View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 mcquarters mcgone from da bears 
All State

Post mcquarters mcgone from da bears
Quote:
Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears continue to look for ways to trade CB R.W. McQuarters. One league source said the asking price is so low, it's a foregone conclusion McQuarters will not be with the team when training camp opens in 10 weeks. One coach said Monday, May 9 the Bears are seeking only a seventh-round pick in exchange for McQuarters. The coach, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said McQuarters will most likely be released if a trade can't be worked out.

May 10th, 2005, 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I don't get it... Is he injured? What's his cap number this year?

I'd have thought a 7th round pick would be a good deal.

May 10th, 2005, 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't know what the deal is with McQuarters. He would definately be worth a 7th rounder IMO. I would sign him as a 5th CB and dump Goodman. McQ can also be the backup return man.

May 10th, 2005, 7:04 pm
QB Coach

But it was a terrible idea before the draft to give up Kosier for a seventh round pick.... :roll: (please note the sarcasm)

May 10th, 2005, 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
All State

seems to be cap related, the bears don't want to have their 3rd string cb making as much money as mcquarters contract called for.

May 11th, 2005, 10:21 am
Profile WWW
National Champion

McSpiderman McWrites McAwesome thread titles.

May 12th, 2005, 1:19 am
Hall of Fame Player

McSpiderman McWrites McAwesome thread titles.

Just kiddin' Spiddy.

:lol:

May 12th, 2005, 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post McQuarters won't be Back
Quote:
Bears | McQuarters won't be Back - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 21 May 2005 21:15:42 -0700

Larry Mayer, reports for ChicagoBears.com, Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said Saturday, May 21 CB R.W. McQuarters likely won't return even if the Bears are unable to trade him. The team is in the process of trying to complete a deal involving McQuarters. Angelo feels the team will be just fine without McQuarters.

Is it just me or would picking up McQuarters be a good catch for most teams?

I would have thought the Bears would see some action on this. I always thought of McQuarters as a fairly decent CB.

May 22nd, 2005, 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post It's Official - He's Gone!!
Quote:
May 23, 2005, 7:06 PM ET

McQuarters signed $21M extension in 2002

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears released former Oklahoma State defensive back R.W. McQuarters on Monday.

McQuarters, who signed a $21 million contract extension with the Bears in January 2002 that ran through 2006, was acquired by the Bears in a trade with the San Francisco 49ers in 2000.

In five seasons in Chicago, McQuarters played in 47 of 72 games and had 295 tackles and nine interceptions. Last season, he showed his versatility when he switched from cornerback to safety and returned punts.

During the last two seasons, McQuarters returned 81 punts for 887 yards and two touchdowns.

"After exploring trade opportunities with R.W., we felt it was in everybody's best interest to release him at this time," general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement. "We respect and appreciate his accomplishments as a Bear and wish him well."

McQuarters played college football at Oklahoma State from 1995 to 1997 and holds the school's season records with 27 kickoff returns and 645 kickoff return yards.

Associated Press Via ESPN.com

It will be interesting to see if the Lions bring him in to talk. Dick Jauron had McQuarters when he was head coach of the Bears and he would know him well as a result. McQuarters can play Safety as well as add depth at corner and he would not cost as much as Ty Law.

May 24th, 2005, 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

I see McQ as a possible backup plan should the Law thing not work out. That way we could add depth in the secondary (since Millen always wants more and Jauron may know and trust McQ--like Lionsfan57 said) and he could be the back up return man (like Conversion said). Wasn't it McQ that returned a punt and an INT against us two seasons ago?

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

May 24th, 2005, 8:16 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post McQuarters Vs. Law
The more I think about this the more it feels like McQ is a better deal that Law.

I look at it like this:

Ty Law at his best is a better CB than RW McQuarters - I think that's a given.

But ALL THINGS concidered, such as;

1) McQ will be less expensive - probably considerably cheaper.

2) McQ is healthy - Law may never be 100% again. (And BTY, I know it's ONLY a foot injury - But he needs to use his foot on every play for the rest of his career).

3) We don't have to wait for McQ - we could get him now (after 1/Jun when we cut someone) and not wait to if Law gets better and lose McQ in the process.

4) McQ is 28 - Law is 31. I'm much more comfortable with a long term (and more cap friendly) contract with a 28 y.o. player.

5) Law is known to be somewhat selfish and a problem in the locker room.

6) McQ has (and presumably would again) play FS - I'm not sure Law would or could.

7) In a pinch McQ can return kickoffs and punts.

As I say all things considered - McQ is not such a bad deal at all. In fact I don't know how big a drop off there would be in the basic CB game of McQ vs. Law.

The key to knowing what's going on is if McQuarters comes to Detroit for a meeting in the near future. Jauron is the key. I'd say if McQ comes to town within a week - the Lions are very interested; otherwise Jauron has said he doesn't want him.

May 24th, 2005, 10:06 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I completely agree LF57. I think McQ is a much more realistic option, and much more versatile than Law.

I would still like to see the Lions court Lance Shulters if he gets cut post June 1st. And if it comes down to choosing between RW and Lance, I would go with Lance. But that's a tough call.

May 24th, 2005, 11:53 am
RIP Killer

Interesting article (excerpt) by the Chicago Times on McQuarters.

McQuarters on the way out
May 10, 2005
BY BRAD BIGGS Staff Reporter

"...McQuarters, 28, has 20 starts in the last two seasons, but almost all were necessitated by injuries to players who had passed him on the depth chart. He made 80 tackles in 2004, the second most in his career, and was fourth in the NFC in punt returns with a 9.9-yard average, but his undisciplined play frequently showed up even before he was moved to free safety in what amounted to a last-gasp effort by defensive coaches.

The biggest news he made came off the field when it was revealed in November that Bank One, a major team sponsor, sued McQuarters for allegedly failing to pay his mortgage for nine months.

The Bears acquired McQuarters from the 49ers in 2000 for a sixth-round pick, one of the better moves former personnel director Mark Hatley made. While he never fit in for the 49ers, who drafted him in the first round in 1998, he became a starter opposite Walt Harris in 2001, when he had a career-high three interceptions. With three of the four starters in the secondary having their contracts up for renewal, general manager Jerry Angelo extended McQuarters with a $21 million, five-year contract that included a $5.5 million signing bonus.

Injuries affected his play in 2002, limiting him to nine games. He was pushed to a role in the nickel package the next season by Charles Tillman and Jerry Azumah, but broke out as a punt returner. With Azumah and Tillman both injured last season, McQuarters again started but struggled..."

Last edited by conversion02 on May 24th, 2005, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 24th, 2005, 12:01 pm
RIP Killer

Looks like another veteran CB might be avaialbe. The Seahawks are considering the possibility of releasing cornerback Bobby Taylor after June 1, according to the Seattle Times. Taylor, who signed with the team as a free agent last season, played sparingly due to a chronically sore right knee. By waiting until after June 1 to release Taylor, the Hawks will lessen the hit they will take to the 2005 salary cap.

May 24th, 2005, 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Personally, I would rather have Taylor than McQ.

May 24th, 2005, 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next