View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 2011 CBA Thread 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: 2011 CBA Thread
Mankins is sort of a primadonna in this whole thing, and for a Guard too? I mean come on man!

July 20th, 2011, 1:07 pm
RIP Killer

grgrundge wrote:
Is it possible for one idiot to ruin NFL football for millions of people?

Actually yes, but I don't see it happening. The way that Mankins could do it is by refusing to drop or settle the anti-trust lawsuit, which the owners are demanding be taken care of prior to their acceptance of the deal.

Since the lawyer who is representing the players on this (Kessler) is a complete greedhound A-hole D-bag scuz, there's a small possibility it could happen. However, I think cooler heads will prevail and Mankins/Kessler will get shouted down by the remaining players. Eventually it will get done.

July 20th, 2011, 1:41 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Report: CBA more “tenuous” than widely believed
Posted by Mike Florio on July 20, 2011, 2:59 PM EDT

As the powers-that-be with the NFLPA* meet in Washington to digest the proposed labor deal and as the owners prepare to do so tomorrow, Don Banks of SI.com has sprayed some cold water, Javon Walker style, on the optimism that the agreement will be approved.

Banks reports that the status of the deal is more “tenuous” than widely believed. He also reports that it’s too early to know whether the players will vote on the proposed agreement on Wednesday.

Many think that the folks who have something to say at the meeting in D.C. will say what they have to say, and that the players then will vote to approve the deal. If the guy they hired to negotiate the deal, NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith, recommends the proposed package, then there’s no reason to reject his advice.

But not every NFL player is logical and rational, especially once they’ve been worked up by months of rhetoric from Smith and others who are leading the charge. Some players want a fight, and Smith’s challenge will be to persuade them that a fight was indeed waged, and that by preserving a 48-cents-per-dollar cut of an ever-growing revenue pie, the players have won.

Smith also needs to be able to remind the players how much they’ll lose once preseason games, and the revenue they generate, begin to evaporate.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -believed/

July 20th, 2011, 3:44 pm

Isn't there going to be positive PR for the group who votes to ratify the CBA first? It appears the owners are going to be the ones to put out the olive branch first and to the general public who are only following this in a casual sense will think they're the good ones. If they players drag their feet they will lose credibility with a large chunk of their fan base. The players need to get their $#it together and sign this puppy and get on with it. The moment something is delayed/missed from the regular schedule, fans are going to turn real quick if they are still dragging their feet.

July 21st, 2011, 2:44 pm
RIP Killer

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl- ... ve-new-cba

Owners APPROVE!!!

Now it is the players turn.

July 21st, 2011, 7:34 pm
RIP Killer

Looks like we could still see a full season and 4 preseason games. I wouldn't mind dropping the first week of preseasons games if needed to allow more time for FA.

July 21st, 2011, 7:35 pm
Team MVP

Now the players need to quit dragging their feet and get this thing over with!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 21st, 2011, 7:59 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Not so fast... here's the 2 key sticking points of the proposal they ratified.

Quote:
“[The settlement] gives the players only three days–Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of next week–to try to bargain any changes to the old CBA. Any such changes would have to be agreed to by the owners in order to be incorporated into the Agreement, which would then become final on Saturday, July 30. If the NFL does not agree to the players’ proposed changes, the old CBA terms on benefits, discipline, safety, etc. will remain unchanged for another ten years,” the email reads.

So even if players disagreed to parts, they could bargain, but the owners wouldn't have to agree and then they'd be stuck for 10 years.

Quote:
“In addition to depriving the players of the time needed to consider forming a union and making needed changes to the old Agreement, this proposed procedure would in my view also violate federal labor laws. Those laws prohibit employers from coercing their employees into forming a union, and could result in any Agreement reached through the procedure being declared null and void,” the email finishes.

The league is forcing them to reform the union, which is illegal. Now if they agree, its all fine, but this could blow this all up.

And Batterman threw out a nasty dig about them still being a Union during the press conference. Not wise when the players haven't even voted yet.

July 21st, 2011, 8:11 pm
RIP Killer

Supposedly the reps are meeting now via a teleconference.

July 21st, 2011, 8:11 pm

Edit, replace Batterman with Pash. Batterman was there though.

July 21st, 2011, 8:22 pm

Few more issues.

Players viewed this as a powerplay because they slipped in multiple items that players never saw before.

The owners also redid the revenue sharing among themselves without players, and there's potentially items that should have been included in the entire pie if % of Stadium construction is coming out of player side.

