View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 9:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Predictions for Other Teams 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Predictions for Other Teams
To kind of provide an inverse for the topic on the main forum. Here are mine:

Peyton Manning is done. Despite his high football IQ, age and recovering from the injury are going to finally catch up to him. He will have a mediocre year, Denver will disappoint, and then he will retire for good.

Seahawks and Panthers will surprise to the upside.

The Jets will have a decent season even though they're the popular team to hate on.

The 49ers will take a big step back.

August 22nd, 2012, 9:26 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Predictions for Other Teams
Jim Miller thinks that it will be Green Bay that takes a step back with Detroit and Chicago battling for the division this year.

I don't know if I agree with him. But, I think it is very possible that the 3 teams make the playoffs from the NFC North this year. NFC East the best division in the NFL MY BUTT!!!!!!!! LOL.

August 22nd, 2012, 11:20 pm
RIP Killer

OK:

I think the Giants miss the playoffs

I think the Eagles will do better than some think, but not as good as they think.

The Jets will struggle, mostly because they have issues on offense.

San Francisco, I think, will be very good.

I think Chicago will be better than some Lions fans think, but neither the Lions nor Bears will be in the running for the division crown.

Nick Perry will win the DROY award for the Packers.

Panthers will be good, but Redskins struggle and RG3 won't be the second coming of Cam Newton.

I wouldn't be surprised if some team trades with the Redskins for Kirk Cousins.

Denver won't do as well as what some think. I agree, Peyton Manning will throw his last NFL pass sometime this season.

August 23rd, 2012, 9:50 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Teams I think won't live up to the hype they're currently receiving:
-Packers (injuries, RB issues, Philbin leaving)
-Eagles (injury potential, DC is still way out of his depth, inconsistencies)
-Broncos (for the reasons others have listed above)
-49ers (Won't be surprising teams like they did last year, people will 'figure out' the mediocre Alex Smith)

Could go either way:
-Bears (Definitely more offensive firepower, but I don't think having a good season is the simple mathematical equation Bears fans are presenting it as -- Marshall + Jeffries + Bush - Martz = Super Bowl)
-Seahawks (Lots of talent, remains to be seen if they can put it all together)

Coach-gets-fired bad:
-Jets (Offense is godawful)
-Cardinals

August 23rd, 2012, 5:47 pm

Giants are always horrendous after winning a super bowl, but this year, the NFC East is weak.

Philly is still hyped, but they lack consistency.

Cowboys have talent, but it's a coaching issue, so they'll continue to struggle.

Redskins are breaking in a rookie QB, but have weapons around him and their defense is solid.

Denver won the division with defense and Tebow at QB. I know Manning is having issues throwing to his right, but you won't see teams shift like you do in baseball, so it won't matter much.

Kansas City is poised to win the AFC West. Raiders are the Raiders and SD won't win with Norv.

Seattle has a chance to win the NFC West if they don't beat themselves.

49ers got the best they could out of Alex Smith last year. It's not going to happen again. They'll struggle this year.

Jets struggle to get to .500 this season. No offensive weapons (Cromartie wasn't joking when he said he was the 2nd best receiver on the team) and 2 of the other 3 teams in their division are better overall teams then them. Their defense will keep them in games, but Sanchez isn't a finisher.

Carolina will improve, but so did every other team in that division.

NO will take a step back with the coaching changes going on throughout the season, but they'll still be in contention for that division.

Detroit CAN beat the Packers if the DL stays healthy. They've had the gameplan to beat them, but injuries have killed them. As long as key players aren't hurt, the division is up for grabs.

Arizona will get the #1 pick in the draft, but Cleveland will push hard for it.

