View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Helmet to Helmet Hits 
Modmin Dude

Post Helmet to Helmet Hits
Haven't seen any threads on this topic yet, so thought I'd give it a shot :wink:

NBC Miami wrote:
NFL New Hit Rules Are for the Soft at Heart
The NFL wants to pacify its players. Bring out the flags.

By TODD WRIGHT

Bone-jarring hits. Getting jacked up. De-cleaters.

Those are all terms synonymous with strapping on a chin strap and shoulder pads. The NFL used to be a place for the men of men, athletes who gave up their bodies willingly for the sake of glory and victory in the ultimate team sport.

But the NFL's move to suspend players essentially for the hard hits that have elevated the league into professional sports dominance is a move in the wrong direction.

"Garbage man is going to stink after he gets off work, right? Because he deals with garbage all day,'' Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder told the Miami Herald. "You play football, you have a damn chance to get hit in the head. You're going to get a concussion because you have on a helmet and people can get you with a helmet. If you don't want to get hit in the head, don't play football.''

Honestly, the league has been moving this way for years. Yellow hankies for personal fouls are more prevalent in today's game than the number of fans wearing brown bags on their heads at a Detroit Lions game.

It seems like if you touch a player on the foot after the whistle, look at a quarterback the wrong way when he drops back to pass or scream too loud at a receiver going across the middle, the referee is going to throw a flag for unnecessary roughness.

But now the NFL has taken the tackle out of tackle football with its latest knee jerk reaction to an otherwise exciting weekend of football.

"We can't and won't tolerate what we saw Sunday," said Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations. "We've got to get the message to players that these devastating hits and head shots will be met with a very necessary higher standard of accountability. We have to dispel the notion that you get one free pass in these egregious or flagrant shots."

There was nothing flagrant about any of the shots that made players woozy Sunday. Men going 100 mph collided. It happens every week and has been the case for decades.

What's egregious is the notion that defensive players should ignore their instincts to break up a pass or cause a turnover. If the NFL doesn't want head contact, then remove helmets from the equation and start handing out red and blue flags for players to wear around their waists.

Who wouldn't want to see more of Tom Brady's new hairdo or Drew Brees' boyish looks?

The new rules severely and unfairly hamstring a defense, which is already at a disadvantage. Who is going to risk laying out a receiver to break up a pass when they know a game check and a multiple game suspension might be on the line?

Player safety is important, but every NFL player knew the risks when they put on their first set of cleats in pee wee football. The NFL is risking losing the players and the fans by legislating what is as integral to football as the pigskin itself.

If you don't want to go home stinking, then don't become a garbage man.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/NFL ... 66838.html

I have seen a lot of people (writers, players, fans, etc) say that the NFL is instituting "New" rules, however this is incorrect. There are no "New" rules (which rarely happens mid-season), but instead there is an "emphasis on CURRENT rules." Yes, that right, these rules ARE ALREADY IN PLACE but for whatever reason haven't been enforcred until now (which, IMO is what the real discussion should be about).

What say you?

October 21st, 2010, 10:28 am
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Helmet to Helmet Hits
Further evidence that there are no new rules:

PFT wrote:
Roger Goodell reiterates that rules regarding helmet hits aren't changing
Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2010 10:24 AM ET

In both a Wednesday night appearance at the Sports Legacy Institute's third annual "Impact Awards" in Boston and a radio segment Thursday morning on WEEI in Boston, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell addressed publicly the issue that has taken the league by storm since Sunday.

Goodell emphasized in both settings that the rules aren't changing.

"I'd start with the basics," Goodell said Wednesday night, via Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald. "I think there's been a lot of misrepresentation. We're not talking about changing the rules. We're going to increase the discipline. We're not changing anything other than discipline."

Goodell didn't identify any specific sources of the misrepresentation, but the media has been the biggest culprit by far, stirring up the nest of current and former players by suggesting on Monday night that "devastating hits" generally would be banned.

That's not the case. As Goodell said on WEEI's Dennis & Callahan, "There is no change in the rules. . . . We've identified certain techniques that we want to take out of the game. What we're looking to take out are those hits to the head against defenseless receivers."

