View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 2011 CBA Thread 
RIP Killer

Post Re: 2011 CBA Thread
NFL players are not very bright as evidenced by the weakest CBA of the major pro sports.

If I'm a player, the work stoppage starts now before the SB - that makes a huge impact - imagine no SB being played. Wait a few weeks later and your leverage is severly limited.

January 19th, 2011, 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:
NFL players are not very bright as evidenced by the weakest CBA of the major pro sports.

If I'm a player, the work stoppage starts now before the SB - that makes a huge impact - imagine no SB being played. Wait a few weeks later and your leverage is severly limited.

The players are happy with the current situation--it's the owners that don't want it to continue. The players rightfully don't want the public relations fiasco that would occur if they refused to play--rather, they want the owners to shoulder the blame by locking them out.

January 19th, 2011, 6:43 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Sly, what do you think the chances are of starting the season, or playing the season with replacement players?

I seriously think both sides will come to their senses before it gets to that point.

January 19th, 2011, 10:07 pm
Modmin Dude

Here are some updates, though not a whole lot of real info:
PFT wrote:
Will the union break in March, not September?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 26, 2011, 8:09 AM EST

Conventional wisdom in NFL circles is and has been that, once players miss a paycheck of two in September, they’ll collapse.

But the money doesn’t ordinarily begin to flow in September. For those players whose contracts have expired, signing bonuses and roster bonuses are paid in early March, as part of the free-agency frenzy that sees millions of dollars change hands in a short period of time. And while a majority of the league’s players are under contract for 2011, and thus won’t lose any money other than individually-negotiated workout bonuses before September, those players whose shot at getting paid large chunks of cash will be delayed by a lockout will be very, very vocal.

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie was the first. Chances are that others will follow suit once March 4 comes and goes without the doors to the free-agent market swinging open for business.

In this regard, Jason Whitlock of FOXSports.com has nailed the situation in his latest column, explaining that a mutiny against union leadership could be coming sooner rather than later.

“This is a totally unfair fight,” Whitlock said. “It’s become cliche to say this is an argument between millionaires and billionaires. No. This is an argument between spoiled rich kids and their parents. Once the parents cut off the money, the mouthy rich kids turn bitch quick.”

As to the notion that NFLPA executive director De Smith recently declared, “We are at war!”, Whitlock offered up this comparison: “Remember the Republican Guard surrendering before we ever fired a shot during Desert Storm? We’re about to see a reenactment.”

Whitlock also recommends following any and all NFL players on Twitter, because that’s where many of them will be venting their frustrations.

So as the NFL tries to keep 32 folks in line and on message, the union will be desperately trying to corral 1,700 feral cats.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... september/

PFT wrote:
Goodell, Pash will reduce their pay to $1 in event of work stoppage
Posted by Mike Florio on January 26, 2011, 11:04 AM EST

Earlier today, Jason LaCanfora of NFL Network reported that Commissioner Roger Goodell has advised the league’s teams that he’ll reduce his salary to $1 per year.

We’ve confirmed that Goodell will indeed reduce his salary to $1 annually. (Which is slightly better than zero dollars plus benefits, babe.) We’ve also learned that NFL general counsel Jeff Pash, who’s leading the league’s negotiating team, also will be reducing his pay to $1 annually. Other league executives have volunteered to reduce their compensation, but Goodell has asked them not to do so at this time.

Of course, the key factor is when a “work stoppage” commences. As of March 4, there is no “work” to be “stopped”. It’s our understanding that, in this specific context, “work stoppage” means the commencement of a lockout.

The memo from Goodell to the teams, a copy of which we’ve obtained, explains that the league’s Compensation Committee will not make a decision on any bonus for Goodell until a new labor deal is reached.

And, of course, the bonus paid to Goodell after the CBA is finalized easily could be inflated to compensate him for his lost compensation. Thus, we suspect that the union’s response to the news will be that it’s a hollow P.R. ploy aimed at creating the impression that Goodell and Pash have a stronger-than-usual incentive to get a deal done, and that any delays can be blamed on the union.

But why should we guess at what the union’s response will be? NFLPA spokesman George Atallah will appear on PFT Live at 12:00 p.m. ET today. I’ll just ask him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -stoppage/

PFT wrote:
Union won’t commit to Executive Director pay cut
Posted by Mike Florio on January 26, 2011, 2:47 PM EST

During NFLPA spokesman George Atallah’s visit to PFT Live on Wednesday, he mentioned today’s news that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and chief in-house lawyer Jeff Pash would reduce their salary to $1 per year in the event of a work stoppage.

So we asked Atallah whether NFLPA executive director De Smith would do the same.

If Smith does, Atallah said it’s not going to be something that the NFLPA will announce via press release.

Which probably means Smith won’t be doing it.

