View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 3:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 LA Stadium Planner Has 5 Interested Teams 
RIP Killer

Post LA Stadium Planner Has 5 Interested Teams
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/n ... id=6648603

Could the Rams or Raiders be back?

June 11th, 2011, 1:32 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: LA Stadium Planner Has 5 Interested Teams
not the raiders...Just dont see that happening..Jax makes a ton of sense though.

June 11th, 2011, 1:47 pm
Afghan Allstar

Could also see the Chargers. The city of San Diego has made next to no progress in getting a stadium deal done thus far.

June 12th, 2011, 10:29 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Bye bye Vikings

June 12th, 2011, 11:28 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Apparently SD has pulled 36% of the team that was for sale from the market. AEG was rumored to be interested. They probably would have tried to gain a majority stake in the team and moved them to LA.

I wouldn't really care if the Chargers, Jaguars, Rams moved to LA, but I wouldn't want to see the Vikes or Raiders go.

For the sake of having NOTHING else to talk about, HYPOTHETICALLY if Minnesota were the team to move, how would the divisions be re-aligned?

My take:

NFC

East: Washington, Philly, NYG, Carolina*
North: Detroit, Chicago, Green Bay, Indianapolis*
South: New Orleans, Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas*
West: S.F. Seattle, Arizona, Los Angeles Vikings?*

AFC

East: N.E. NYJ, Buffalo, Miami
North: Cincy, Cleveland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh
South: Houston, Tennessee, Jax, StL*
West: Oakland, Denver, KC, SD

I wanted to get Dallas out of the NFC East, which makes NO SENSE to me. Even though there is a history there, they'll need to make some changes anyway. Moving Dallas to the NFC South would allow Carolina making a more geographically sensible division alignment then Dallas provides. Indy would move into the NFC North if the Vikings were to leave for LA and the Vikes would be in the NFC West. Lastly, you'd have to do something with St. Louis and they can move to the AFC South.

I wanted to keep the rivalries of the AFC West and North in tact.

In the AFC East Miami is the oddball that I want to move, but there isn't much else the would make sense in terms of geography. St. Louis is the only team that would be a new addition, taking the place of Indy in that division. I didn't want to mess with the AFC West or NFC North

June 14th, 2011, 1:17 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

why are Indy and StL swapping confrences?
And as much as it doesn't make sense geographally, there is no way you can break up the rivalries in the east. Dallas/Giants and Dallas/Eagleas are some of the best and longest rivalries in the game.

IF..you take Minny from the North I would guess we get Seattle in trade..at least they're still northern like...

June 14th, 2011, 8:18 pm
Hall of Fame Player

If Minny goes to LA,

Minny would take the Rams spot in the NFC West and the Rams would come to the NFC North. The Rams are the most natural fit for the NFC North. Cleveland is also a possibility to replace Minny in the North in a larger restructuring.

June 14th, 2011, 9:36 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
why are Indy and StL swapping confrences?
And as much as it doesn't make sense geographally, there is no way you can break up the rivalries in the east. Dallas/Giants and Dallas/Eagleas are some of the best and longest rivalries in the game.

IF..you take Minny from the North I would guess we get Seattle in trade..at least they're still northern like...

I think if the owners are the ones getting the say on the alignment of the conferences, they will try to keep teams in each conference as close together geographically as possible so as to reduce their travel costs for conference games. Hence, I don't think Seattle would be a team shifting into the NFC North. If the Vikes go to LA, that doesn't mean they automatically become an AFC team. I think they remain an NFC team, and likely the Rams get bumped out of the NFC West. I agree that Dallas isn't likely to get re-aligned from the NFC East....too much history and Jerry Jones wants Philly, Washington and Giants to come to him three times a year in his new stadium. I could see the Rams being moved into the NFC North, even though it wouldn't make a bunch of sense from a geographic standpoint.

June 14th, 2011, 9:41 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

You all make valid points and the plan that I laid out was just for fun. I agree that the NFC East is probably the NFL's favorite division and they do have rivalries, but to be quite honest, there were rivalries that were broken up when they re-aligned in 2002. I don't think it's the sort of thing that we necessarily need to hold onto with a death grip. If the Lions only play Chicago or Green Bay once a year, it wouldn't break my heart and make me watch less Lions football. I watch football because I love football. Sunday Night, Monday Night, Thursday Night (even though I don't want to pay for NFL Network) I watch because it's football, not because of who is playing. Sure, New England and Indy is good now, but what happens when Tom Brady and Peyton Manning retire? I doubt that either team will be real strong to the point where it's a must see game. Rivalries come and go, and who's to say that Dallas and New Orleans won't be 10x better than Dallas and Washington (who've sucked for years under Dan Snyder)?

More than anything, it was geography that precipitated the movement from divisions or conferences. St. Louis came from LA in 95, so even though they have an identity in St. Louis, they have zero divisional history and could be moved either into the north or the south without much of a problem. Is St. Louis more of a northern city or a southern city? What about Indianapolis?

I still wish Miami could move from from the AFC East, but whatever, it's not perfect, and this was just for laughs.

June 15th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]