Though the rules won't change, the enforcement will. It already has, via $175,000 in fines for three separate incidents from Week Six.

Somewhat surprisingly, Goodell said he doubts that ejections will be used. Nearly three years ago, the league sent a memo to all teams warning that officials had been instructed to eject players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits. No player has been ejected since then for a flagrant helmet-to-helmet hit. Apparently, no players will be ejected moving forward.

Instead, the league will defer to in-game penalties and/or post-game discipline via fines and suspensions. Goodell said on WEEI that officials have been instructed to err on the side of throwing a flag. If the officials don't see the illegal hit, the tapes will still be evaluated by the league office for possible discipline.

Goodell also insisted that each of the hits that drew big fines on Sunday were illegal. Some in the media, including employees of the league's own broadcast network, have argued that the hit applied by Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson to Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson was not a violation. The guy who runs the broader show disagrees.

Goodell said he understands that defenders are trying to separate the ball from the receiver. But Goodell explained that there are other techniques that can be used without hitting the receiver with the helmet or in the head.

And the Commissioner seems undeterred by the fact that folks are complaining that the new focus will change the game for the worse, pointing to the fact that similar complaints were made when techniques like the head slap and crackback block were banned. "If it changes the game for player safety, that's a good thing," Goodell said.

He also freely admitted that part of the motivation for the emphasis on the issue comes from the ongoing push for an 18-game season. Though some view the connection as hypocritical, we think it's consistent. The league knows that, in order to play 18 games, steps need to be taken to promote safety in each of those games.

Sure, the addition of two more games of live reps will necessarily result in more injuries, both acute and chronic. That's unavoidable. But there should be fewer concussions based on the league's decision to enforce aggressively the rules that already are on the books.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

I've heard it said several places, but IMO it's not getting enough air-time, but the way to get these illegal hits out of football is to focus on the fundamentals of tackling. These players just do not know how to tackle properly anymore (probably partially because they're not allowed to practice it). Also, Steve Young said that part of the problem is that there just aren't that many 'good' QBs in the league and because of this, they tend to lead their WRs into dangerous situations where they'll get hit. Another thing that will need to change is that ESPN, Fox Sports and ALL media outlets need to stop glorifying these types of hits. They also need to take a stand. There is nothing wrong with a good, clean hit; but to glorify an illegal hit is wrong IMO. Who knows, maybe they (media) should be fined as well.....

October 21st, 2010, 10:34 am
RIP Killer

I agree it isn't a new rule, but is the enforcement new?

October 21st, 2010, 10:36 am
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
I agree it isn't a new rule, but is the enforcement new?

The emphasis on large $$$ fines and suspensions (going forward) is. I'd like to know why they're waiting until now to finally enforce these rules.... The NFL has to take responsibility for their lack of enoforcement just as much as the players and coaches do for not tackling correctly and the media does for glorifying the hits.

October 21st, 2010, 10:39 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Channing Crowder chimes in on helmet-to-helmet hits
Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2010 8:25 PM ET

No discussion on any key issue in the NFL is complete until we hear from Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder.

And Crowder has spoken on the issue of helmet-to-helmet hits, offering up possibly the top sound bite of his career, even better than when he said he didn't realized people in London spoke English. (It sounds like one of those made up Family Guy flashbacks, but it really happened.)

"If they're going to keep making us go more and more and more like a feminine sport, we're going to wear pink every game, not just on the breast cancer months," Crowder said, per Hal Habib of the Palm Beach Post.

"They can complain, they can suspend, they can fine and they can do whatever they want, but you can't stop a man from playing football the way he's been playing since high school," Crowder said, per Andy Kent of FanHouse.com. "If you go back to James Harrison when he was in high school or middle school, I bet he was hitting people just as hard back then."

Crowder raises a good point -- and the message is that these rules need to trickle down to every lower level of the sport, so that in 2030 the kids who will have become the pros will know how to properly hit and tackle.