Atallah also thinks that the move by the league is further evidence that a lockout is coming. And he said that, if Goodell and Pash will be cutting off their health insurance as well, then it’s a move that can be taken seriously.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-pay-cut/

PFT wrote:
De Smith turns tables on Goodell, Pash
Posted by Mike Florio on January 26, 2011, 3:23 PM EST

Earlier today, NFLPA spokesman George Atallah said that, if executive director De Smith will be dropping his pay in response to Commissioner Roger Goodell’s post-lockout move to $1 annually, the union won’t be announcing the move via a press release.

“We’re not gonna issue any press releases about our contingency plans to make ourselves look more sympathetic,” Atallah said.

He was right. They did it instead via Twitter.

Specifically, Smith said that, if a deal is done before the Super Bowl, he’ll cut his pay to 68 cents. It’s an unrealistic commitment, given that the chances of a deal getting done before the Super Bowl fall somewhere in the gulf between slim and none. And it says nothing about the question of whether Smith will cut his pay if there’s a lockout.

But the end result is the same. Goodell and Jeff Pash ultimately will make what they would have made, even if the lockout wipes out the entire 2011 season. So Goodell and Pash will get their money, Smith will get their money, the owners will get their money, and the players will get their money.

How we get to the point where everyone gets their money remains to be seen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... dell-pash/

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 26th, 2011, 4:34 pm
RIP Killer

That is stand up and selfless... Smith can't turn that around on Goodell at all... he's mad he didn't think of it first. Nice show of good faith....

January 26th, 2011, 4:37 pm
Afghan Allstar

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6107737
The latest that I've seen.

February 10th, 2011, 6:24 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Who really gives a poop if the commish cuts his pay.........no one cares what he gets paid...Just keep the game going is all people care about. I mean who is really saying WOW! look at what he is willing to do..

Put it this way, if your favorite pizza place's workers all went on strike and the manager of the joint says I'll cut my pay until this thing get settled...BFD! I still can't get my favorite pizza. Just get it settled and let me get a pizza.

frok

February 11th, 2011, 1:14 pm
RIP Killer

It is a big deal because it shows he is serious.

February 11th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Veteran General Manager

Post 2011 CBA Thread
Most of you are hopeful that the new CBA will get done without a "work stoppage". I, on the other hand, am very pessimistic that a deal will get done. So, here is how I see this playing out.

In a perfect world, the NFL Owners and Players would look at what a good thing they have going and get a deal done.
Well, this ain't a perfect world. And Greed and the Lust for money cause sane people to do insane things.

I think the Owners are going to continue with their hard line without fear of a work stoppage even though Rodger Goodell has vowed to cut his compensation to $1 if there is a work stoppage.

The NFLPA will continue to push for a 50/50 split of ALL Revenue. DeMorris Smith has stated that anything less is like the NFL asking him to write a check for $7.5 Billion over the term of a new CBA.

So, here is what I see happening.

Come March 4, The Owners lock out the Players. The NFLPA will in turn de-certify. Which will lead to congress getting involved at some point. But, while this thing drags through the courts, we will get a healthy dose of Replacement player football.

That's right folks. Step right up and buy you season tickets for replacement football. This is how 2 things are going to happen.
1. Rodger Goodell will get to keep his salary because there will be no stoppage in play.
2. The Owners will get to keep all the guaranteed TV revenue because there will be no stoppage in play.
Those TV contracts do not specify that the product has to be NFL caliber. There just needs to be games played that can be broadcast.

The Owners are going to break the NFLPA. All current players will be locked out until 1 by 1 they come back and sign a statement that they agree to the new work rules, ( 18 game schedule, rookie wage scale, ect.).

February 14th, 2011, 12:33 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Greed and Lust.
I actually think that a "replacement" season would be fun. I'd love the NFLPA to de-certify, and then allow a giant free for all. It'd be awesome, might ruin the sport, but heck it would be fun.

February 14th, 2011, 12:37 pm
RIP Killer

There will be no replacement football this time around as it is the owners, not the players, who want to renegotiate and they can't do replacement games like back in the 80's per the agreement if it is the owners who want a new agrement to my understanding.

February 14th, 2011, 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

Pablo wrote:
There will be no replacement football this time around as it is the owners, not the players, who want to renegotiate and they can't do replacement games like back in the 80's per the agreement if it is the owners who want a new agrement to my understanding.

If the NFLPA de-certifies, the Owners can play whoever they want under whatever rules they want.

February 14th, 2011, 1:14 pm
RIP Killer

Gotcha. My understanding is that the players currently get around 60% so I think they could agree on 50%, however that comes after the owners first take $1B off the top which they will look to push to $2B under this new agreement.

That said, the big issue I see is the books. How can you split up a pie when you can't even see how big the pie is to start with?

February 14th, 2011, 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Whether possible or not, how cool would it to have a complete redo of the league's teams...

February 14th, 2011, 1:49 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
Whether possible or not, how cool would it to have a complete redo of the league's teams...

Actually, I wouldn't find it cool at all...

February 14th, 2011, 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next