View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 11:49 pm



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Character is Everything: Merriman 
Author Message
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10290
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
Wow, what a joke...but seriously, I already know my intelligence is superior! lol

Back to Merriman:
Chargers | Issue Statement on Merriman
Thu, 5 May 2005 20:50:55 -0700

Updating previous reports, according to Chargers.com, San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith has issued a statement regarding rookie LB Shawne Merriman and his agent Kevin Poston's decision not to participate team's offseason program unless the team changed its standard injury protection language. "This injury protection language is intended to deal with situations when a player is injured before he is under contract," Smith wrote. "The Chargers' language is standard, and the Chargers have reached fair contract agreements with the only two players over the years that were injured before they were under contract. We are disappointed that Shawne Merriman will miss the team's offseason program. We will open contract negotiations with Shawne's agent in early July. We look forward to Shawne being a Charger and joining the team in training camp."

That will F him in the A if he misses the ENTIRE offseason!


May 6th, 2005, 9:45 pm
Profile
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: April 4th, 2005, 7:47 pm
Posts: 214
Post 
I was one of the people who were extremely impressed with Merriman and wanted to the Lions to draft him. Boy, was I wrong about that guy I am really dissapointed about Merriman Just like the Winslow Jr supporters last year were wrong about their guy. qtank.gif


May 7th, 2005, 1:12 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
Buntster wrote:
I was one of the people who were extremely impressed with Merriman and wanted to the Lions to draft him. Boy, was I wrong about that guy I am really dissapointed about Merriman Just like the Winslow Jr supporters last year were wrong about their guy.




I am surprised about Merriman - I'm not surprised about his agents.

Also, am I the only one that saw this coming with Winslow? In my opinion he made it obvious he was going to be nothing but problems.


May 7th, 2005, 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: April 4th, 2005, 7:47 pm
Posts: 214
Post 
You aren't the only one who saw that with Winslow Junior, I always had a bad feeling about that guy. I was really adamant last year, I didn't want the Lions to have anything to do with that guy and I am extremely glad that they drafted Roy and Kevin instead.

qtank.gif


May 9th, 2005, 6:38 pm
Profile
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2005, 12:35 am
Posts: 881
Location: Boston, MA
Post 
You know, I think that Merriman and his agents are being jerks about this but I also think it's being blown out of proportion. If he and his agents reach a deal and he makes it to training camp, I don't think that his entire career will go down the tubes just because he missed his mini-camp. It seems like people are treating Merriman as if he must be a "bad pick" just because of this episode. If he comes back and has 12.5 sacks his rookie year, nobody will care that he held missed a mini-camp.

_________________
Alphonso Smith for Dan Gronkowski? Epic fail, McDaniels.


May 9th, 2005, 9:38 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:
You know, I think that Merriman and his agents are being jerks about this but I also think it's being blown out of proportion. If he and his agents reach a deal and he makes it to training camp, I don't think that his entire career will go down the tubes just because he missed his mini-camp. It seems like people are treating Merriman as if he must be a "bad pick" just because of this episode. If he comes back and has 12.5 sacks his rookie year, nobody will care that he held missed a mini-camp.



I agree with you that if a deal got done quickly this would blow over and not be a big deal. And missing a few days of camp, while not preferred, won't ruin his career.

However, to me the issue is one of ethics. This is not a good way for him to start off a business relationship with the franchise. It is a standard power play practice of his agents to do something like this; and to negotiate in the public forum; and to keep their clients out of training camp and sign as the season begins.

In this case the language is fairly standard and it damages the spirit of negotiations to pull this nonsense. Merriman obviously has no control over his agents at this point and is going along with whatever crap they tell him.

It is also possible (maybe) that Merriman is hurt in some way and doesn't want the club to know it. (That's what Aaron Gibson did to us if you recall). I wouldn't put it past the Poston's (the agents) at all to use this charade as an excuse to keep him off the field until the signing bonus comes in.


May 9th, 2005, 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Joined: March 22nd, 2005, 8:42 pm
Posts: 3811
Post 
This draft is looking like it may have a big bust factor. Pacman the latest?

From profootballtalk.com:





"We've heard from several different sources that Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones is facing allegations of battery resulting from a post-draft strip-club spree in his home state of Georgia.



The allegations include a claim that Jones hit a woman over the head with a bottle. There's also a contention that he left another club that same night without paying his full tab.



Jones, the first defensive player taken in the draft, apparently wasn't harmed by past allegations of hitting a guy upside the head with a pool stick at a Morgantown, West Virginia bar. We've heard in the wake of the draft, however, that if Tennessee hadn't taken him with the six pick, he might have fallen past Arizona and Washington and out of the top ten, due in part to character questions.



