View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2014, 6:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Excellent Article: How to build your team through the draft 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Excellent Article: How to build your team through the draft
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... 9165&num=2

May 5th, 2005, 11:13 pm
RIP Killer

That is a good quick read. Based on the results, with the majority of quality players being taken on day one, you would think more teams would try to package late round picks to move up into the first three rounds yet the exact opposite seems to be happening. Most teams seem more eager to trade down and stockpile picks. Perhaps we will see a reversal in this trend, especially as teams continue to improve at evaluating draft talent.

I also wonder if we will start to see even more of a shift in where each positions are taken in the draft. It appears positions like QB, WR, DE and CB need to be filled on day one, while S, LB and DT can be found on day 2. I see this as something that should be taken in account when building a draft board.

May 6th, 2005, 11:25 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

That is a good quick read. Based on the results, with the majority of quality players being taken on day one, you would think more teams would try to package late round picks to move up into the first three rounds yet the exact opposite seems to be happening. Most teams seem more eager to trade down and stockpile picks. Perhaps we will see a reversal in this trend, especially as teams continue to improve at evaluating draft talent.

I agree to an extent. If you're a team like the Titans, who have lost numerous playmakers and quality depth, I would say stockpile picks.

If you're a team like the Lions you have quality back ups that are starting, you draft for playmakers in Rd 1 and 2. However, I'm greedy and want numerous picks in EVERY round!

Pablo wrote:
I also wonder if we will start to see even more of a shift in where each positions are taken in the draft. It appears positions like QB, WR, DE and CB need to be filled on day one, while S, LB and DT can be found on day 2. I see this as something that should be taken in account when building a draft board.

If positions have anything to do with the wonderlic, it would seem as though your lower thought level positions would be taken on day 2 (DT, DE, RB, FB, and possibly CB). QB, WR, OL, LB, and S all require a lot of thought, reads, blocking pickups, etc and would be taken on day 1. I think that instincts are different than being able to know who's doing what (QB, OL, S, LB). I'm kind of rambling and don't make sense anymore, but I'm too tired to edit. I fear I may have just stirred up a debate!

May 6th, 2005, 11:41 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

"Perhaps we will see a reversal in this trend, especially as teams continue to improve at evaluating draft talent. "

I think there may be two trends. Trading up in rounds 1 and 2, and hoarding picks for developmental players who are each a crapshoot. Millen has always traded up and never down from what I recall. He prefers to trade up in the late first and early second round. According to Clayton's research that seems smart.

May 6th, 2005, 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]