It's not that complicated. First, don't lead with your helmet, ever. Second, don't hit a guy who has just caught a pass with your helmet and don't hit him in the head or neck with any other part of your body.

Still, the men currently playing in the NFL need to at least try to change. It sounds like Crowder won't.

"When I drop back in coverage and I see a receiver running a crossing route and I'm about to break on him and hit him I'm not going to think about, 'Well let me turn my shoulder or let me aim at his torso.' I'm just looking to knock the hell out of him," Crowder said. "So they can't change the game. If they really want to change it they'll take our face masks off, but anything they do is not going to work."

If it doesn't work, the fund of fines that goes to help former players will grow to unprecedented levels, and guys like Crowder will get a few extra bye weeks, without pay.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... lmet-hits/

October 21st, 2010, 10:44 am
RIP Killer

I remember back in the day when they were talking about some Safety that would hit hard to get fines and his rational was that "It'd going to charity anyways, so every time I nail a guy to hard I help out kids." Can't remember who it was...

October 21st, 2010, 11:39 am
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
I remember back in the day when they were talking about some Safety that would hit hard to get fines and his rational was that "It'd going to charity anyways, so every time I nail a guy to hard I help out kids." Can't remember who it was...

:shock:
*facepalm*
](*,)

October 21st, 2010, 12:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Not sure if anyone else reads TMQ (Tuesday Morning Quarterback) on ESPN Page 2 (comes out every Tues during season), but it is the best written football article around during the season.

And the author, Gregg Easterbrook has been harping for 3 years on how silly lack of concussion protection is, and how simple it would be to solve. They have a new form of helmet, I believe High Schools are forced to use it, but Colleges and Pros wont force their players. It reduces Concussions by up to 50% or more. Additionally a molded mouthpiece can make a huge difference and should be required. Also, almost 100% of the time you see a helmet fly off, it did not fit right (too big for comfort/loose) or the chin strap was not buckled. THis is agaisnt the rules (BOTH) but is never called by refs. Call 2 penalties next week for chin strap issues, and I guarantee coaches will start screaming at players to do it right.

The NFl doesnt give a flying fudge about its players (other than maybe the top 20 stars) current or past, or even future. This is all a PR move/Stunt so that when the next guy gets paralyzed from a hit they can say "At least we tried.. "

If they want to fix the problems and especially if they plan to go to 18 game season, enforce just those 3 changes, and not only will pros be safer, colleges will follow suit, and the future PRO players or america will be healtheir as well, in addition to the 99.8% of HS and College players that will never play a snap in the NFL.

I have loved football my whole life, but there is no chance in hell my kid plays football before highschool, and even then, only if they make more safety based changes in the future. I played myself for 3 years, and messed my body up for the rest of my life. People underestimate trhe damage caused by concussions. YOU ARE BRUISING YOUR BRAIN basically.

October 21st, 2010, 2:34 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

DJ-B wrote:
Not sure if anyone else reads TMQ (Tuesday Morning Quarterback) on ESPN Page 2 (comes out every Tues during season), but it is the best written football article around during the season.

And the author, Gregg Easterbrook has been harping for 3 years on how silly lack of concussion protection is, and how simple it would be to solve. They have a new form of helmet, I believe High Schools are forced to use it, but Colleges and Pros wont force their players. It reduces Concussions by up to 50% or more. Additionally a molded mouthpiece can make a huge difference and should be required. Also, almost 100% of the time you see a helmet fly off, it did not fit right (too big for comfort/loose) or the chin strap was not buckled. THis is agaisnt the rules (BOTH) but is never called by refs. Call 2 penalties next week for chin strap issues, and I guarantee coaches will start screaming at players to do it right.

The NFl doesnt give a flying fudge about its players (other than maybe the top 20 stars) current or past, or even future. This is all a PR move/Stunt so that when the next guy gets paralyzed from a hit they can say "At least we tried.. "

If they want to fix the problems and especially if they plan to go to 18 game season, enforce just those 3 changes, and not only will pros be safer, colleges will follow suit, and the future PRO players or america will be healtheir as well, in addition to the 99.8% of HS and College players that will never play a snap in the NFL.

