View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Westbrook retiring as an Eagle 
Modmin Dude

Post Westbrook retiring as an Eagle
PFT wrote:
Westbrook retiring as an Eagle
Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT

One of the many tailbacks who bridged the seven-decade gap in Philly from Steve Van Buren to LeSean McCoy was Brian Westbrook, a third-round pick from Villanova who became one of the best running backs in the business.

Westbrook officially will retire on Wednesday as a member of the Eagles.

“I will always remember Brian for the electrifying, game-changing plays he made during his great career in Philadelphia,” owner Jeffrey Lurie said in a release. “He was one of those players you knew could score from anywhere on the field and one of the most exciting players I have ever watched. He was a great runner, receiver and returner and was certainly a fan favorite. We are thrilled to have him retire as an Eagle and we look forward to honoring him at Lincoln Financial Field on December 23 against the Redskins in what should be a very exciting atmosphere.”

Westbrook finished his Eagles career in 2009 with 9,785 yards from scrimmage, a team record. He also is only one of six players with 30 or more rushing touchdowns and 30 or more receiving touchdowns in his career. In 2007, he led the league with 2,104 yards from scrimmage.

Westbrook holds the team record for receptions in a season with 90, and he’s the most recent Eagle to score a franchise-high four touchdowns in one game.

Westbrook currently appears on SiriusXM NFL Radio, and he has worked with NBC Sports Network. He’s a class act all the way, and we wish him well in the next phase of his career.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -an-eagle/

August 28th, 2012, 3:58 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Westbrook retiring as an Eagle
PFT wrote:
Andy Reid on Brian Westbrook: “Never coached a player as smart”
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 29, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT

Brian Westbrook formally retired as an Eagle today, and Eagles coach Andy Reid remembered Westbrook more for his head than for his legs.

Reid said he “never coached a player as smart,” according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

The most famous of all of Westbrook’s heads-up plays came in a 2007 game against the Cowboys, when Westbrook took a handoff with the Eagles leading just before the two-minute warning, broke into the clear and then stopped just before reaching the goal line and kneeled at the 1-yard line. The Cowboys had no timeouts, so Westbrook’s play allowed the Eagles to simply kneel three times after the two-minute warning to run out the clock.

Reid credited Westbrook’s parents for his smarts, and Westbrook’s father talked at his son’s retirement ceremony about the family’s emphasis on education.

For his part, Westbrook credited the Eagles, calling them, “the best organization in the NFL.” For several years, Westbrook was one of their best players. And their smartest player.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-coached/
I remember that play, it was one of the most heads-up plays I've ever seen.

He was one of the really good ones, not sure if he's a HOFer, but damn good nonetheless.

Good luck on the next phase of your life, Brian

August 29th, 2012, 3:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Westbrook retiring as an Eagle
Sad part about that is had the eagles won the Superbowl that year, hed almost def make the HOF because (at least IMO) he was the Heart & Soul of those Eagles teams and an amazing RB.

August 29th, 2012, 4:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]