Word is that civil litigation against Jones for the most recent incident is brewing, and that there could be criminal charges filed.



Stay tuned."

_________________
Far and away from the sound and the fury. . .


May 9th, 2005, 10:17 pm
Profile
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2005, 12:35 am
Posts: 881
Location: Boston, MA
Post 
LionFan57 wrote:
I agree with you that if a deal got done quickly this would blow over and not be a big deal. And missing a few days of camp, while not preferred, won't ruin his career.

However, to me the issue is one of ethics. This is not a good way for him to start off a business relationship with the franchise. It is a standard power play practice of his agents to do something like this; and to negotiate in the public forum; and to keep their clients out of training camp and sign as the season begins.

In this case the language is fairly standard and it damages the spirit of negotiations to pull this nonsense. Merriman obviously has no control over his agents at this point and is going along with whatever crap they tell him.

It is also possible (maybe) that Merriman is hurt in some way and doesn't want the club to know it. (That's what Aaron Gibson did to us if you recall). I wouldn't put it past the Poston's (the agents) at all to use this charade as an excuse to keep him off the field until the signing bonus comes in.


I agree with you in so far as it's a bad business decision. The chances of an injury during mini-camp are slight, and the chances of the Chargers stiffing him because of the injury are even slighter. Most of the time I'll disagree with football fans who claim that there's some sort of "moral obligation" to not hold out for a contract, but in this case it just seems as if Merriman is being antagonistic for the sake of being antagonistic.

_________________
Alphonso Smith for Dan Gronkowski? Epic fail, McDaniels.


May 9th, 2005, 10:26 pm
Profile
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2005, 12:35 am
Posts: 881
Location: Boston, MA
Post 
Yorick wrote:
This draft is looking like it may have a big bust factor. Pacman the latest?

Stay tuned."


Man, what a stupid thing to do.

Not that he actually thought about it, but if he's going to violate the law, then he's smart to wait until after the draft so his stock doesn't drop! :D (See CB Justin Miller).

_________________
Alphonso Smith for Dan Gronkowski? Epic fail, McDaniels.


May 9th, 2005, 10:31 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9864
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
I didn't like Pacman just because of this type of crap. He thinks he's the second coming of Neon Deion and the rules don't apply to him. I like Jeff Fisher and many of the players on the Titans, but that was the wrong pick for them. Tennessee should have gone with Rolle. I don't think Jones is going to be as good a player as many think he will be.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 10th, 2005, 7:28 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
I didn't like Pacman just because of this type of crap. He thinks he's the second coming of Neon Deion and the rules don't apply to him. I like Jeff Fisher and many of the players on the Titans, but that was the wrong pick for them. Tennessee should have gone with Rolle. I don't think Jones is going to be as good a player as many think he will be.



I couldn't agree more!


May 10th, 2005, 8:12 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Joined: March 22nd, 2005, 8:42 pm
Posts: 3811
Post 
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8480775

Sean Taylor is disgruntled with his contract after one year!

_________________
Far and away from the sound and the fury. . .


May 18th, 2005, 12:36 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: January 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Posts: 2274
Location: South Quad- Ann Arbor
Post 
TO is infecting everybody :shock:

Walker, Taylor, who is next,

KWII :shock: :lol:

_________________
"If he isn't the best football player, the best runner, that the Lord has ever made, then the Lord has yet to make one." Wayne Fontes on Barry.
Image


May 18th, 2005, 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Chargers Vs. Merriman
Quote:
San Diego Chargers:

The team rebuffed a proposal from the agents for first-round pick Shawne Merriman in which the former Maryland defensive end would have attended the club's offseason program but not participated in any on-field activities.

"There is no such thing as a half-Charger here," general manager A.J. Smith told the San Diego Union-Tribune. "Either you're a Charger or you're not."

The earlier of the Chargers' two choices in the first round, and the 12th prospect taken overall, Merriman skipped a recent minicamp because he and his agents had issues with the language in the injury protection agreement that San Diego uses for draft choices. Such agreements essentially stipulate that a franchise will negotiate in good faith with a player even if he is injured before signing his contract.

Merriman and his agents, Kevin Poston and Carl Poston, have said the player will sit out all offseason workouts until the matter is resolved. They have contended the language in the agreement does not adequately cover Merriman in the event of an injury. Chargers officials countered that the agreement was accepted by other draft choices and that they have used the same language for years.

"We thought we made a good-faith gesture," Kevin Poston said. "I want [Merriman] to be there, and he wants to be there. We want him to meet with coaches, talk with coaches, walk through things, but just not do any physical activities."

from ESPN.com



The Shawn Merriman saga continues and, IMO, the Poston Bros. are the culprips.


May 20th, 2005, 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.