August 23rd, 2012, 9:36 pm
Hall of Fame Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Teams I think won't live up to the hype they're currently receiving:
-Packers (injuries, RB issues, Philbin leaving)
-Eagles (injury potential, DC is still way out of his depth, inconsistencies)
-Broncos (for the reasons others have listed above)
-49ers (Won't be surprising teams like they did last year, people will 'figure out' the mediocre Alex Smith)

Could go either way:
-Bears (Definitely more offensive firepower, but I don't think having a good season is the simple mathematical equation Bears fans are presenting it as -- Marshall + Jeffries + Bush - Martz = Super Bowl)
-Seahawks (Lots of talent, remains to be seen if they can put it all together)

Coach-gets-fired bad:
-Jets (Offense is godawful)
-Cardinals

I don't see Seattle winning anything as long as Pete Carrol is the HC. He was two times a looser before he got this chance in the NFL. And all he has done since coming back is trade away some good players for chump change and then trade for 1 QB that will never start a game for him. Then he has signed a FA QB to starter money and it looks like HE will NEVER start a game for the Seahawks. He's a great College HC. This NFL thing? Not so much.

August 23rd, 2012, 9:41 pm

BillySims wrote:

I don't see Seattle winning anything as long as Pete Carrol is the HC. He was two times a looser before he got this chance in the NFL. And all he has done since coming back is trade away some good players for chump change and then trade for 1 QB that will never start a game for him. Then he has signed a FA QB to starter money and it looks like HE will NEVER start a game for the Seahawks. He's a great College HC. This NFL thing? Not so much.

Two times a looser? (I assume you mean loser lol ) He was a long time defensive coordinator and successful at that, before becoming a head coach. With the Jets, he started 6-5 before the Marino fake stop clock play and they fell apart. The Owner was 80 and wanted results quick. He replaced Parcells in NE and won the division his first year, lost in wildcard following and barely missed playoffs the 3rd, and then was replaced by Belichick. Kraft said he wouldn't have fired him if he couldn't steal Belichick away from the Jets. Then he built a powerhouse in the NCAA, so not sure where you're thinking his NFL experience has been terrible. There's better coaches out there that started with much worse records.

August 23rd, 2012, 10:05 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

AFC West: SD/KC/DEN/OAK - this division is the hardest to predict. I think SD despite all the injuries made enough moves for players in supportive roles to win the division. KC to me looks like an average team if they can keep Cassel healthy. DEN I believe has made a colossal mistake with the investment in Manning, I dont think Manning will be very effective but this team maintains a strong defense and has a good coach. They will be an average team. OAK to me is a boom or bust team, if McFadden stays healthy and Heyward Bey and Moore can play at the same time than this team has some weapons for Carson Palmer to play with. I feel like they will either win the division or bomb miserably depending on health and a lack of depth.

AFC East: NE/BUF/MIA/NYJ - I think Rex Ryan has worn out his welcome and the Jets have a defense on the decline with a good corners but without much of a passrush and vulnerable bc of weak safeties. Offensively I never believed in Sanchez but they also have not given him any respectable weapons other than a decent receiving TE. I just dont see the defense being good enough to help out what should be a meager offense. They may have to use wildcat packages quite a bit. I guess they could be like DEN in 2011 but with less of a passrush. NE still has Brady and they reinvented there passing game again last season, now they need to figure out how to use there runners, I dont see anyone in this division touching them. Miami could have a rough go if they are breaking in the rookie so its between them and the jets for last. Buffalo has built an impressive DL but Im not convinced that Fitzpatrick/F. Jackson/S. Johnson is enough to get them into the playoffs but they should be better than MIA and NYJ this year.

AFC South: HOU/IND/TEN/JAX - Jacksonville doesnt seem to have much going for it but Justin Blackmon hopefully can do enough to make Blaine Gabbert flash what talent he may or may not have. If they get MJD back that would make a difference. Indy looks like they ve surrounded Luck with some reasonable talent but its probably to many young guys all at once. The defense is better than it showed last season and Mathis and Freeney can do some damage still provided the offense can string together some drives. Tennessee confuses me some, I think Locker can be a good player but it ll take him some time. The key to there team is if Chris Johnson can return to form. The defense should be around average. Houston I imagine is the overwhelming favorite for the division and gets there starting QB back.

