View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 8:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Trent Dilfer: Matt Hasselbeck saved my life 
Modmin Dude

Post Trent Dilfer: Matt Hasselbeck saved my life
PFT wrote:
Trent Dilfer: Matt Hasselbeck saved my life
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 24, 2012, 10:22 AM EDT

In April of 2003, Trent Dilfer’s 5-year-old son, Trevin, died of heart disease. Dilfer, then the backup quarterback for the Seahawks, was so despondent that he thought he had no reason to keep playing football, and little reason to live.

But Dilfer ended up playing five more NFL seasons and is now working as a broadcaster, and Dilfer says it was his Seahawks teammate, Matt Hasselbeck, who did more than anyone to get him to start playing again, and to start living again.

“[Hasselbeck was] walking me through the most difficult time of my life. I mean I was a mess,” Dilfer said, via USA Today. “I’ll be very transparent. I mean I was 265 pounds and drinking myself to sleep. I’m depressed, my wife’s going, ‘What’s going on?’ And it’s that guy, Matthew Hasselbeck, that says, ‘This is over. I love you too much to let you do this to yourself. You need to come back up to Seattle.’ And I credit Matthew Hasselbeck for the type of father I am, the type of husband I am, because he really saved my life in 2003.”

Dilfer’s comments came in the context of the strong relationship Hasselbeck has with Jake Locker, the quarterback who has supplanted Hasselbeck as the Titans’ starter. Dilfer says there’s no better teammate to have than Hasselbeck.

“Jake Locker might be the luckiest guy in the NFL right now,” Dilfer said. “He’s got a good football team, he’s got a great coaching staff, and he’s got the best dude in the world — who probably should be playing — mentoring him and pushing him and teaching him those lessons. So Jake Locker, his family, his kids — not to mention the organization — are better off because Matthew Hasselbeck’s here. It’s great for Jake Locker, it’s tough for Matthew, but I guarantee you nobody will handle it better than Matthew.”

Dilfer may know better than anyone what kind of teammate Hasselbeck is.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-my-life/

August 24th, 2012, 11:23 am
QB Coach

Post Re: Trent Dilfer: Matt Hasselbeck saved my life
Don't know how many people know this, but Matt Hasslebeck is a Born Again Christian. In reading this report I was reminded of other football players of faith who are willing to take a back seat, in order that the Team will do better. I especially like the term, "no better teammate", because that embodies an important Christians teaching.

Philipians 2: 1 - 4, "Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others."

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

August 25th, 2012, 8:46 am
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Trent Dilfer: Matt Hasselbeck saved my life
There's nothing better on a team than a QB with starter potential, that will accept the role of backup, and work hard to make the #1 QB even better. That is gold in my book, absolute gold. Kudos to Hasselbeck, and it's a great story by Dilfer.

August 25th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]