View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 FavreWatch 2011 
Modmin Dude

Post FavreWatch 2011
You know you missed it! :lol:

This one appears to have a short shelf life though...

PFT wrote:
Brett Favre is done, but “I can throw the ball as well as ever”
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 14, 2011, 3:08 PM EDT

Brett Favre says he’s really, truly done playing football. But he wants to make clear that if he wanted to keep playing, he could.

“I can still throw the ball as well as I ever have. No question about that,” Favre told the Sun Herald today at his football camp.

But what Favre can’t handle anymore is the wear and tear on his body that an NFL season is sure to bring.

“I don’t want to put my body through that anymore,” he said. “I’ve been beat up enough.”

Favre indicated that he’d like to work with young football player, “but in what capacity, I’m not really sure yet.” He added that he has “no plans right now and we’ll see where that takes me.”

But he promises it won’t take him to an NFL team. He’s retired, and this time he says he means it. Really.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... /#comments

Joe Fauria, MVP!

June 14th, 2011, 4:53 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: FavreWatch 2011
Haha...

June 14th, 2011, 6:25 pm
RIP Killer

WHO CARES?!?!?!

June 14th, 2011, 9:25 pm
Veteran General Manager

I'm not worried about him playing. I am, however, afraid he will be hired by one of the pregame shows. I hope it's not Fox.

You know he is going to wind up on one of them. ](*,)

June 14th, 2011, 9:27 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

They need to pair him up with John Madden......

So that John can actually blow him after all these years of just verbally blowing him.

June 15th, 2011, 5:11 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Team Captain

Now that is one vision I could have lived with out.

June 15th, 2011, 5:34 pm
League MVP

yeah no kidding..thanks for the scarring mental image DJ :evil:

June 15th, 2011, 5:50 pm
Modmin Dude

NFL.com wrote:
Favre's family members insist QB retired for good this time
NFL.com
Published: July 10, 2011 at 03:55 p.m. Updated: July 10, 2011 at 04:07 p.m

Brett Favre is indeed done playing in the NFL. At least that's what those closest to the 41-year-old quarterback believe.

"I would say there's less than a 1 percent chance (he would return)," Favre's brother, Scott, told the Sun Herald in Biloxi, Miss. "He is retired."

Said Favre's mother, Bonita: "I would hope he would not do it. He is crazy if he does."

Those comments came last week, shortly after NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt expressed his belief that Favre would listen if any teams expressed an interest in having the quarterback return for a 21st NFL season. Brandt later explained that his view was brought on by pre-draft reports of Favre wanting to mentor No. 1 overall draft pick Cam Newton.

"I don't think that you make an inquiry to work out somebody or help somebody develop as a player in a coaching way if you don't have something in your mind about coming back to play," Brandt said Wednesday on NFL Network. "And then I think he probably looks around the league, and there's a lot of what ifs. What if Seattle doesn't sign (Matt) Hasselbeck and (offensive coordinator) Darrell Bevell, who was his coach at both Green Bay and at Minneapolis, is there?

"They need somebody to fill that spot, I think Favre is enough of a competitor that if somebody said to him, 'Come on, come on in, we can use you. You might not be a starter,' I think he would come out of his retirement."

Favre has come out of retirement twice, first in 2008 to play for the New York Jets after 16 seasons with the Green Bay Packers, then again in 2009 to join the Minnesota Vikings. Last year, Favre reportedly was leaning toward a third retirement, but some teammates flew to his home in Hattiesburg, Miss., and convinced him to play.

Favre struggled in his second year with Minnesota, throwing for 2,509 yards and 11 touchdowns with 18 interceptions in 13 starts before sustaining a season-ending injury. He filed retirement papers with the league in January.

