View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 11:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 WHY TEAMS MISSED THE BOAT ON S.ALEXANDER & E.JAMES 
League MVP

Brian, you made some nice points and are loyal to your team. But c'mon if they had Edgerrin James and all they gave up was a 2nd round pick and some cap space you'd be the first one jumping up and down and handing them the division.

Also, you are calling Domanick Davis and Droughns great backs. You are relying on stats far too much. The difference is being able to be the man when defenses are focusing on you. The great ones do this, Alexander does, James and Ricky Williams can and the same with Portis (who average 1 yard per attempt more than Droughns and scored 10 more TDs each season in Denver). Lets see how Droughns does in Cleveland, wont be anywhere near Portis in Washington. Sure, some of the complete teams can plug less talented guys in and still get production but the best way to take your team to the next level is work around that stud RB. Marshall Faulk, Priest Holmes, S. Davis, Jamal Lewis, Fred Taylor and S. Alexander all made huge differences in recent seasons.

If Philly would have gone after Corey Dillon last year instead of Terrell Owens, I think we have a difft champ last season.

May 29th, 2005, 1:17 am
RIP Killer

If Philly would have gone after Corey Dillon last year instead of Terrell Owens, I think we have a difft champ last season.

Legend, you make some great points. Especially that one I quoted.

I do think Alexander is head and shoulders above most RBs in the league and a second round pick is definately worth a back like him.

I personally don't see why Minn doesn't go after one of these studs (Alexander) since they have a ton of money under the cap and could afford to give up a 2nd round pick.

May 29th, 2005, 10:39 am
QB Coach

Brian, you made some nice points and are loyal to your team. But c'mon if they had Edgerrin James and all they gave up was a 2nd round pick and some cap space you'd be the first one jumping up and down and handing them the division.

Also, you are calling Domanick Davis and Droughns great backs. You are relying on stats far too much. The difference is being able to be the man when defenses are focusing on you. The great ones do this, Alexander does, James and Ricky Williams can and the same with Portis (who average 1 yard per attempt more than Droughns and scored 10 more TDs each season in Denver). Lets see how Droughns does in Cleveland, wont be anywhere near Portis in Washington. Sure, some of the complete teams can plug less talented guys in and still get production but the best way to take your team to the next level is work around that stud RB. Marshall Faulk, Priest Holmes, S. Davis, Jamal Lewis, Fred Taylor and S. Alexander all made huge differences in recent seasons.

I would much rather have Kurt Warner and J.J. Arrington than Edgerrin James.

If we had gotten Edgerrin James, we wouldn't have gotten Kurt Warner and J.J. Arrington. If we would have gotten Kurt Warner, we wouldn't have gotten Edgerrin James, but still would have gotten a solid back in J.J. Arrington.

I'm not saying that Arrington needs to be a great back. Great backs in this league are overvalued, IMO, because it's the offensive line, it's the blocking schemes, that end up winning over talent in the backfield.

James has been successful because he has had a passing attack that has kept defenses away from focusing in on him. Same with Alexander, as Hasselbeck has been solid.

If backs are being valued as greatly as they are, then how come no other team went for these guys, if all it was, was a second round pick? I believe that runningbacks aren't that important, as long as you have a solid offensive line, and a good running scheme.

Arizona already has a formidable passing attack. They don't need someone to be "the man" in their offense, rather just a guy who will provide a running threat. That's what Arrington could do.

Denny has never been a guy who wants a factor back. He's all about the vertical passing game first. And he couldn't do that with Josh McCown at quarterback. Warner may be the answer.

Droughns won't do well in Cleveland. But that further illustrates my point. Teams like Denver, can take these seemingly poor runningbacks, put them into their system, and do well. Same with Atlanta, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, etc. It's the offensive line. It's the threat of a passing attack. It's the scheme. It's not the talent of the running back.

Faulk, Holmes, Davis, and Taylor won't be the feature backs for their teams next season. And of those backs, only Taylor I believe managed to stay healthy the entire season. They didn't make huge differences.

As for the Philly comment... I believe that's the most ludacris comment i've heard today. Owens meant SO MUCH for that team. He gave McNabb a go-to guy. He opened up the running game. He made other receivers on that team better. He was such a perfect fit, the city embraced him, every week he was putting up 120+ yards, 1-2 TDs. Anyone in their right mind would rather have Terrell Owens than Corey Dillon.

