View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 8:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Character is Everything: Merriman 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Character is Everything: Merriman
Some people wanted to draft this guy?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2054147

May 6th, 2005, 6:59 am
RIP Killer

Sounds like Merriman is a real tool. Glad the Lions didn't take him. Why is it that the Poston brothers seem to represent the larger part of the a$$holes in the NFL? Could it be because they pump their clients full of BS?

May 6th, 2005, 8:45 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Sounds like Merriman is a real tool. Glad the Lions didn't take him. Why is it that the Poston brothers seem to represent the larger part of the a$$holes in the NFL? Could it be because they pump their clients full of BS?

Assholes seem to stick together

May 6th, 2005, 9:14 am
Pop Warner Vet

Assholes seem to stick together

I know mine do when I have to fuQing run up the stairs :?

Do we still have the listing of the Wonderlic test these kids take? I wonder what he got. My guess is he was maybe in the high single digits :roll:

May 6th, 2005, 9:56 am
RIP Killer

Do we still have the listing of the Wonderlic test these kids take? I wonder what he got. My guess is he was maybe in the high single digits :roll:

He scored a 19. But these guys are so coached up on the Wonderlic I don't put a ton of stock into these tests anymore. A guy like Merriman can score a 6 before being coached and then in the 20's after.

May 6th, 2005, 10:40 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I read a story where the top five taken this year had an average Wonderlic score of 22. The last five guys taken in this years draft had an average of 28. What does that tell you about how teams use the Wonderlic in their basis of talent evaluation?

May 6th, 2005, 11:42 am

This guy is a fool. I got this from San Diego Tribune. I thought his biggest problem coming in to the draft was his fundemeantles. He is only going to hurt himself...Damn pre madonna

Quote:
Outside linebacker Shawne Merriman, the Chargers' first pick in last month's NFL draft, has notified the team he will not be at minicamp this weekend or at any of the team's offseason workouts between now and July 1.

Merriman and his agent, Kevin Poston, are not satisfied with the protection afforded Merriman in the event he is injured before signing a contract.

"If I got hurt I still want to be paid like the No. 12 pick," Merriman said by phone yesterday. "The language had to be pumped up, and that was it . . . It's for my protection. As reckless as I play, I definitely have got to watch that."

The Chargers offered Merriman the same agreement they said they have given all their draft choices over the years. The agreement outlines terms for a player's participation in this weekend's workouts, the June 10-12 minicamp and other offseason coaching sessions. Rookie contracts, particularly those of first-round picks, are generally not negotiated until July.

The one-paragraph pact, obtained by the Union-Tribune, reads in part: "In the event of injury during this period of time, Player will be determined to have been injured while under Contract, at terms comparable to others selected near your position in the 2005 Draft."

Numerous agents contacted yesterday said that any player injured before signing his initial contract should receive a contract that corresponds with where he was drafted, 12th overall in Merriman's case. One agent said that, in a worst-case scenario, the player would receive a deal that averages the contracts of the two players selected before him and the two players selected after him. If the sides disagreed on those numbers, the case would go to an arbitrator.

A similar agreement provided by another NFL team and obtained by the Union-Tribune, read in part: "The (team) agrees that if Player sustains a Significant Injury during the Unsigned Period, which injury occurs during and results from his participation in the supervised workouts, both parties agree to negotiate in good faith an NFL Player Contract on the same basis as if no such injury had occurred."

Poston believes the language of the agreement the Chargers offered Merriman allows for too many loopholes.

"We want him to be treated (in negotiations) as if he's not injured," Poston said. "Why would we go into camp when if he got injured they're going to treat him as if he's injured?"

General Manager A.J. Smith said the Chargers were not willing to deviate from their standard contract.

Advertisement

"We're pretty consistent in our language," he said. "It's been that way for a long, long time and we haven't had any problems . . . It's been accepted by an awful lot of people over a long, long period of time. To make an exception, to put language in that was to the liking of Kevin, we weren't comfortable with that."

The Chargers pointed out yesterday that they have negotiated in good faith with the only two draft picks they have had that were injured before they were under contract. Both of those players (Adrian Dingle and Terry Charles, who blew out knees in minicamp) were fifth-round picks. Both received contracts and signing bonuses in line with what the players above and below them got.