AFC North: CIN/BAL/PIT/CLE - Cleveland lacks the offensive weapons needed to compete in todays NFL. Trent Richardson is a great start but not healthy, the CLE defense can actually get the job done but they are breaking in a QB without legit receivers and behind a line that has 2 stars and 3 guys who dont belong. BAL gets it done with a strong run game and has improved the targets for Flacco. The defensive passrush stands to take a hit without Suggs. Pittsburgh I think starts to fade this year as they break in some rookie lineman that havent been good so far. They will struggle to run the ball and they are already asking Roethlisberger to do too much for them. Cincinnatti could be subject to the sophomore jinks but they have some underrated players on defense and dalton/green/gresham should be better than a year ago.

NFC East - NYG/PHI/DAL/WAS - RG3 is a great pick but what else is there? Him, Pierre Garcon and Brian Orakpo arent enough to make noise in this division. Dallas has made some big signings but they have a weak OL an injured runner and a choke artist at QB with his top receivers dinged up. They will get better as the season progresses but it could be too little too late. The Giants are tough and Im not buying any argument that says they wont be in the playoffs. They still have greatpassrushers, a decent OL, a big game QB and one of the best WR tandems around. They ve also probably upgraded there running game with David WIlson and a healthy Ahmad Bradshaw. Philadelphia has as much talent as any team around but they have a daredevil at QB without a good backup. LeSean McCoy is possibly the ultimate weapon in the game today. they do have a big injury at LT that could be big in the run game. Im not sure what was wrong with there defense last season but the personnel wasnt really the problem. They should be better.

NFC North - GB/DET/CHI/MIN - Green Bay had an outstanding draft, in my opinion landing two impact defenders in the front 7. The secondary is a little wounded and aging but came away with big turnovers all season. They have no running game but an amazingly deep group of receivers/TE and the best Qb around. I always think there OL is vulnerable but they are a group of blue collars guys that are better in real life than on paper. I could see the Lions surpassing them at some point but the Lions shot at improvement depends on health and the further development of Matthew Stafford and youngsters Titus Young/Ryan Broyles. This offense has a great punch with Stafford/Megatron but as an offense they would be more dangerous if there was a credible ground game and secondary receivers that were a lil more consistent. The Viking's best player is coming off major surgery, he ll eventually be fine but not sure he ll be himself this season. This is added stress on a young QB who doesnt seem to really be the gunslinging type and needs some coddling to develop. The defense has some pieces but not really as much in the secondary where they seem to have reached for young guys that the rest of the division will go after. The DL remains strong and is the best part of the team. Chicago may have done enough to keep ahead of the Lions that is if it were 2011. Michael Bush and Jason Campbell would have no doubt done enough to keep the Bears ahead of the Lions a year ago. Brandon Marshall makes Jay Cutler quite a bit better but the OL still stinks and the defense cant be great forever. Regardless this is still a tough team that can do some damage if DET or GB have to face any adversity.

NFC South - ATL/NO/CAR/TB - Tampa Bay spent a lot of money on FA this offseason and that should help Josh Freeman on offense but some of the additions werent necessarily as good as they got paid. Im not sure the defense has improved enough to stop the big run games that this division has. Carolina had a good offense last season behind Cam Newton but Newton s next step in development is to do more from the pocket and less with his legs. For example, he shouldnt be the goalline runner on a team with 2 30million dollar backs. Newton didnt finish the 2011 season very strong which could be a sign of team s catching on to his tendencies. If so he ll need to adjust but this team had one of worst defenses in the league last year with many players that probably didnt belong in the league. They are better back there w players like Luke Kuechly being the major additions. Special teams with Nick Harris and Olindo Mare also stands to be upgraded. Its a promising exciting team but not an above average one - yet. New Orleans has a weak defense but one of the best constructed offenses in league history. They are the blueprint for what an NFL offense should be. An outstanding OL that can protect and create running room, multiple runners all with unique abilities, the league s best receiving Tight End, a variety of shapes sizes and speeds at WR and a great QB. Take one part away and they ll kill you with another. The only thing that can stop them really is self destruction and that may have happened with the Bounty Scandal. We ll see but I think they are still a playoff team if not division winners. Atlanta needs to take advantage and surpass the Saints or else it will never happen. The top two receivers are outstanding and the QB doesnt make a lot of mistakes but does he have the personality to go for the throat or the ability to win a big game? I think he does but this defense will still have to find a way to hold the Saints in check.

