View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 4:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Republican senator targets NFL’s non-profit status 
Modmin Dude

Post Republican senator targets NFL’s non-profit status
PFT wrote:
Republican senator targets NFL’s non-profit status
Posted by Mike Florio on October 18, 2012, 9:18 AM EDT
Senate Republicans Speak To Press After Weekly Policy Meeting Getty Images

Plenty of NFL owners are Republicans. And so they may be feeling more than a little betrayed by the fact that a Republican senator is openly complaining about the tax-exempt status of the league office.

Tom Coburn, who represents Oklahoma, included in his “Wastebook 2012″ reference to the NFL’s non-profit characterization as one of 100 examples in which the government is getting a raw deal.

The league’s tax-exempt status became a talking point during the 2011 lockout, with NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith repeatedly chiding the league regarding a label more commonly associated with charities. The league’s position was, and is, that all money flows through the league office to the teams, and the teams pay the taxes. That’s what NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told CNN.com in response to Coburn’s contentions.

Here’s the reality. The NFL fits within the current legal definition of a non-profit business association. If the IRS disagrees, then the issue should be litigated. And if Congress thinks that the government is getting screwed by the definition of a non-profit business association, Congress should pass a new law.

The ultimate question is whether and to what extent the owners ultimately would pay more money if the league office wasn’t exempt from taxes. Presumably, it would be more expensive for the league; otherwise, the league wouldn’t do it. But without knowing the specific additional dollars and cents that Uncle Sam would realize by closing the eye of the needle through which the fat cats are fitting, it’s hard to gauge how big of a deal this could be for the league.

Either way, the Republicans who own NFL teams may want to remind guys like Senator Coburn that the first thing to go if the cost of doing business increases will be political contributions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... it-status/
So the league is non-profit? :confused: And the bolded part is why its likely that nothing will happen ](*,)

October 18th, 2012, 10:00 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Republican senator targets NFL’s non-profit status
TheRealWags wrote:
And the bolded part is why its likely that nothing will happen

Actually this is why Wags!

Quote:
Here’s the reality. The NFL fits within the current legal definition of a non-profit business association.

October 18th, 2012, 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
And the bolded part is why its likely that nothing will happen
Actually this is why Wags!
Quote:
Here’s the reality. The NFL fits within the current legal definition of a non-profit business association.
And that is because of the bolded part. Those donors help to define what a non-profit business association is

October 18th, 2012, 10:46 am
RIP Killer

Honestly, I don't think it matters much - this is a question of who pays the taxes. The league office brings in enough to cover their expenses thus would show no income regardless and wouldn't pay taxes. The "profit" occurs at the individual team level, that is the level in which taxes would be paid.

October 18th, 2012, 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
Honestly, I don't think it matters much - this is a question of who pays the taxes. The league office brings in enough to cover their expenses thus would show no income regardless and wouldn't pay taxes. The "profit" occurs at the individual team level, that is the level in which taxes would be paid.
While that might be the way its supposed to work, I think we both know it doesn't. As we've discussed plenty of times, the tax code needs to be rewritten and this is yet another example of that IMO.

October 18th, 2012, 11:07 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:

While that might be the way its supposed to work, I think we both know it doesn't. As we've discussed plenty of times, the tax code needs to be rewritten and this is yet another example of that IMO.

No argument here. That is why I'm all about as simple of a tax code as possible - straight flat tax and/or national sales tax. No exemptions...

October 18th, 2012, 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:
The league’s tax-exempt status became a talking point during the 2011 lockout, with NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith repeatedly chiding the league regarding a label more commonly associated with charities. The league’s position was, and is, that all money flows through the league office to the teams, and the teams pay the taxes. That’s what NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told CNN.com in response to Coburn’s contentions.

Actually, every penny taken in from player fines is directly donated to charities. The league office might actually donate MORE than most charities do, so that might be another reason it is able to remain in that position.

October 19th, 2012, 2:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]