"I don't remember any player being burned under such an agreement," said one prominent agent, who has done a number of contracts for first-round picks.

"It's different if you're a (lower)-round pick," Poston said, referring to the millions of dollars involved with first-round negotiations.

Poston, hired by Merriman this week after the player dismissed Gary Wichard the day after the draft, said Merriman's absence was not a negotiating tactic.

"All we're talking about is one sentence," Poston said. "If he's injured in the minicamp, then we've got to negotiate in good faith."

As for his client being in training camp when rookies are due to report July 26, Poston said: "It takes two to tango."

The Chargers have long had a difficult time coming to terms with their first-round picks. Of their eight such selections since 1990, just two have reported to training camp in July on time.

None of those six players missed an offseason minicamp.

In 2002, cornerback Quentin Jammer, the No. 5 overall pick, missed all of training camp and was unable to be a real contributor his rookie season. Last year, quarterback Philip Rivers, the No. 4 pick, did not sign until the third week of August, and his prolonged absence allowed Drew Brees to solidify his hold on the starting job.

While Merriman's role as a ball hawk and pass rusher would not seem to require the same learning curve as a cornerback or quarterback, coach Marty Schottenheimer said there was "no question" Merriman's absence will hurt him.

"There's clear evidence that players that are not afforded the opportunity of working in the offseason program . . . (have) a difficult time getting an opportunity to play," Schottenheimer said. "The offseason is where all the detailed coaching is done. Once you get into camp you don't have time to spoon-feed people."

Schottenheimer seemed unconcerned.

"The bottom line is a year ago we went 12-4 and he was at the University of Maryland," the coach said.

Merriman acknowledged he will fall behind in his absence, but he thinks the Chargers and their fans should understand his position.

"It's a setback for the team, but it's a setback for me too," he said. "I wanted to get out there like they wanted me out there. I need to work. I need to get better. Being a rookie, I need to get into the system. At the same time, I need to protect myself. I'm not trying to hold out for extra money. I'm just doing it for my protection.

"The fans need to realize I love the game. I know people want to see me on the field. They have to realize it's about security ? just like everyone wants job security."

Asked if he did indeed plan to sit out next month's minicamp as well, Merriman said: "If I was to get a call at 2 o'clock in the morning that everything was worked out, I would get up from my sleep, have my bags packed and be sitting on a plane out there."

May 6th, 2005, 11:47 am

You can be smart and be a fool. IQ, whatever that is, has little bearing on character. I think it would come in more on how you might master the mental parts of the game.

May 6th, 2005, 12:14 pm

The Postons are F*ups. Not only will their retention sink your draft status, they are crappy lawyers. They did not review Arrington's 7 million dollar bonus. They left KII hanging by not putting the clause in multiple years. Even if he returns healthy next year, he will have signed a below average deal. If Rogers goes down for 70% of the plays this year he will lose almost 20 Million too from what I understand.

San Diego already regrets not drafting Pollack!

May 6th, 2005, 12:23 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Poston Bros. are notorious for highway robbery. This type of nonsense don't surprise me with them. These guys would be at the top of my "Would Not Work With" list when I grow up and become a GM.

May 6th, 2005, 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The thing is is that teams don't have a choice. If they need someone bad enough, they have to pay to make sure they get him. But those agents make me mad. They are the reason tickets are too expensive, driving up salaries and making people like TO think that they are worth way more than they really are.

May 6th, 2005, 2:58 pm
Profile WWW

The thing is is that teams don't have a choice. If they need someone bad enough, they have to pay to make sure they get him. But those agents make me mad. They are the reason tickets are too expensive, driving up salaries and making people like TO think that they are worth way more than they really are.

Your so right. They try to make there players bigger than the game.

May 6th, 2005, 3:21 pm

No wonder Dallas didnt take, and they even said if he was available he would be taken by Dallas, or it could be that hes mad, and only wants to play for Dallas...

Michael Huff for DROY

May 6th, 2005, 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

If Eli Manning can score high on the Wonderlic, then the test can't be that hard... :unibrow:

May 6th, 2005, 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

This test is as hard as tying your shoe's.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/existence/wonderlic.html

(anyone seen my loafers)?

Brian Griese: 39

Brett Favre: 22

Dan Marino: 16

May 6th, 2005, 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next