View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 12:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Palmer to the Raider 
QB Coach

Post Palmer to the Raider
Carson Palmer has been traded to the Raiders for a 2012 first round pick and a conditional 2013 second round pick that could rise to a first rounder.

October 18th, 2011, 11:16 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: Palmer to the Raider
Mike Brown might win Exec of the Year for this trade. Highway robbery--two firsts for a guy who had no value to the Bengals? I'm sure the Raiders are happy to have a QB they can play with for several years but it is difficult to understand the price they paid.

October 18th, 2011, 11:22 am
RIP Killer

WOW

and I thought with the passing of Al Davis that some of this nonsense might come to an end.

October 18th, 2011, 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Raiders got fleeced... I like Palmer, but that's just crazy, especially given the bargaining position of the Bengals.

October 18th, 2011, 11:56 am
QB Coach

The Bengals were in excellent position. They didn't have to move Palmer, and if he tried to report they had enough cap space to bring him back and sit him on the bench. I personally think this is a pretty good move for the Raiders. Palmer is rested and the Raiders have a pretty solid team around him. They gave up a bit too much but really didn't have much else to deal. He'll keep them in playoff contention this year and could even help cost the Bengals a wild card spot.

October 18th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Wow is right!

Do the Raiders even have any draft picks left for the 2012?

October 18th, 2011, 12:10 pm
RIP Killer

Sorry, I think the Raiders paid WAAAAY too much. Palmer is still young enough to be effective. But he's basically been out of the game for close to a year. That's a bunch to pay for a guy who never could get the Bengals over the hump.

I can't imagine there was another team offering close to that same level of compensation.

What is Palmer's current contract? How long, how much?

October 18th, 2011, 1:48 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
The Bengals were in excellent position. They didn't have to move Palmer, and if he tried to report they had enough cap space to bring him back and sit him on the bench. I personally think this is a pretty good move for the Raiders. Palmer is rested and the Raiders have a pretty solid team around him. They gave up a bit too much but really didn't have much else to deal. He'll keep them in playoff contention this year and could even help cost the Bengals a wild card spot.

The Bengals were in a horrible bargaining position. They had a guy who was blatantly not coming back, ever. They could choose to get nothing from him, or something. They got a LOT... The market sets the price. Like M2 said, I HIGHLY doubt that anyone was close to the level of compensation that Oak offered.

October 18th, 2011, 2:13 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Palmer was Worth a 3rd (maybe), conditional to a 2nd if they made the playoffs.

a 1st and 2nd/1st is maybe the worst trade of the past few years easily eclipsing the Roy Williams and other fleecings unless he puts them over the hump and not just to the playoffs, but deep.

They have talent on the current roster, but in 2-3 years will still have no QB, and wont have had many picks int he previous drafts.

This was a Rookie GM move by a Rookie GM looking to make a big splash. And they did, problem is it was the bellyflop that caused it.

October 18th, 2011, 3:07 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Varsity Captain

Raiders don't have a pick until the 5th round this year #-o

October 18th, 2011, 3:13 pm
RIP Killer

Boz wrote:

Well they usually draft 5th round talent in the first so perhaps they get decent value for a change.

October 18th, 2011, 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
Boz wrote:

Well they usually draft 5th round talent in the first so perhaps they get decent value for a change.

Well, that just means they'll get an UDFA with their 5th :wink:

Joe Fauria, MVP!

October 18th, 2011, 3:54 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Lions should have jumed in and offered Hill for a 3rd round pick if the Raiders were willing to give up that much for Palmer.

October 18th, 2011, 5:16 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
The Lions should have jumed in and offered Hill for a 3rd round pick if the Raiders were willing to give up that much for Palmer.

I don't know that I'm willing to bet the season on Stafford's arm, and Stanton's $0.02 head just yet... I'll keep the assurance for a 3rd round pick.

October 18th, 2011, 5:30 pm
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

The Bengals were in a horrible bargaining position. They had a guy who was blatantly not coming back, ever. They could choose to get nothing from him, or something. They got a LOT... The market sets the price. Like M2 said, I HIGHLY doubt that anyone was close to the level of compensation that Oak offered.

Again, I believe the Bengals were in great position. They had a guy who everyone knew wasn't coming back to them. OK. They didn't want him. They went out and got Dalton who is playing pretty well. The Bengals could have squatted on Palmer's rights til he was too old to play. And as I said if he tried to "force their hand" by returning, they had the cap space to sit him for the rest of the year. I doubt the did anything to try to move him. They were able to wait til a contending team lost a QB and made an offer they liked. And they were able to get a higher price because they didn't have to make the move. So in order to entice them, a team would have to pay a premium.

October 18th, 2011, 8:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next