NFC West

SF/SEA/ARI/STL

The Cardinals had a great finish to last season but they still seem to be favoring the wrong guy at QB and it doesnt matter who they start bc the right guy isnt on the roster. The next in line plans for Kurt Warner havent worked and they dont have many other threats besides the mighty Fitzgerald. Still the defense and power run game keeps them out of the basement. Sam Bradford should be in a do or die year but they havent given him anything to work with on offense and Steven Jackson can only do so much in a passing league. Especially when his team that has some holes on defense. Seattle is building a strong defense with a small hidden revolution at the CB positiion by developing some big coverage players to avoid secondary mismatches. The QB spot remains unsettled and as much as I like Russel Wilson he will have some growing pains without a top flight receiving crew in his rookie season. SF has built a great D and has gone all out to see how far Alex Smith will carry them but Smith doesnt seem like the type of QB to keep all the mouths happy. Moss/Crabtree/V. Davis and multitalented runners Gore/James/Jacobs/Hunter makes it seem like they are trying to keep teams guessing like the Saints do but without the right QB I dont think it becomes an explosive offense just yet.

Wildcards NFC: DET / NO
Wildcards AFC: BAL/BUF
NFC championship : GB over NYG
AFC championship : NE over HOU
SuperBowl : NE over GB

btw - the only reason i did this is so i can look back after the season and see how ridiculously difficult it is to project an entire NFL season. there are just too many injuries, breakouts and disappointments each season.

August 23rd, 2012, 10:38 pm
Varsity Captain

Oh nice, I love threads like these. So much to read and ponder!
========================================================

AFC EAST

Patriots are going to win the East, easily. Brandon Lloyd is going to have hot streaks, and put up even more highlight worthy catches. Seriously, youtube this guy. He makes the most amazing catches day in and day out. Here's a link, and when you are done watching that amazing first catch, skip ahead to 1:34 to see one of the most amazing catches I've ever seen in the NFL, yet it's hardly ever shown. http://youtu.be/Q31BRc3RgyE

Jets will be 2nd, and although I think they are going to surprise a lot of people this year, I think they will choke games later in the year, and everyone will be asking for Tebow to save them. At first he will, then he'll fail, and NYJ will be a mess.

The Bills are all the hype, but they really lack super power on offense. The Amish rifle (Fitzpatrick) isn't as good as everyone thinks he is. Their defense is slightly improved.

The Dolphins will be a top 5 team.... in the 2013 draft. :) Reggie Bush is in a contract year, and should open eyes... will he be traded?

AFC NORTH

Ravens take the division almost as easy as the Patriots did. Ray Rice will be the 2nd best RB in fantasy. Torrey Smith is going to make waves in the NFL this season.

Bengals take a step back and will miss the playoffs with their one-dimensional offense, and lack of discipline on defense. Andy Dalton regresses.

Browns surprise a lot of teams this year to finish 7-9 or 8-8. Their defense carries them for most of those wins, and becomes a top 10 defense.

The Steelers become the biggest letdown of the year. Roethlisberger can't stay upright to save his life, and will not finish the season healthy. Mendenhall never comes back to form. Redman won't help the team. Dwyer becomes "the guy". Wallace will be traded. The defense gets too old and can't stop anybody. Steelers get a top 10 pick in the draft.

AFC SOUTH

Texans do well enough to win the division with a 2-headed rushing attack, and balls-out defensive play. Shaub doesn't get hurt all year, and starts in the playoffs for the first time ever. Foster loses a ton of carries to Tate as the season progresses.

The Titans become a surprise team and make the playoffs with Locker at QB.

Colts also do well but barely miss the playoffs at 9-7. Luck becomes NFL Rookie of the Year, and a top 15 QB. Fleener comes on strong as the season progresses. Wayne gets back to form. They acquire Mike Wallace from the Steelers via trade.

