View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 11:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Wild card picks 
League MVP

Post Wild card picks
Interesting weekend of games, playoffs rarely go according to seeding and our view of the NFL and how we feel about the playoff teams will be dramatically different after the playoffs.

Without thinking about things too much here are my picks:

Bengals at Texans :

Neither playing all that well and both have backed into the playoffs. TJ Yates who I like to think of as a younger version of Shaun Hill should have Andre Johnson back and that means Arian Foster and Tate will be able to run the ball. The HOU defense should be able to stop anyone. Bengals have a shot and Id pick them if Johnson didnt play but the pick is Texans.

Steelers at Broncos:

Broncos with some miserable play recently but they still have a tough defense with strong play from the corners and a good passrush. Perfect matchup for them because the Steelers will be without Pouncey there best OL and QB Ben Roethlisberger is without the ability to extend plays - normally his strong suit - bc of an ankle injury. Further RB Mendenhall is done as well and Ike Redman is not a dynamic back. Worse yet for PIT is that without Pouncey and Mendenhall their backup QB Batch would be just as much of a sitting duck as the injured Big Ben - Dennis Dixon has the ability to extend plays but I dont think PIT will have him available. The real question is can DEN score on the PIT defense? Im not so sure but Roethlisberger takes unnecessary risks and a defensive score or field position should be enough for Matt Prater to seal the deal. Dont forget that Britton Colquit is one of the best punters in the game and should be considered a weapon in a game like this. BRONCOS

ATL at NYG

Giants secondary has been a disaster and their running game isnt working as well as it normally should. They do have an outstanding defensive line and ATL is a dome team going to play outdoors which is usually not a good thing. I know a lot of people are picking the Giants and my instinct is to pick them too but when I consider the matchups ATL is the more complete team and I think Brian Van Gorder has seen enough on tape to prevent big plays from Victor Cruz. FALCONS

I d like to take the Lions but I do believe the Saints experience is a factor and that they are a much better team at home. Anything can happen and I ve found a million ways the Lions could win but logic still says the Saints win.

RD 2:

Saints at 49ers
Polar opposite type teams. The Niners have struggled a little recently but get a bye to game plan which Jim Harbaugh said he would focus mostly on the Saints which as much as I hate that he said it publicly, probably was the right move for his team. Saints shouldnt be able to pressure Smith with the San Fran line playing at its best. The run game with Frank Gore should open it up a little and with Smith having all day to throw, San Fran will play a possession game with Crabtree, V Davis and Gore. The Niners will have their hands full with Brees but should be able to generate pressure either up the middle with Smith or off the right tackle. NINERS

Falcons at Packers
Falcons pull out a tough one in week 1 on the road but now get the tougher matchup and I dont think their secondary can handle Rodgers and co with a healthy Jennings. The Falcons will score a lot but not as efficiently as the Packers. This will be the highest scoring game of the playoffs. PACKERS

HOU at BAL
Ravens D too much for Yates and Co and Ray Rice will generate enough offense to win this one. BAL

DEN at NE
NE wins essentially an uncontested game

AFC Championship
Baltimore is prone to letdowns and us Lions fans still wonder how good NE really is especially after we frustrated them badly in the playoffs but Brady and co dont squander shots to go to the Super Bowl. Belichik has found a passing game that nobody has figured out how to defend even in short spurts. Big Day for Gronk and Hernandez in this one. PATRIOTS

NCF Championship
49ers at Packers
I think inclement weather might favor the 49ers but this is a tall task. PACKERS

Super Bowl:
Patriots over Packers

January 6th, 2012, 10:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]