Favre currently holds the NFL records for passes completed (6,300) and attempted (10,169), passing yards (71,838), passing touchdowns (508) and passes intercepted (336). He also tops the list in games started (298), sacks taken (525) and fumbles (166).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... _headlines

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 11th, 2011, 4:37 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:
Just when you thought the relationship between Joe Webb and Brett Favre was over, guess again.

In an interview with the media relations department of his alma mater (Alabama-Birmingham), Webb said he has remained busy during the lockout, including working out with Favre in Hattiesburg, Miss.

After working out with new teammate Christian Ponder at the IMG training facility in Florida, according to the interview, he has spent “the past few weeks” working out with Favre in Hattiesburg on his throwing game.

“It’s great to have a person like that as my contact,” Webb said. “He can still sling it.”

The fact that Favre has voluntarily take on a mentor’s role with Webb, a player who was a teammate for just one season but a very engaging and likeable person, is a testament to both – Favre in his willingness to help a young player viewed as a professional long shot at quarterback and Webb to travel on his own dime to learn from one of the masters.

While conspiracy theorists may point to the meeting as an opportunity for Favre to see the new Vikings playbook – Webb may have brought one with him to Hattiesburg – but, for the rest of us, it looks like a win-win situation for two guys from two different generations giving back something to the

July 15th, 2011, 9:50 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Hmmm.. talk of Eagles maybe going for Farve. He would be a backup to Vick.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

July 25th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Just so nobody misunderstands my position on this, let me reiterate.......

m2karateman wrote:
WHO CARES?!?!?!

July 25th, 2011, 12:32 pm
1st Round Pick

Come on, he's a good man.

July 27th, 2011, 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Brett Favre's waiting game
Updated: July 29, 2011, 12:21 PM ET

By Rick Reilly

Brett Favre and I are standing in his long dirt driveway in Hattiesburg, Miss.

The sun is roasting my forehead like a rotisserie chicken.

"Yep, they'll be comin' purdy soon," Favre says.

The hot winds whip up the grit. It paints the back of my throat.

"How much longer, do you think?" I ask.

"Soon," Favre says, his neck craning down the long empty rural road that runs in front of his house. "They always come and get me 'bout this time of the year."

A tumbleweed stumbles by. Birds are so exhausted by the heat that they're walking.

"You think maybe they thought you meant it this time?" I say. "I mean -- about retiring?"

"Aw, hell, no," he says, spitting tobacco. "I say somethin' like that every year. I been sayin' that crap since '03. Nobody ever really believes it. Hell, one year I even held a press conference. Cried and everythin'. But my boys know the truth. My boys'll be along. They need me."

A single drop of sweat falls off my nose. I try to catch it on my tongue.

"Who, exactly, are we talking about?"

"My boys! My Viking teammates! Jared and Hutch and Longs! They'll probably do somethin' hilarious. Like come in a Hooters bus or somethin'. They'll beg me to come back and I'll finally laugh and give in. Then we'll chug a few brewskis on the way to the jet. It just waits there for us. Zygi don't mind. He wants me back."

I look back at the house. His dog is under the porch. His wife, Deanna, stands at the upstairs window. I look at her. She just shrugs.

"Um, Brett? Zygi just traded for Donovan McNabb."

"Sure, as my backup."

"Well, uh, actually, I don't think so, Brett. It's just that you're 41 now. I mean, you're a legend, for sure, but last season you looked a little slow. And you had eight more picks than touchdowns."

Favre looks at me for the first time since sunrise.

"Hey, I got every dang quarterbackin' record in NFL history. Most touchdowns, most completions, most straight starts--"

"Most interceptions, most sacks, most fumbles…" I add under my breath.

"--most yards, most wins. Nah, they'll be along."

Another hour goes by. The last helpless cloud gives up and vaporizes.

Finally, in the distance. We see something. It's a purple-and-gold van. After another couple of minutes, we can see that it's flying huge Vikings flags.

"I'll be damned," I say.

Brett grabs his bags and walks toward the road, but the van just honks as it speeds by, while the passengers flip us off. One hollers, "Thanks for nothin', Favre!" They leave us in a brown cloud.

