View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Seahawks Shopping Curry 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Seahawks Shopping Curry
hamma77 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
I think Curry is one of the biggest busts in the last 10 years.

No way not even top 10 or even top 30. He played decent last year. Not as good as a #2 draft pick but not worthless like jamarcus Russell.

For the record, Curry was the fourth overall selection that year...

But I agree hamma....Curry isn't even close to being one of the biggest busts of the past ten years.

From 2009 you still have Jason Smith and Tyson Jackson, who were taken ahead of Curry, and they've not been impressive by any stretch.

In 2008 you have Vernon Gholston and Derrick Harvey going 6th and 8th respectively, and have amounted to NOTHING.

In 2007 you have JRuss, Gaines Adams (RIP), Jamaal Anderson, Ted Ginn and Amobi Okoye....none of whom are with their original teams or even sniffed a Pro Bowl, yet all went within the top ten.

In 2006 there was Reggie Bush, Vince Young, Ernie Sims and Matt Leinart. While Bush, Young and Sims did at least play some football, or are still playing, Leinart was a huge bust.

In 2005 we have the motherload of busts in the top ten:
Alex Smith, Braylon Edwards, Cedric Benson, Pacman Jones, Troy Williamson, Antrell Rolle and Detroits pick of Mike Williams.

That only covers five years...and it's too early to call a 2010 or 2011 pick a bust. And that covers only those taken top ten. In my opinion, any first round pick that doesn't become a starter by his second or third season is pretty much a bust. There are exceptions, but they are very rare.

Curry never met his draft expectations. I thought he would be a really good NFL linebacker, and a pro bowl level player. So did many others. But like I've always said, I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.

October 13th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Quote:
Alex Smith, Braylon Edwards, Cedric Benson, Pacman Jones, Troy Williamson, Antrell Rolle and Detroits pick of Mike Williams.

Alex Smith is finally having a decent year. Braylon and Benson have had their moments. Antrell Rolle was the biggest free agent safety signing last year.

Agreed about everybody else though.

October 13th, 2011, 1:33 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Quote:

Alex Smith is finally having a decent year. Braylon and Benson have had their moments. Antrell Rolle was the biggest free agent safety signing last year.

Agreed about everybody else though.

When you are taken top ten, "having moments" and/or taking six years to finally have a "decent" year isn't what I would consider shedding the bust label.

Top ten players, and first overall picks especially, are supposed to be able to be plugged in almost immediately. Smith was benched for poor performance numerous times in his career. If it was a case of the offensive scheme not suiting him, it doesn't make him any less of a bust as a first overall pick. As for Edwards and Benson, they never panned out for their original teams as the perennial Pro Bowlers they should have been being taken 3rd and 4th overall. While they may all still be in the league, my personal view is that as top ten selections, they didn't even come close to meeting the expectations laid on them. As such, I consider them busts.

October 13th, 2011, 11:32 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

You're right, there have been a lot of busts. But I still think Curry is up there because of the expectations people had.

He went fourth as a linebacker--which is unheard of. He was considered to be the safest pick in the draft. People were already penciling in his HoF ballot.

Even the people that wanted Stafford would say things like, "I accept that Curry is going to be a great player, but I don't want to draft him because of his position."

No one thought he would be as bad as he's been. And no, he hasn't played "decent." Go to a Seahawks message board and read what they think about him. He was benched for a player taken in the fourth round and traded away for peanuts.

October 13th, 2011, 11:49 pm
Heisman Winner

He hasn't been bad though. Not what was expected but still produces a little at least.

October 14th, 2011, 7:03 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Blueskies wrote:
You're right, there have been a lot of busts. But I still think Curry is up there because of the expectations people had.

He went fourth as a linebacker--which is unheard of. He was considered to be the safest pick in the draft. People were already penciling in his HoF ballot.

Even the people that wanted Stafford would say things like, "I accept that Curry is going to be a great player, but I don't want to draft him because of his position."

No one thought he would be as bad as he's been. And no, he hasn't played "decent." Go to a Seahawks message board and read what they think about him. He was benched for a player taken in the fourth round and traded away for peanuts.

did they announce what the draft picks were yet? I thought they had to wait untill the contract was reworked.

October 15th, 2011, 12:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2