May 29th, 2005, 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

If backs are being valued as greatly as they are, then how come no other team went for these guys, if all it was, was a second round pick? I believe that runningbacks aren't that important, as long as you have a solid offensive line, and a good running scheme.

Arizona already has a formidable passing attack. They don't need someone to be "the man" in their offense, rather just a guy who will provide a running threat. That's what Arrington could do.

You bring up a good point, why didn't another team go for these guys? According to the teams, it's because they could get one in the draft. Exactly what you're saying. Teams with a good OL, don't need a Barry Sanders quality back, they can use a mid round draft pick and get a solid back. Hopefully that'll be the case with Arrington. However, I do think Alexander is in the upper-echelon of RBs in this league and should command more respect than a guy like Henry or Edge. Seahawks have nowhere near the Colts passing game and Alexander has proven to be the better RB with a less potent passing game.

I agree with you on Arrington, but the emphasis is on could. Arrington may be a solid back...or he could have a tough time adjusting to the NFL and be a backup for a year or two until he gets the hang of things. Training camp should be very interesting for the Cards, they have some new starters that need to prove they can be a playoff caliber team this year.

Brian wrote:
Denny has never been a guy who wants a factor back. He's all about the vertical passing game first. And he couldn't do that with Josh McCown at quarterback. Warner may be the answer.

What will they do next year, even if Warner puts up solid numbers? Try to resign him to another year or two deal so they don't jeopardize taking a huge cap hit on a long-term deal or do they enter the Leinart/Young pool that's forming? Seems like there's a few teams that look to be in desperate need of that "franchise" QB next year.

Brian wrote:
Droughns won't do well in Cleveland. But that further illustrates my point. Teams like Denver, can take these seemingly poor runningbacks, put them into their system, and do well. Same with Atlanta, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, etc. It's the offensive line. It's the threat of a passing attack. It's the scheme. It's not the talent of the running back.

I don't know if defenses fear Vick's passing ability but moreso his ability to run, which doesn't help me understand your point of mentioning Atlanta. Droughns will be subpar in Cleveland...their OL is terrible, I agree there.

Brian wrote:
As for the Philly comment... I believe that's the most ludacris comment i've heard today. Owens meant SO MUCH for that team. He gave McNabb a go-to guy. He opened up the running game. He made other receivers on that team better. He was such a perfect fit, the city embraced him, every week he was putting up 120+ yards, 1-2 TDs. Anyone in their right mind would rather have Terrell Owens than Corey Dillon.

They did well without Owens. I would rather have Dillon than Owens, but that's probably because Dillon isn't a giant douche like Owens is, you can rely on Dillon to play this year and be strong. The more talented play is Owens by far. So when Owens is the #1 man and he's getting 8-10 grabs per game, I would much rather have him on my team.

I'm tired now and I've gotta :x pottytrain5.gif XXfart.gif lol

May 29th, 2005, 3:12 pm
League MVP

they got to the Super Bowl without Owens. Maybe they dont beat ATL if they play in the GAdome but a big tough back like Dillon would allow them to control the tempo of games with sure yardage and wear down defenses which they cant do with Brian Westbrook catching screens and running only vs nickel sets.... You cant beat Bellichik with that kind of scheme and Westbrook isnt near as good as Marshall Faulk was. no team has outrushed Bellichik's NE in a super bowl but STL and PHI both passed for more yards than them...

May 31st, 2005, 1:33 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I don't think that Dillion had much of an impact in the super bowl. He had only 75 yards.

May 31st, 2005, 8:01 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

they got to the Super Bowl without Owens. Maybe they dont beat ATL if they play in the GAdome but a big tough back like Dillon would allow them to control the tempo of games with sure yardage and wear down defenses which they cant do with Brian Westbrook catching screens and running only vs nickel sets.... You cant beat Bellichik with that kind of scheme and Westbrook isnt near as good as Marshall Faulk was. no team has outrushed Bellichik's NE in a super bowl but STL and PHI both passed for more yards than them...

If Miami could beat Belicheck with the offense they have, then I would believe the key to beating Belicheck isn't the running game.

May 31st, 2005, 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2