View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 1:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Bubba Franks Threatens to Holdout 
RIP Killer

Post Bubba Franks Threatens to Holdout
Packers: Franks' agent teases holdout
The News

Tight end Bubba Franks has yet to sign the one year, $2.095 million transitional contract tender the Packers offered him in March. Although he still has until July 22 to sign the tender or take offers from other teams, Franks' agent left the door open for a possible holdout. "It's doubtful (he'd play for the tender), but you never know," agent Gene Mato told the Green Bay News-Chronicle on Tuesday.
Our View
League rules prohibit players from attending offseason workouts when they are not under contract, so we do not expect Bubba to take part in this weekend's minicamp. Teams can still sign Franks to an offer sheet before July 22, but the Packers have the right to match any offer he might receive. If the Packers decline to match such an offer, they will not receive compensation for losing the five-year veteran.

April 28th, 2005, 8:00 am
Modmin Dude

Is it me or are the Packers really going down hill fast??? Where's Nitchke to fill us in on some of the 411???

April 28th, 2005, 9:13 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I think Nitchke is gonna be in hibernation for a few years while the Packers try and rebuild :D

May 2nd, 2005, 6:56 am
National Champion

Doesn't it seem like the whole Packers team is holding out? If this keeps up they might have to forfeit that first game against the Lions...

May 2nd, 2005, 11:31 pm
RIP Killer

Javon Walker is holding out now too. Man, wouldn't that be a swift kick in the rectum if Favre were to lose Walker and Franks?

May 3rd, 2005, 7:36 am
Hall of Fame Player

Javon Walker is holding out now too. Man, wouldn't that be a swift kick in the rectum if Favre were to lose Walker and Franks?

Yes it would.

GB is in trouble this year.

May 3rd, 2005, 7:47 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

GB is in trouble this year.

I'm just going to believe it when I see it.

They just get it done every year... even though we always say "they're going downhill"

But I have to admit... they are losing a lot of pieces of their offense, and didn't improve their defense too much.

May 3rd, 2005, 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I'm just going to believe it when I see it.

They just get it done every year... even though we always say "they're going downhill"

But I have to admit... they are losing a lot of pieces of their offense, and didn't improve their defense too much.

They do "get er dun" every year, don't they?

I'm just hoping this year is different - Favre and Mike Sherman both look worn out and tired. This division is just dying to pick them off too. I travel to Chicago and Minneapolis a lot and the fans there hate GB more than any other team in the NFL. It's time.

May 4th, 2005, 6:08 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Vikings' safety Darren Sharper had harsh words for former teammate Brett Favre on Wednesday. Upon learning that the Packers' quarterback criticized teammate Javon Walker for not attending a recent minicamp, Sharper took his turn on the soapbox. "What's going on with the minicamps and whether or not Javon's there ? Brett wasn't at minicamp so it really doesn't make a difference who is there," Sharper told Sirius Radio. "He wasn't there, so he shouldn't have anything to say about Javon not being there." Sharper and Favre were teammates for eight seasons in Green Bay.

May 5th, 2005, 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The saga in GB continues:

Vikings' safety Darren Sharper had harsh words for former teammate Brett Favre on Wednesday. Upon learning that the Packers' quarterback criticized teammate Javon Walker for not attending a recent minicamp, Sharper took his turn on the soapbox. "What's going on with the minicamps and whether or not Javon's there ? Brett wasn't at minicamp so it really doesn't make a difference who is there," Sharper told Sirius Radio. "He wasn't there, so he shouldn't have anything to say about Javon not being there." Sharper and Favre were teammates for eight seasons in Green Bay.

Since Sharper is no longer on the team, I feel it is he who needs to shut up.

May 5th, 2005, 3:04 pm
RIP Killer

Since Sharper is no longer on the team, I feel it is he who needs to shut up.

I agree, but he does have a point. Since Favre wasn't there himself, it is pretty tough for him to be critical of Walker.

May 5th, 2005, 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I agree, but he does have a point. Since Favre wasn't there himself, it is pretty tough for him to be critical of Walker.

Not being there because your wife is battling cancer is a far cry than not being there because you have a break out year, mainly due to your future HOF QB getting you the ball, and then deciding you're better than what they pay you. Walker sounds like a clone of Terrell Owens to me. And that's not a compliment coming from me.

May 5th, 2005, 3:18 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I also believe that I read that Mike Sherman told Favre not to come to mini-camp.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 5th, 2005, 5:02 pm
RIP Killer

I think this is a great part of his article on NFL.com

I TIP MY HAT TO THE TEAM LEADERS

No one ever said it was easy to be a leader. In fact, most of us don't have the skills, aptitude or risk taking to be effective leaders. For the record, Webster's Dictionary defines leadership and a leader as "one who can direct, command or be the guiding head of a group."

Brett Favre only wants to throw passes to teammates that want to be on the field.
Not every team in the NFL has a leader on the roster, but for those teams who possess a leader, it is time for him to stand up and take notice of what some of the team leaders are doing around the NFL. Brett Favre said it best in an interview with Packersnews.com: "My job is to throw passes and be a leader. That's why I decided to speak up. I need to be a leader, and even though I may not like having to do it, I think some things needed to be said." Of course the subject was the decision of a Packers wide receiver Javon Walker to not attend practice sessions because he wants more money.

Everyone wants more money, and as one 13-year NFL veteran player said on my Sirius radio show this morning, "The money will take care of itself if you're good enough." That's the truth and it's about time players realize they are the employer and not the employee when it comes to the relationship with their agents.

Donovan McNabb and young Eli Manning have both been compelled to speak up about issues involving players who do not participate in the team activities. Football is a game of synchronization between 11 players at a time and it takes a lot of hard work together to even have a chance to look like a team. If individual activities are your thing, then take up golf or bowling. Sign up for a marathon or try swimming. Football is the ultimate team sport, and there's no doubt it needs leaders.

Leaders don't have to be loud and out in the public with issues, but when team members don't exhaust every possible avenue to get what they want before they resort to not practicing, then what can the leaders do to keep the team moving forward? I asked one prominent New England Patriot why his team didn't appear to have these problems and he made a very powerful statement. He said, "That is not part of our culture." Another Patriot said, "Those kind of people wouldn't survive here." Don't believe for a second that the pressure to put the team ahead of individuals is driven by head coach Bill Belichick. It is peer pressure among the players to have team goals.

written by: Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Senior Analyst

May 6th, 2005, 9:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]