I wipe my mouth and eyes on my sleeve. Brett is undaunted.

"It's gonna be great to see the boys," he says, spitting dirt.

Two more hours. A cow falls over sideways.

"Brett, I don't wanna be a buzzkill here, but the Vikings don't need a quarterback."

Favre takes his red bandanna out of the back pocket of his Wrangler jeans and dabs at his brow. "Then it'll be my boys from Green Bay. They'd send the damn Marines to get me back!"

"Well, actually, the Packers have Aaron Rodgers now. They just won the Super Bowl with him. And you may not be quite as popular in Green Bay as you once were."

Pause.

"Jets, then."

"Brett, you can't go anywhere near the Jets. Remember Jenn Sterger?"

"OK -- Philly."

"Philly's got Michael Vick!"

Favre gives me a hard stare."Somebody's comin'. It just takes 'em awhile to figure out that even though I say I don't wanna come back, I really just want people to want me back. I don't wanna have to ask, you know?"

We wait another hour. I look back at the upstairs window. The curtains are closed. The dog is gone. I pray for sunstroke. The first crease of doubt crosses Brett's face.

"I don't get this," Favre says. "I did everything like I do every year. I announced my retirement. I worked out with the local high school team. I told Ed Werder I was done. How many signs do I gotta give?"

Just then, in the distance, we see the wavy images of a car approaching. As it gets closer, we can see it's black. Finally, we see that it's a long black limo.

It pulls into the driveway. Brett grabs his bags. The driver hops out and gets the back door. Tiki Barber steps out.

"Mind if I wait around with you guys?" Barber asks.

He stands next to Favre and cranes his neck up that long road.

"When's L.A. gettin' a team again?" Favre asks.

"Two years, tops," Barber says.

I look at my watch.

The minute hand clicks backward.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6815 ... iting-game

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 29th, 2011, 2:39 pm
1st Round Pick

Please come back, I want to see more INT!

July 29th, 2011, 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Favre says he lacks the motivation to play
Posted by Mike Florio on August 12, 2011, 8:54 AM EDT
Although some (such as me) think that Brett Favre has a Roger Clemens-style half-season or two left in the tank, Favre said Thursday that he simply doesn’t have the motivation to play again.

Appearing on WGR in Buffalo as part of the Hunter’s Hope Radiothon, Favre was asked by Joe Buscgalia if the future Hall of Famer has completely closed the door on a return in 2011.

Favre initially said (jokingly) that he’d completely closed the door on a return in each of the past three years.

But then, after acknowledging that he should have left the game following a “storybook” season in 2009 (but for the fact that the story ended without a Super Bowl appearance), Favre said he no longer has the motivation to play.

“I could easily talk myself into that chip on my shoulder like, ‘Hey everybody hates you . . . .’ and I could motivate myself,” Favre said. He then said that, now that he’s older, he simply doesn’t have the fire to do what needs to be done. “It’s that edge that makes the great players great,” Favre said.

(The fact that his motivation for 2011 would come from the notion that “everybody hates you” suggests that he is far more self-aware than his recent actions would suggest.)

Favre said that his first season in Minnesota may have been his best year ever, and that it was fueled by a desire to quiet those who pointed to his performance down the stretch in 2008 as proof that the Packers were smart to get rid of him.

“I threw six or seven interceptions, I mean, I’ve been known to throw that in a game,” Favre said. “I threw that the whole season.”

So while he said he’ll miss it on Sundays, it sounds like he really is done this time.

That said, given his recent history, I’m sticking with my position that Favre isn’t really retired until two seasons go by without Favre playing in at least one game. If a quarterback on a contending team pops an ACL after Halloween, Favre could be able to muster enough motivation for eight or nine games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-to-play/

Joe Fauria, MVP!

August 12th, 2011, 9:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next