View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 11:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 49ers agree to terms with Randy Moss 
Team MVP

Post 49ers agree to terms with Randy Moss
Quote:
49ers agree to terms with Randy Moss
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 12, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
Getty ImagesRandy Moss is joining the San Francisco 49ers.

Moss, who had a workout with 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh today, has reached an agreement on a one-year deal with the team, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports. No financial terms of the contract have been disclosed.

For Moss, the deal means that one of the most exciting, explosive playmakers ever to play the wide receiver position is officially back in the NFL after a year away. If Moss is anything like the great player he once was, this is a big deal for the 49ers.

But the big question is whether Moss really has anything left. In 2010 he was traded from the Patriots to the Vikings, then cut by the Vikings and picked up by the Titans, and through it all he failed to make an impact on any of his teams. Then he missed all of 2011, and now he’s 35 years old and trying to make a comeback.

But if he’s capable of a comeback, the team that hosted the NFC Championship Game just got much better in the passing game.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 12th, 2012, 10:03 pm
Post Re: 49ers agree to terms with Randy Moss
Dammit...

Didn't they sign Manningham too? Does anyone know Manninghams contract details yet?

March 19th, 2012, 12:00 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Dammit...

Didn't they sign Manningham too? Does anyone know Manninghams contract details yet?

It may not matter. Peyton chooses Denver (which shocks me, because in my eyes that was the worst possible destination for him) and Alex Smith is in SERIOUS negotiations with Miami. If the 'niners don't get Smith back, they'll have a serious dilemma at their QB position. I liked Colin Kaepernick coming out of college, but my understanding is that he showed little improvement over the course of last year. Other scuttlebutt is that the 49ers are looking to bring in Josh Johnson for a visit. He's definitely not the answer, but is athletic and has a pretty decent arm.

Unless they trade for Tim Tebow, the newly revamped receiving corps in San Fran is going to have scraps throwing to them. Or a rookie.

March 19th, 2012, 1:46 pm
Varsity Captain

I'd be more shocked if Smith went to Miami than I was hearing Peyton choosing Denver. Miami will suck regardless, and he'll be replaced in 2013 by some rookie. He'd be on a good team with us, and have stability with a contract in place. Plus he already knows the system and he knows he'll be the starter.

Randy Moss won't mean as much to us as Manningham will. We just bumped our WR corp from "SUCK" to "NOT AS SUCKY".

March 20th, 2012, 12:57 pm
RIP Killer

49ers wrote:
I'd be more shocked if Smith went to Miami than I was hearing Peyton choosing Denver. Miami will suck regardless, and he'll be replaced in 2013 by some rookie. He'd be on a good team with us, and have stability with a contract in place. Plus he already knows the system and he knows he'll be the starter.

Randy Moss won't mean as much to us as Manningham will. We just bumped our WR corp from "SUCK" to "NOT AS SUCKY".

I think by signing Ross and Manningham the niners can look at other positions in the first round rather than WR. Still, if I were them and either Stephen Hill or Kendall Wright were still on the board, I'd have to strongly consider that selection. However, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see the pick go to either the O-line (RG) or D-line for quality depth.

March 20th, 2012, 10:01 pm
Varsity Captain

m2karateman wrote:
I think by signing Ross and Manningham the niners can look at other positions in the first round rather than WR. Still, if I were them and either Stephen Hill or Kendall Wright were still on the board, I'd have to strongly consider that selection. However, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see the pick go to either the O-line (RG) or D-line for quality depth.

Agreed.

March 21st, 2012, 10:45 am
Pop Warner Rookie

m2karateman wrote:
49ers wrote:

Dont be surprised if Harbaugh picks his Stanford TE Coby Fleener. Harbaugh loves TE's...

I think its going to be
1st. WR/TE
2nd. RG
3rd. S
4th. CB
5th. DT
6th. OL
7th. OL

“Jim's a dynamic man with incredible determination, willpower and energy. He's the ultimate in a driven person who has high expectations. The people around him respond. He's on the cutting edge with an outstanding football mind.” - Bill Walsh

March 21st, 2012, 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

modninerfan wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
49ers wrote:

Dont be surprised if Harbaugh picks his Stanford TE Coby Fleener. Harbaugh loves TE's...

I think its going to be
1st. WR/TE
2nd. RG
3rd. S
4th. CB
5th. DT
6th. OL
7th. OL

In the 1st Round? What about Vernon Davis?

I, too, can see the Niners taking a WR. Im thinking Alshon Jeffery will be there.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 21st, 2012, 4:49 pm
Varsity Captain

Harbaugh would take the TE in the first round. I can see it too. 3 TE sets with Gore and a WR? Why not!

March 21st, 2012, 6:08 pm
I really don't think the Niners should take a WR in the first round. They just signed Moss and Manningham, and they have Crabtree. I expect Crabtree to have a break out year (I really thought he would last year, but he got hurt, again). I think they should take OL in the first round. IMO it doesn't bode well to have three WRs that are new to your system running around out there. Sounds chaotic to me.

March 21st, 2012, 7:01 pm
Stats Boy

Seachickens want Fleenor so niners probably won't have the option to get him anyways.

March 24th, 2012, 5:13 pm
RIP Killer

lionsflow wrote:
Seachickens want Fleenor so niners probably won't have the option to get him anyways.

Well, the Seahawks pick 12th in the first round, so I don't see them taking him that early, particularly when they have other needs. Unless they trade back into the first round ahead of SF, which would take a nice amount of draft picks to do, they won't be that likely to get him.

I wouldn't be surprised if 'frisco took him. But then again, Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker are a pretty good tandem, and as such why should they pick up another TE and pay him first round money? They could wait until later and get a talented TE and not have to pay him as much.

As for the idea that they don't need to take a WR in the first round because of Manningham and Moss being signed, I don't necessarily agree. Crabtree gets hurt, Moss is an unknown, and Manningham is somewhat inconsistent. I think if Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill are still on the board, they'd be wise to consider that pick.

March 25th, 2012, 8:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]