View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Jim McMahon sues the NFL over concussions 
Modmin Dude

Post Jim McMahon sues the NFL over concussions
PFT wrote:
Jim McMahon sues the NFL over concussions
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 18, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT

Jim McMahon is one of seven former players suing the NFL over health problems that they say are the result of concussions and other brain injuries they suffered on the field.

McMahon, the Bears’ quarterback in their Super Bowl-winning 1985 season, joins a group of players saying that the NFL was negligent and that players have suffered from headaches, dizziness and dementia because of injuries suffered on the field.

“The purpose of this lawsuit is to obtain proper funding to address these horrible long-term issues and to compel the NFL to establish a medical monitoring system to reduce the risk that current and future players will end up with the same kind of chronic mental and physical problems,” the plaintiffs said in a joint statement.

McMahon revealed last year that he is suffering from memory loss. He said that when he was playing, teams didn’t care if players suffered concussions.

“Back then, it was just tape an aspirin to your helmet and you go back in,” McMahon said.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told the Associated Press that the league will vigorously contest the claims.

The other former players involved in the suit are Ray Easterling, Wayne Radloff, Gerry Feehery, Joe Thomas, Mike Furrey and Steve Kiner. In July, a separate group of dozens of former NFL players announced that they were filing their own lawsuit against the NFL over concussions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ncussions/

IMO, just one example of why the NFL is 'changing' and dishing out fines over hits like the one from Suh. There could be a lot of litigation coming on this front and they're possibly trying to cover their collective @$$es.

August 19th, 2011, 9:45 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Jim McMahon sues the NFL over concussions
The players can't just blame the NFL, no one knew better and no one could have expected to know better.

August 19th, 2011, 9:55 am
RIP Killer

Maybe his headband was just too tight back then!

August 19th, 2011, 10:30 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm ok with the NFLPA fighting for lifelong health insurance for these guys because of unknown implications later... but this retro pay me another couple million crap gets old.

August 19th, 2011, 10:34 am
NFL Team Captain

steensn wrote:
I'm ok with the NFLPA fighting for lifelong health insurance for these guys because of unknown implications later... but this retro pay me another couple million crap gets old.

I agree. Where is the personal responsibilty? If I decide to jump off a bridge, I know it's going to be dangerous and possibly cause death, but is it really the bridges manufacture's fault???

This stuff get stupider and stupider!

August 19th, 2011, 11:11 am
RIP Killer

My pet peeve is personal injury lawyers... I know they have their place, but they create their market in most cases. My wife fell at the SB Zoo and the path she was on was clearly more slippery than it maybe should have been. She went chasing after the kid she nanny's, slipped, fell, cracker her chin open, and had to get 10 stitches. We were both in agreement that we weren't going to go get out $20k we knew we could get because we had to stand our moral ground. Accidents happen, insurance paid for care, move on IMO. She fell, it happens.

If the the players are willing to take part in a game where injury happens and the long term effects of those injuries are unknown, they are responsible for that decision. The NFLPA should fight for supplying them with coverage because these long term effects ARE unknown. But they get paid well for the risk they take, even the undrafted rookies. If unknown repercussions are going to be a known issue, fight for long term healthcare as part of the pay and move on. They made a decision to take the risk, give them a level of protection long term, and let them own their decisions.

August 19th, 2011, 11:23 am
RIP Killer

I've said it before, I'll say it again.....nobody held a gun to these guys' collective heads and made them play the games. And I refuse to believe that when they got their concussions, the teams pushed them out onto the fields forcing them to play. As for being trained to "lead with your head", that's hogwash. When I was in high school, I was always taught to keep your head up and aim my facemask between the numbers. Putting your head down not only risked a concussion, but a broken neck as well.

I feel bad for the former players who now have dementia, or other related issues. But during their time in the league, they AND their families enjoyed financial prosperity most of us could only dream of. They paid a price for their fame, glory and money. Simply because they didn't foresee the possibilities doesn't mean they should be compensated for their own short sightedness.

And the contention that the NFL knew the long term health complications of concussions way back in the 1920's is absolutely ludicrous, in my opinion. Medical advancements in dealing with concussions and treating them are very recent, not a century old.

Entitlement, it's always about entitlement.

Where is all the concern for coal miners and other people who have worked in industries where long term health issues are commonplace, and they didn't get the lavish lifestyle, fame or endorsements to go with it?

Sorry, I am not that sympathetic to their requests.

August 19th, 2011, 11:46 am
RIP Killer

I ran gassers for an hour during practice my freshman year at iowa state when I tackled someone with my head down..and I didn't even do it intentionally

August 19th, 2011, 1:15 pm
QB Coach

This is the NFL version of the frivilous lawsuit. Retired players who no longer have the big payday, and have probably gone through significant amounts of their salaries, are now looking to cash in on a potential payday based upon past history. I agree with Steesn that the NFLPA should have the insurance for future illnesses due to past injuries, but I don't agree with payouts for past performance.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

August 20th, 2011, 1:10 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Its not even if your running with your head down or anything. If you get rocked pretty good, your brain will rattle in your head which can always cause a concussion.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

August 21st, 2011, 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lions2SB2 wrote:
Its not even if your running with your head down or anything. If you get rocked pretty good, your brain will rattle in your head which can always cause a concussion.

Understood, but the contention is that the players were taught in the NFL to "lead with their heads". So....does that include quarterbacks?

It's a ridiculous notion. Players who lead with their heads did so of their own choice, not because they were taught that. People usually lead with their heads when they want the big hit, or because they simply don't tackle all that well to begin with. Either way, it's not the fault of the NFL.

August 22nd, 2011, 9:43 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

If the NFL knew about the danger but intentionally ignored or downplayed it, then they should be held liable. If they had no knowledge, the case will go nowhere.

What if your employer knew there was asbestos in your office but didn't tell you? Would that still be a matter of free will?

August 22nd, 2011, 2:28 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
If the NFL knew about the danger but intentionally ignored or downplayed it, then they should be held liable. If they had no knowledge, the case will go nowhere.

What if your employer knew there was asbestos in your office but didn't tell you? Would that still be a matter of free will?

Statements were made that the NFL knew about the long lasting effects of concussions back in the 1920's. Since the medical community has just recently begun to understand these injuries, gathering information and reporting it, that would mean the NFL somehow knew more than our doctors and kept it a secret for over 80 years. I find that hard to believe. But if you wanna believe it, go right ahead.

It also leads to the contention by these players that they were taught to "lead with their heads", which is a lie. At every level of football I played, we were taught just the opposite. I don't think it would have been any different in the NFL.

August 22nd, 2011, 4:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]