I think the biggest issues is that they're going to have to put in guarantees and remove or move bad timeline of them being able to negotiate once they recertify the union. That 3 day window where owners can just stonewall and it goes into effect, is something no one can agree too.

July 21st, 2011, 10:10 pm

Clearly a power play, but the players could have agreed to their deal before the owners and it would have produced the same effect. The players, rightly or wrongly, are going to start to lose support of the fans now that their is an initial agreement by the owners. The NFL, ESPN, and sports talk/media is going to be all over this because everyone wants football back. If the players for some reason decide to drag their feet, fall on their own swords, be martyrs about this, they are going to be pariahs in the eyes of the fans if games are missed.

July 22nd, 2011, 9:23 am
Modmin Dude

njroar wrote:
Few more issues.

Players viewed this as a powerplay because they slipped in multiple items that players never saw before.

The owners also redid the revenue sharing among themselves without players, and there's potentially items that should have been included in the entire pie if % of Stadium construction is coming out of player side.

I think the biggest issues is that they're going to have to put in guarantees and remove or move bad timeline of them being able to negotiate once they recertify the union. That 3 day window where owners can just stonewall and it goes into effect, is something no one can agree too.

From what I am hearing this morning (Schefter) this is incorrect. It sounds like the rank & file players jumped the gun and let their emotion get the better of them (saw a few on Twitter last night). The bottom line is Goodell & Smith discussed everything thoughly BEFORE the owners voted. De knew what was going to happen, but perhaps the players didn't. Sounds to me like a disconnect on the players side.

I'll dig up more in a bit...

July 22nd, 2011, 9:29 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Making sense of the last 12 hours
Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2011, 8:53 AM EDT

Of all the crazy nights I’ve experienced in nearly 10 years of doing this, last night was the craziest.

With the representatives of a supposedly toothless trade association gathered since Wednesday in Washington, fully aware that the owners would vote on a labor deal Thursday, it initially appeared that the players simply wanted to make the owners go first, for fear that if the players approved the proposed deal then the owners would try to pull a fast one.

And so the owners went first, and the players quickly claimed that the owners tried to pull a fast one.

The problem seems to be that, because the owners previously have pulled multiple fast ones, the players are understandably leery as the process of striking a decade-long labor deal reaches conclusion. And with NFLPA* leadership focused on digesting the final proposal and making a good decision about how to proceed, it appears that NFLPA* leadership didn’t have the time or the inclination to herd the many cats who took to Twitter and ESPN and NFL Network to send conflicting messages about what comes next.

Part of the problem is that there are conflicting interests among the rank and file. Plenty of guys (especially those without contracts) want to get this done. And plenty of guys who possibly would face losing their starting jobs and/or roster spots if rookies and/or free agents have enough time during training camp to leapfrog the incumbent lineup would like to slow it down for a couple of weeks.

Through it all, and as Morten Andersen Chris Mortensen reported to end the evening, NFLPA* leadership remains optimistic that this will get done. It meshes with the surprisingly positive text message I received last night from a high-ranking NFLPA* source as all hell was breaking loose. The NFLPA* was disappointed that the NFL presented its approval of the deal in a celebratory manner (I think Jags owner Wayne Weaver had tears in his eyes when talking about it on NFL Network), since that put pressure on the players to get something done. But the NFLPA* remained optimistic that it will all work out.

With the Hall of Fame game now canceled and the first preseason games three weeks away, there’s a little more time to work this all out.

The best way to do that will be for the NFL to stop applying public pressure to the players. Even if what the NFL is saying is 100 percent accurate, the players don’t want to hear any of that from the NFL right now. The players want to make their own decision without being told what they should do by league. It’s a basic human-relations reality that the men who run the NFL would be wise to acknowledge and respect.

Besides, let’s not underestimate the possibility that, after being forced to sweat by the owners for more than three years, the players relish the opportunity to make the owners sweat a little, even if it’s only for a day.

Once the parties worked out a revenue split for an ever-growing multi-billion-dollar pie, the hardest and most difficult and contentious issue between them had been resolved. The parties should be able to work out whatever issues remain at the twelfth hour.

That’s not a prediction that they will. But they should be able to.

Especially if NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith is recommending the deal. Apart from what the Executive Committee and the board of player representatives may think, this thing gets done if 50 percent of the players plus one vote for it. If/when the deal gets sent to them with a recommendation from De Smith that they accept it, 50 percent plus one of them definitely will.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -12-hours/

July 22nd, 2011, 9:45 am
RIP Killer

Power play? They put put up the first real hope. Players aren't going to be hurt by not signing the deal as is.

July 22nd, 2011, 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next