal of a touchdown catch by Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe. He also was upset by a facemask call against right tackle Phil Loadholt and a non-call on a hold that enabled Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers to scramble for a first down.

The biggest play was Shiancoe's touchdown catch. He made a diving grab in the end zone and appeared to secure the ball as he rolled onto his back. Officials ruled it a touchdown but, upon review, overturned the call. The Vikings had to settle for a field goal.

Childress first rebuked the officials on the postgame radio show on KFAN. He continued his criticism in his postgame news conference, saying "50 drunks in a bar" would have made the correct call on Shiancoe's catch.

On Monday, Childress told the media that he spoke to Carl Johnson, the league's vice president of officiating, about the missed call.

"I was told this morning that that was a touchdown by Carl Johnson," Childress said. "He was disappointed to see that reversed."

That, apparently, is another no-no in the NFL.

An NFL spokesman said Childress was fined "for violating long-standing league policies that prohibit public criticism of officiating and the disclosure of confidential conversations with the head of the NFL officiating department."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday that league policy is not to comment on conversations between Johnson and the clubs. Aiello said Johnson "is obligated to give his factual opinion of any call that is questioned by a club." But the policy also "states that all such conversations are confidential and are not to be discussed publicly," Aiello said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

For as much as I hate Brad Childress, this is ridiculous. I don't think he or anyone should have to pay 35k just to speak his/their mind. I don't care if he can afford it. This is a stupid punishment. He's right, the officiating has been crappy. All year. Across the entire league, it hasn't just been an isolated incident. Eventually, the NFL will need to stand up and take responsibility for their poor judgement. They may be the richest and/or most powerful Professional Sport league in the U.S. or world but that doesn't mean that they can't be wrong and it doesn't mean that they are untouchable.

October 27th, 2010, 12:02 am
Post Re: Childress fined for comments
I think the NFL should be able to muzzle their employees from speaking out against the organization, but I do think that the officiating has been particularly terrible this year. That said, the call on Shianco's TD was absolutely ridiculous, and likely cost the Vikings the game. I don't think that there's anything wrong with fining Childress for his comments, but what troubles me is the fact that the NFL isn't doing anything to these piss poor excuses of referees.

October 27th, 2010, 1:00 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Weren't these the same refs that screwed the Lions?

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 27th, 2010, 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

Gene Sterratore, I believe, was the guy that effed the Lions in week 1. He was the ref that effed the Dolphins this week. You should see what those fans are saying over at some of their boards. I guess it's been confirmed that the dood is from the Pittsburgh area. . .

October 27th, 2010, 3:31 pm
I'd like to see someone get fired. Preferably the guy that mis-called the Shianco TD.

October 27th, 2010, 5:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]