I have loved football my whole life, but there is no chance in hell my kid plays football before highschool, and even then, only if they make more safety based changes in the future. I played myself for 3 years, and messed my body up for the rest of my life. People underestimate trhe damage caused by concussions. YOU ARE BRUISING YOUR BRAIN basically.

As I heard one guy explain it, impartial medical professionals are not convinced that the helmets do anything to prevent concussions. The reason being a concussion is the result of the brain rattling around inside the head, so it's more about the force of the hit than any direct contact. It's like you could protect the outside of a car but if there's a big enough crash and you don't have airbags, the people inside are going to be shaken up. Not sure if that's true but I thought I would add it to the discussion.

I see nothing wrong with ejecting a player for an illegal hit. Soccer and basketball players can get ejected, why not football players?

October 21st, 2010, 3:54 pm

While there is a lot of truth to that, in that you arent going to prevent them all, and the force of the hit is the #1 factor, but the new helmets are fitted with more cussioning (spelling), so that the Head inside the helmet doesnt become the beans inside a maraca when you get hit. Just a correct fitting helmet will indeed reduce the chance of a concussion, but they will still happen. Fools who wear loose helmets or chin straps are more likely to get them. Picture this... with lack of the new cushioning combined with a loose helmet, .. our heads hit, or even my helmet hits your chest, and then since it has space to move my head moves forward and slams into my helmet itself... and you almost get a double head hit, from a single collision.

Its still football, people will stillg et hurt, but these are mind-numbingly dumb and easy things to fix... which is just proof of my "The Powers Raking in the $$$ don't really care" theory.

Dont legisltate accidental hits.. start with the easy stuff... improve the equipment.

October 21st, 2010, 4:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Personally I agree somewhat with JoePa, I think helmets need to devolve rather than evolve.

The more you improve a weapon, the more people want to use it. And the helmet has gone from a simple form of protection to something that is quite often used as a weapon. Perhaps not intentionally, with malice of forethought....but techniques in tackling and hitting have changed since the times when guys simply wore leather helmets with a little padding and no face masks.

I agree that the players should be better protected. But you can only do so much to the helmet to prevent concussions. It's not just the padding or fit, but the force that the helmet is hit with that is transmitted through the helmet and into the cranium. Unless there is a foolproof way to adequately dissipate the force before it reaches the brain, you are just making the helmet stronger for use in aggression rather than protection.

October 21st, 2010, 9:11 pm

Seen in the Vikings locker room:

:lol:

October 22nd, 2010, 7:43 am

PFT wrote:
News flash: Helmets can’t prevent concussions

Posted by Mike Florio on November 13, 2010, 5:52 AM EST
In searching the Internet for NFL stories that may interest you early on a Saturday morning, we found one about concussions that, frankly, makes us feel like we’ve had a concussion.

According to the Associated Press, current helmet technology cannot prevent concussions.

As if all the concussions in football suffered by guys wearing helmets based on current technology weren’t enough proof of that reality.

But, still, the AP conducted a “series of interviews” aimed at proving the obvious. It’s not a bad primer for someone who just emerged from a 20-year slumber or who just discovered football. For folks who have been paying attention to the sport, it’s the equivalent of assembling a panel of physicists and other folks with advanced degrees in science to identify for the rest of us the color of the sky.

Permalink 0 Comments Latest Stories in: Home, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, Rumor Mil
l

November 13th, 2010, 10:40 am

Not only did he say absolutely nothing with that. Hes an idiot and wrong.

Lol, helmets don't HELP prevent concussions. Lol, what a joke.

November 15th, 2010, 3:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Im really comming around to Jo-Pa's thinkin latley. If you want people to stop leading with their heads (and causing concussions) take away their wepons. Take away the helmets and put on the old school lether helpmets and watch players start feeling a little less invincible. they WILL stop leading with their heads, becuase they KNOW they will probably hurt themselves. I agree with him that addition by subtraction would probably do better than throwing more foam inside hardened weapon that helmets have become.

November 16th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next