View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 12:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 NFL may expand replay, automatically review end zone plays 
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: NFL may expand replay, automatically review end zone pla
UK Lion wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
The Legend wrote:
even this rule change wouldnt be enough to neutralize the terrible performance by the refs in that game. the entire challenge system is flawed. when the league chose to have replay they essentially decided that the goal would be to get the calls right but this system limits that. who came up with the idea that each team can only challenge a max of 3 calls per game? was that based on statistical analysis involving the frequency of bad calls? if so maybe they should redo that analysis, ive seen it too many times when a coach is unsure what to do with a bad call early in the game bc they might run out later. is that why this replay system was designed - to create another level of strategy? does it really make sense for a coach to be right about a blown call but then to look at the replay and say "its not conclusive" and charge that team with a timeout? why is there a penalty for taking another look at a bad call - isnt it bad enough the ref made a bad call now u want to penalize that team even more bc the tv crews didnt have a perfect angle. then there is the rule of penalizing teams 15 yards for challenging plays that arent challengable? why so much strategy and risk/reward involved with this? I just dont understand why the system was designed this way, it seems insane to me.

The college system makes more sense to me - they end up reviewing not probably but definitely too many plays but they are more committed to getting them right and teams/coaches dont get penalized or have to hire extra people to review things - they can stay focused on coaching the game. IMO the NFL should make a decision - we re either going to be dedicated to getting the calls right and change our replay system or accept that replay slows down the game, accept that missed calls are part of the game and do away with replay altogether.

I agree that the college system makes more sense to me. The other change I'd like to see is to move to an NHL style review system, where the refs on the field aren't the ones having to overturn their own calls. Rather, there is a review group that is assigned to each game, and they do the reviews. So, the ref would put on headphones and be connected to the reviewers, and they would give him the decision. That way, it takes the human aspect of having to admit that you or one of your crew messed up and made a bad call. I think that would help get rid of the lack of overturning obvious bad calls.

Agree with this.

The other advantage of having 100% booth review is that they can begin the process of reviewing every play immediately after it ends. So if you still have a challenge flag system, once the flag is thrown it's a lot quicker to arrive at a decision - the review has begun even before the flag is thrown, its going on whilst the ref announces to the crowd that a play has been challenged, and there's none of the time wasted with the ref heading over to the monitor.

I think a 100% booth review system could work well with an expanded challenge flag system - eg 6 challenges per game (3 per half), first one per half is free, next 2 cost a potential time out. Seems to strike a good balance between keeping the game flowing, but allowing wrong calls to be corrected, to me.

I like that idea a lot!

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

February 8th, 2012, 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think part of the reason the NFL hasn't adopted the collegiate challenge/review system is that the NFL aggressively protects the referrees such that even a coach or player who publicly questions a call often gets called to the carpet and fined for it. I think that is horsesh!t. If a ref makes a bad call, he makes a bad call. They should acknowledge it and not punish the person who said it for having an opinion...often a correct one. The referrees are grown men, and they know what's at stake when they make their calls. If they can't take the criticism, find a new line of work. Put on your big boy pants, buck up, and own up to the mistake.

Many times when the network replays the occurrence in real time, it's tough to make the call right. When its slowed down, then it's easy to have that 20/20 hindsight. But there's been more than a few calls made this season, in more than just Lions games, that were ridiculously bad. Perhaps even worse were the obvious non-calls that weren't made.

I think everytime the coach challenges and it gets overturned they should be allowed to challenge yet again without limits. If they get two wrong, then they're done. This way you won't have any idiot coaches challenging every play. Any scoring play, or any questionable play in the last two minutes of either half should be auto-reviewed without need for a challenge.

Calls are going to be missed. Keeping that element in the game is OK, as long as it doesn't affect the outcome. The trouble is, you never know if it will or not.

February 8th, 2012, 4:48 pm
Veteran General Manager

Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan have mentioned several times in the last 4 weeks how holding just isn't being called even though there have been several blatant holds.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,

Next season, I hope the Lions Offensive Linemen start holding on every play. If they get called for it, it will only be once or twice a game.

Everyone else did it to us in the 2nd half of the season. It's like our opponents got some memo that wasn't sent to us.

February 8th, 2012, 6:34 pm
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan have mentioned several times in the last 4 weeks how holding just isn't being called even though there have been several blatant holds.

Next season, I hope the Lions Offensive Linemen start holding on every play. If they get called for it, it will only be once or twice a game.

Everyone else did it to us in the 2nd half of the season. It's like our opponents got some memo that wasn't sent to us.

If you think the Lions aren't doing it too I'm not sure what you're watching. Every team does it. Detroit is no exception. We only notice the missed calls more because the Lions are "our" team.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

February 9th, 2012, 11:03 am
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:

If you think the Lions aren't doing it too I'm not sure what you're watching. Every team does it. Detroit is no exception. We only notice the missed calls more because the Lions are "our" team.

Yes and no. Yes, the Lions offensive linemen are doing some holding on just about every play. Every offensive lineman in the NFL does on just about every play. But there were more than a fair share of plays where opposing offensive linemen not only held, but dragged down Lions d-linemen, with a referree sitting right there to see it, and no flag. Against Green Bay and New Orleans (both times) it was utterly ridiculous, and that is what lead to Suh losing his cool on Turkey Day. At one point even Chris Collinsworth was making comments about how much holding the Packers were getting away with, and in the Saints game he pointed out how Carl Nicks basically grabbed Suh by the helmet and threw him down, and stated 'how could he (the ref standing there) not see that?'

Holding is supposed to be accepted as long as the lineman is not preventing the defensive player from moving in a certain direction, or isn't done away from the body. I've seen a number of times where the opposing tackles extend their arms and are basically wrapping around the neck of our defensive end.....no call.

There's a definite bias in the NFL towards the "premier" teams like the Saints and Packers. Their players seem to get away with more, whether it be holding, interference, etc.

February 9th, 2012, 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2