Jags continue to struggle, but aren't as bad as last years team. Too many distractions and holes to fill to do any better than 6-10. Top 10 pick in draft.

AFC WEST

Chiefs stun the league and win the division. Everyone does their part, Bowe plays like a beast.

Broncos get the 2nd spot, but miss the playoffs. Manning slowly gets back to form and his teammates slowly start to play the way he needs them to play. By the time they start clicking, it's too late.

Raiders get the third spot around 8-8. McFadden gets hurt, and penalties will cost the team some crucial games. Palmer looks good all season, just lacks help around him.

Chargers also go 8-8 to round out the leagues best division in football. Norv Turner is finally fired.

NFC EAST

Giants dominate and get top 5 on defense for the year. Eli has yet another great year that goes unrecognized. Bye week in the playoffs.

Eagles make the playoffs via wild card. Vick goes down a few times and Nick Foles becomes a hero in Philly. LeSean McCoy wins NFL MVP honors and becomes the #1 player in fantasy football (non-QBs). (That's my big prediction).

Cowboys go 8-8. Romo does well against teams without a pass rush, but horrid when being chased. He will have super stats one week, and horrid ones the next. Murray becomes a top 10 back.

Redskins falter and become a bottom 10 team. Griffin gets hurt or loses his confidence in the middle of the season after a promising start. The coach is nearly fired.

NFC NORTH

Bears surprise everyone and win the division. Marshall becomes super-hero-like. Forte and Bush dominate on the ground. The defense becomes a top 5 defense. The Bears put up the best record in the NFC.

The Lions make the playoffs because Chicago rests their starts in week 17. Calvin is again the #1 WR in the NFL with similar starts from last season. The secondary won't be as bad as everyone thinks, but still in the bottom half.

Packers miss the playoffs due to poor line play, and invisible defense. Rodgers routinely misses throws because of pressure. He gets injured towards the end of the year, everyone panics. Their playoff chances are ruined in week 16, when the Titans beat them.

Vikings become a bottom 5 team. AP never returns to form and becomes an after-thought. Harvin isn't traded during the season, but is the following season.

NFC SOUTH

Saints win the division on great offense and good-enough defense. Graham gets close to the TE touchdown record set last year, but doesn't break it. Sproles is super-human.

Falcons have yet another OK season. Only Julio Jones improves. Turner loses his starting job to Snelling and Rodgers.

The Panthers do exactly what they did last year on offense, and improve on defense. Cam again looks great, but gets tweaked enough to miss time during games. LaFell does as good as Steve Smith.

Bucs become a top 10 pick.

NFC WEST

49ers win the division at 11-5. Alex Smith improves and takes more chances on offense. Frank Gore declines but never loses the starting job. Kendall Hunter becomes a beast. The defense takes a big step back in the secondary, but still good enough to be top 5.

Seahawks do well with Russell Wilson at the helm. Tavaris Jackson is released or traded. Lynch regresses a tad, while Turbin looks like a monster all year long. The Seahawks also finish 11-5, but lose the tie-breaker.

Rams become a bottom 10 team. Bradford is released following the season.

Cardinals become the worst team in football. Injuries to Skelton and Kolb force them to get a third or 4th qb into games. Jokes are made all year about how terrible this team is.

August 25th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Varsity Captain

I didn't do bad at all with my predictions. Not at all.

I nailed most of it, and totally crashed and burned the rest of it, lol.

January 21st, 2013, 11:49 am

I got Seattle. The rest? :lol

January 21st, 2013, 1:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

49ers wrote:
Cardinals become the worst team in football. Injuries to Skelton and Kolb force them to get a third or 4th qb into games. Jokes are made all year about how terrible this team is.

49ers wrote:
I didn't do bad at all with my predictions. Not at all.

I nailed most of it, and totally crashed and burned the rest of it, lol.

Overall you did pretty good. The Cardinals call was excellent, but painful considering the 38-10 drubbing we got.

January 21st, 2013, 2:55 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]