View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Now we can find out about Troy... 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Detroit Lions work out linebacker Bobby Carpenter
The world is round... fact
The sky is blue... fact
The sun is bright... fact

Therefore the grass is green...

Just because you can list a bunch of facts, doesn't mean they are relevant to someone's ability to start. No, just because he is getting a start doesn't mean he is a starting quality QB, what he does during that start does matter. Just like him NOT getting a start because of good QB's in front of him doesn't mean he isn't a starting quality QB.

October 28th, 2010, 1:00 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Now we can find out about Troy...
Considering that my comment was centered around ALEX Smith and NOT TROY, your comment is pretty pointless.

Thanks. Can I have that 15 seconds back?

October 28th, 2010, 1:14 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
Considering that my comment was centered around ALEX Smith and NOT TROY, your comment is pretty pointless.

You mixed in a little Troy at first.

October 28th, 2010, 1:19 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

You mixed in a little Troy at first.

In saying "It'll be the same for Troy" (FYI, that was in the middle, when I was talking solely about Alex)

October 28th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Post Re: Smith
wi7son wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
steensn wrote:
I put quotes because I don't think a return man is a first rounder., we had the conversation above. I's rather have a Spellman with 30 sacks in his first 5 years than a great return man. I'd rather have Dudley with 350, 555, 549, 787, 386 yard receiving seasons and 33 TD' as a TE than a great return man. Heck, we even had him on our team, what good did that do us.

Wait a minute. A return man isn't a first rounder, but Ted Ginn needs some sort of pass for not producing "yet"? Obviously if you're a good enough returner you ARE a first round pick, as evidence by Ted Ginn AND Desmond Howard's draft selection.

I'll add... I know this is probably limited to first rounders (I wasn't paying attention when this pissing contest started), but what about players out of OSU that Steen was so sure of like Troy Smith. You and I argued for years that Troy Smith would NEVER be an NFL Qb - looks like I was right on that one...

Actually looks like your wrong on this one WJB, Troy just jumped David Carr for the starting position to replace Alex in SF this Sunday.

You act like "jumping" David Carr on a depth chart is an accomplishment... And I'll add, Troy didn't pass David Carr, David Carr played himself out of the #2 spot. He looked horrible when he came in for A. Smith.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown on October 28th, 2010, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 28th, 2010, 1:33 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

SanFran is grasping at QBs there much like I am in Lionbacker's FF this year.

NEVER GIVE UP!

October 28th, 2010, 3:16 pm
RIP Killer

Jumping David Carr isn't an accomplishment and he did play himself out. But the point is that he is getting his shot so why are we worried what our OPINIONS are of his abilities. Why don;t we wait to see how he plays to determine if he is ready. Based on history, he has this year and next to get something done or he'll just be a career backup (not a bad job for $1 millions a season).

October 28th, 2010, 5:14 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

steensn wrote:
Jumping David Carr isn't an accomplishment and he did play himself out. But the point is that he is getting his shot so why are we worried what our OPINIONS are of his abilities. Why don;t we wait to see how he plays to determine if he is ready. Based on history, he has this year and next to get something done or he'll just be a career backup (not a bad job for $1 millions a season).

Cuz we LOOOVE giving you a hard time! lol (silly buckeye!)

October 30th, 2010, 12:13 pm
RIP Killer

12/19 196 yards 1TD and 1 Rush TD for a 24-16 win.

October 31st, 2010, 4:17 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

against the 2-6 broncos... I like Troy, but I think he's backup material not a starter. If he can put a string of wins together then maybe i'd change my mind.

October 31st, 2010, 6:25 pm
RIP Killer

That is fine, all I am saying is he just needs a chance and I THINK he'll show he is an OK NFL QB. He led a 1-6 Niner team against a 2-5 Broncos team. Let's not down play the ineptitude of the Niners in this because the Broncos suck.

October 31st, 2010, 6:44 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Forget about Troy--what do you know about ROY Smith? :lol: #-o

Quote:
November 1, 2010

San Francisco 24, Denver 16

Ex-Buckeye Roy Smith lifts 49ers in London

QB fuels rally, running for a TD and throwing for another in 4th

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

WEMBLEY, England -- With a change of scenery and a change of quarterback, maybe the San Francisco 49ers still can turn their season around.

After winning only one of their first six games, the 49ers and backup Troy Smith turned it on in the fourth quarter Sunday to beat the reeling Denver Broncos, 24-16, in the NFL's fourth regular-season game in London.

"Even though we missed some things early on, I think the rhythm was put in place to make some plays later on," said Smith, who was making his first start as a 49er in place of the injured Alex Smith and the third of his career.

Smith, the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner from Ohio State, completed three long passes in the fourth quarter to get the offense going. Trailing, 10-3, and struggling all day, Smith tied the score by rushing for a 1-yard touchdown after completing back-to-back passes to Delanie Walker.

Less than 5 minutes later, Smith threw a 28-yard touchdown pass to Michael Crabtree with 7:23 left to put San Francisco (2-6) ahead, 17-10. Frank Gore scored another TD with 3:47 to go.

Smith finished with 196 yards on 12-for-19 passing. Gore helped with a productive day on the ground, rushing for 118 yards on 29 carries.

Coach Mike Singletary wouldn't say whether Troy Smith won the job.

"We're going into the bye week, and as far as Alex Smith is concerned, it's a week-to-week deal," Singletary said. "I'll wait and talk to our doctors, trainers, whatever. But we'll make those decisions as we need to."

The Broncos (2-6) got their first touchdown in the third quarter when Tim Tebow ran in from a yard after Kyle Orton connected with Brandon Lloyd for 71 yards. Orton (369 yards passing) pulled the Broncos within a score with 2:19 left, hitting Lloyd for a 1-yard touchdown. But Matt Prater shanked the extra-point attempt.
http://www.freep.com/article/20101101/S ... 1049/rss14

November 1st, 2010, 10:18 am
RIP Killer

Lol.. ouch.

November 1st, 2010, 10:30 am
RIP Killer

It's not hard to win when your TEAM plays like they should. SF has a perennial 100+ yard rusher who has been used horribly (and got off to a poor start himself) and a very good defense who has played like garbage. Winning while throwing 19 passes says it all. Sure, Troy looked pretty good, I was surprised, but just because QBs are on winning teams doesn't mean they're good - case in point - REX GROSSMAN.

November 1st, 2010, 10:36 am
RIP Killer

Oh, so a 1-6 Niner's team is a winning team? Heck, now they are 2-6, same as the Lions.... Niners/Lions NFC Championship game!!! I called it first!

Look, he looked OK, just as I thought he would. He looked like a serviceable starting NFL QB. No INT's, no big mistakes, led his team to a win with his arm and his leg in the 4th. He looked as I expected.

November 1st, 2010, 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next