View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 5:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 How to identify NFL's best quarterbacks 
Varsity Captain

Post Re: How to identify NFL's best quarterbacks
m2karateman wrote:
How come you are completely ignoring the fact that Ryan's O-line is trash? And the fact is he led his team to a very respectable 10-6 record and got them into the playoffs. Why is that so terrible?

I'm not going to make excuses for him. I'm going by what I see him do during games. Perhaps I'm holding him to higher standards because of the weapons he has and the fact that he's in a dome. IMO, he's not putting up the numbers he should be putting up. If it's the O-line, fine, but if that's the case then you agree with me that he's under-performing, right? Just a different reason.

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Also, you asked where the offense was. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but their offense was pretty good. Here's their rankings in various offensive categories this year (SF's rankings in parentheses):

Total pts/g: 7 (11)
Total yds/g: 10 (26)
Rush yds/g: 17 (8)
Rush yds/att: 17 (8)
Pass yds/g: 8 (29)
Pass yds/att: 13 (16)

So in every offensive statistic except rushing, Atlanta is better. Since this is a discussion of QBs, how exactly is Smith better than Ryan right now? Ryan has performed better in every category.

Yet another person comparing Ryan to Alex Smith statistically. Has nothing to do with anything that was mentioned. I never said Alex Smith was better (can't believe I'm repeating myself yet again, lol), I said I TRUST Alex Smith more. And in the playoffs, after the Saints game where Alex Smith led SF on two game-winning drives in the 4th, Alex Smith was better than Matt Ryan (when I said "RIGHT NOW" earlier). Overall, Ryan > Smith in terms of skill. I never said otherwise. I wish you guys would actually read what I typed. :<

Anyway, I'll just ignore the SF numbers you put up and talk about the pass stats for Ryan: 8th and 13th. That's not bad, top half in the league. But my point still stands: with such great weapons to throw to, he should be doing better. Roddy White, Julio Jones, Tony Ganzalez, Michael Turner. Name another 2WR-1TE-1RB combo that is better. He's still under-performing. Is it the O-line like m2k suggested? Perhaps. I don't care about the excuses though, he's under-performing.

March 2nd, 2012, 11:20 pm
Heisman Winner

49ers wrote:
I was just stating that RIGHT NOW, Smith > Ryan. I think Ryan is vastly over-rated. He's like Flacco with more weapons to throw to, and he still can't get the job done. He's HORRID!

Dude^

March 2nd, 2012, 11:53 pm
Varsity Captain

aManNamedSuh wrote:
49ers wrote:
I was just stating that RIGHT NOW, Smith > Ryan. I think Ryan is vastly over-rated. He's like Flacco with more weapons to throw to, and he still can't get the job done. He's HORRID!

Dude^

DUDE: RIGHT NOW = The day I posted it.

Did you read ANYTHING i wrote? That was posted right after Smith led the 49ers on 2 fourth-quarter drives to win a playoff game. Right then, Smith > Ryan.

SERIOUSLY! This thread is full of people that only skim paragraphs.

March 3rd, 2012, 2:05 am
RIP Killer

49ers wrote:
Yet another person comparing Ryan to Alex Smith statistically. Has nothing to do with anything that was mentioned. I never said Alex Smith was better (can't believe I'm repeating myself yet again, lol), I said I TRUST Alex Smith more.

Read what is bolded.

49ers wrote:

Whether you are saying right now, or at any time before or after, you did say you thought Smith was better than Ryan. In the bolded statement, you said you "never said"....

While I understand where you are coming from, you did make that statement, and you also said Matt Ryan was "HORRID", which is really an unfair statement given how well his team fared and the numbers he put up. I agree he could have or should have done more...but one could say the same about Alex Smith for the past few years, no?

In fact, it's a ridiculous comparison or argument because on any given day a QB can be significantly better than his counterpart, even if said counterpart is widely viewed as the better player. Is Matt Flynn a better QB than Matt Stafford? One game used as a basis, the answer would be yes. But you aren't going to sell that here in Detroit, or across most of the NFL.

March 3rd, 2012, 5:13 pm
Varsity Captain

Not all Lions fans are this bad. I just gotta keep telling myself that.

March 4th, 2012, 12:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

the 5 best QBs in the NFL

1. Matthew Stafford
2. Matthew Stafford
3. Matthew Stafford
4. Matthew Stafford
5. Matthew Stafford

End all research

March 6th, 2012, 1:06 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
49ers wrote:
Yet another person comparing Ryan to Alex Smith statistically. Has nothing to do with anything that was mentioned. I never said Alex Smith was better (can't believe I'm repeating myself yet again, lol), I said I TRUST Alex Smith more.

Read what is bolded.

49ers wrote:

Whether you are saying right now, or at any time before or after, you did say you thought Smith was better than Ryan. In the bolded statement, you said you "never said"....

While I understand where you are coming from, you did make that statement, and you also said Matt Ryan was "HORRID", which is really an unfair statement given how well his team fared and the numbers he put up. I agree he could have or should have done more...but one could say the same about Alex Smith for the past few years, no?

In fact, it's a ridiculous comparison or argument because on any given day a QB can be significantly better than his counterpart, even if said counterpart is widely viewed as the better player. Is Matt Flynn a better QB than Matt Stafford? One game used as a basis, the answer would be yes. But you aren't going to sell that here in Detroit, or across most of the NFL.

I actually agree with 49ers. Matt Ryan is pretty much Brad Johnson taken 3rd overall. Smith and Ryan both have awesome running games but Ryan has much better Wrs, yet after this last season I do trust Alex Smith(IN THAT OFFENSE) more than Matt Ryan. I know the Giants won the whole thing but Matt Ryan produced 0 pts in his 3rd playoff game and he has Roddy White, Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez, and Micheal Turner at his disposal.

Although Ryan did get 26 bench reps at the combine

March 6th, 2012, 1:13 am
Modmin Dude

Killwill25 wrote:
the 5 best QBs in the NFL

1. Matthew Stafford
2. Matthew Stafford
3. Matthew Stafford
4. Matthew Stafford
5. Matthew Stafford

End all research