View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 2nd, 2014, 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Scott Pioli no longer GM of Chiefs 
Post Scott Pioli no longer GM of Chiefs
Quote:
Scott Pioli no longer GM of Chiefs

KANSAS CITY, Mo., Jan. 4 (UPI) -- General Manager Scott Pioli is leaving the Kansas City Chiefs, the team announced Friday.

Pioli, who had been general manager since January 2009, and the Chiefs mutually agreed to part ways, the team said in a release.

The move comes four days after Kansas City Coach Romeo Crennel was fired and five days after the Chiefs finished a 2-14 season.

Observers said Pioli's departure could be part of the team's actions toward hiring former Philadelphia Eagles Coach Andy Reid. There have been reports that Reid, also fired Monday, was close to agreeing to become the Kansas City head coach.

Chiefs Chairman Clark Hunt issued a statement thanking Pioli and saying he had been "an invaluable member of the Chiefs' family ..."

Pioli's tenure included an AFC West title with a 10-6 Kansas City record in 2010 but the team is 9-23 in the two seasons since.

"The bottom line is that I did not accomplish all of what I set out to do," Pioli said in a statement. "To the Hunt family -- to the great fans of the Kansas City Chiefs -- to the players, all employees and alumni, I truly apologize for not getting the job done."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2013/01/ ... z2H1ybGqzB

1) "To the Hunt family -- to the great fans of the Kansas City Chiefs -- to the players, all employees and alumni, I truly apologize for not getting the job done." <--- That's how a real man leaves a position.

2) Yes, please! Can we sign him Mr. Ford, can we? Hunh? Hunh? Hunh? Can we? Pretty please!?!?!?

It'd be so nice to finally have some competent management. Also, it'd be nice to see if a competent manager could reel in someone like Schwartz, or if Schwartz would have to go too? If nothing else, it couldn't get anything but better.

January 4th, 2013, 2:00 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: Scott Pioli no longer GM of Chiefs
Am I to understand that you want to bring in the man who screwed this organization out of some draft picks with what I understand to be a trumped up story about us contacting a player under contract or something. MY facts could be wrong, and probably are because I don't spend much time tracking the stuff down, but it seems to me there was bad blood. Now to bring him here, and put him in charge of the staff he shafted, I can't see that going well.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

January 4th, 2013, 6:01 pm
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Am I to understand that you want to bring in the man who screwed this organization out of some draft picks with what I understand to be a trumped up story about us contacting a player under contract or something. MY facts could be wrong, and probably are because I don't spend much time tracking the stuff down, but it seems to me there was bad blood. Now to bring him here, and put him in charge of the staff he shafted, I can't see that going well.

Who cares? If he was able to work the system in a manner that screwed another team, so be it, and if that team happened to be us, get over it. You make the move if it's good for the organization, period.

January 4th, 2013, 6:10 pm
RIP Killer

Let's see he has a pencent for drafting DL at the top of the draft (Tyson Jackson, Dontari Poe) last year his first pick was Jon Baldwin who hurt himself in the preseason in a locker room fight with Thomas Jones. He didn't catch a pass until week 7. In total, 254 yards receiving and one TD. This year, he upped it to 325 yards and one more TD.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

January 4th, 2013, 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
Let's see he has a pencent for drafting DL at the top of the draft (Tyson Jackson, Dontari Poe) last year his first pick was Jon Baldwin who hurt himself in the preseason in a locker room fight with Thomas Jones. He didn't catch a pass until week 7. In total, 254 yards receiving and one TD. This year, he upped it to 325 yards and one more TD.

I'd swap em rosters right now.

January 4th, 2013, 6:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'd love to see a new GM (Mayhew has never wowed me), but Pioli doesn't get me excited. I think he's getting a bad rap and the Chiefs are probably going to regret given Reid total autonomy. There haven't been many great coaches and that includes former Super Bowl champs that have worn both hats and succeeded. As far as Mayhew goes he learned under Millen end of story. But if they went a new route I'm kind of leaning towards snagging Will Lewis from Seattle.

January 4th, 2013, 7:49 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
I'd love to see a new GM (Mayhew has never wowed me), but Pioli doesn't get me excited. I think he's getting a bad rap and the Chiefs are probably going to regret given Reid total autonomy. There haven't been many great coaches and that includes former Super Bowl champs that have worn both hats and succeeded. As far as Mayhew goes he learned under Millen end of story. But if they went a new route I'm kind of leaning towards snagging Will Lewis from Seattle.

I'm not ecstatic about Pioli, but I think he carries enough provenance to allow Ford to give Mayhew the ax for an established, proven, SB winning GM, and I DO think he's an upgrade. IMO the Chiefs are much closer to the SF 49ers than they are to the Detroit Lions, and I do think we deserve to be the benchmark for the bottom of the barrel. I think the Browns are currently in better shape than we are. This team is literally in shambles.

I don't know much about Will Lewis, but at this point I'd take anyone with experience and a track record.

January 4th, 2013, 7:57 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

We have a franchise QB. They don't.

January 7th, 2013, 2:29 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

I also don't see any in the draft or FA. I wouldn't swap rosters either.

January 7th, 2013, 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

They're better than us virtually EVERYWHERE else, and Matt Staffod is hardly a proven commodity and he's paid line one of the top 5 Qbs in the NFL. If you want to say that's a good thing, so be it.

January 7th, 2013, 3:04 pm
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

I also don't see any in the draft or FA. I wouldn't swap rosters either.
IMO they'll try to get Alex Smith from SF....

January 7th, 2013, 3:12 pm
With the recent success of all of the rookies in the playoffs this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they draft one. There's some good mid-range talent at Qb in this draft, just no glaring "Franchise Qb." That said, KC is set up sort of like Pitt when they took Big Ben. Good OL, good RB, good WRs, they just need a smart, ball control Qb to move the offense.

I'll go on record for sure after FA and the draft, but I won't be surprised if KC has a better record than the Lions next year.

January 7th, 2013, 7:12 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

WTF has Pioli done?

Over pay for one-year wonder QBs? Reach for players in the draft? Bring in his buddies from NE?

He had one decent year in an otherwise weak division.

He gets too much credit for NE's success, which he likely had very little part of, seeing as how they really haven't missed him since he's been gone.

January 8th, 2013, 9:10 pm
Blueskies wrote:
WTF has Pioli done?

Over pay for one-year wonder QBs? Reach for players in the draft? Bring in his buddies from NE?

He had one decent year in an otherwise weak division.

He gets too much credit for NE's success, which he likely had very little part of, seeing as how they really haven't missed him since he's been gone.

Regardless, it's tough to argue that KC isn't in a better position than we are in.

January 8th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I disagree.

KC has no standout players. They have a bunch of average-to-bad players. Their average player might be better than the average Lions player, but the Lions still have a few super star pieces in Stafford, Johnson and Suh -- pieces that can be built around.

If KC has a better year, it'll be because Oakland and the Chargers will very likely be two of the worst teams in the league.

January 8th, 2013, 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next