View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Lance Schulters 
RIP Killer

Post Lance Schulters
There's been some mentioning of Lance Schulters being a possibility at FS after June 1 since it's possible he may be released.

Schulters will not go to practice

The Titans will hit the practice field today without safety Lance Schulters.

Titans General Manager Floyd Reese and agent Brian Levy, who represents Schulters, met yesterday and decided it would be best to keep the veteran out of harm's way as he continues to rehabilitate a foot injury from last season.

Schulters' status with the Titans was already in question because he is scheduled to count $4.2 million against the salary cap this season. If the Titans opt to release Schulters after June 1, they will get some salary cap relief.

So while his teammates practice this week and next, Schulters will work only on his conditioning.

''We are going to hold him out until his fate is decided one way or the other,'' Levy said. ''Obviously both sides wouldn't want to see him get hurt at this point. He could practice if need be, but I don't think it is in anyone's better interest for him to partake in the activities. ? He is not going to take a risk.''

Schulters, who was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in 1998, signed with the Titans as a free agent in 2002 and started every game at free safety in 2002 and 2003.

He started the first three games last season but suffered an injury to his left foot that sidelined him for the remainder of the season. Lamont Thompson replaced Schulters at free safety for the final 13 games.

''We want Lance, and he wants to be here. I think that is clear on both parties. Can we work it out? We're going to try,'' Reese said. ''It is no secret that our cap situation is up in the air and probably won't be settled for a little bit of time so it's probably best that he protects himself and that we protect ourselves.''

Said Levy: ''One way or another we'll have a resolution in the next few weeks.''

The Titans paid Schulters a $250,000 roster bonus in March, but his base salary for 2005 is scheduled to be $2.75 million. The Titans are approximately $2.5 million under the salary cap, but they'll need additional money to sign their 11 draft picks and to be in a position to sign other free agents leading up to the season.

Because of the structure of the league's collective bargaining agreement, teams get more cap relief for the upcoming season by releasing players June 1 or later because they can spread the salary cap hit over two seasons.

Levy also asked the Titans for permission to speak with other teams about Schulters before June 1. The Titans said no for now.

Although the Titans missed Schulters last season, some in the organization feel Thompson is ready to take over at free safety. Thompson had four interceptions in the 13 games Schulters missed.

But the Titans are in a dilemma at safety because starting strong safety Tank Williams is recovering from a knee injury and might not be ready for training camp.

May 17th, 2005, 11:29 am
Varsity Captain

He missed 13 games last season, that sounds like a serious injury. Has he fully recovered from that?
If he is cut I hope Millen doesnt think about picking up, he is probably goin to want to sign a big contract and I think the last thing we need is another well paid player coming off a season where he missed the majority of it due to injury. Besides I really want to see what Holt can do playing every game.

May 17th, 2005, 4:40 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I said it before an I'll say it again... We need to snag this guy right up! It'll be ideal for Holt and him battling it out...

Michael Huff for DROY

May 17th, 2005, 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

If the Lions could get Shulters at a reasonable price, I say get him. If he passes the physical he could make the secondary devastating. I would like to see what Holt can do as well, but if they battle it out and Shulters wins the job, then our defense is that much stronger. Besides, if Holt wins the job, Shulters is a much better option to backup Kenoy and Terrence than Bracy Walker.

May 18th, 2005, 8:41 am
Hall of Fame Player

If the Lions could get Shulters at a reasonable price, I say get him. If he passes the physical he could make the secondary devastating. I would like to see what Holt can do as well, but if they battle it out and Shulters wins the job, then our defense is that much stronger. Besides, if Holt wins the job, Shulters is a much better option to backup Kenoy and Terrence than Bracy Walker.

I couldn't agree more.

May 18th, 2005, 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]