View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 1:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 John Abraham... 
Post John Abraham...
had 10 sacks last year, is 34, and was released to save $4.25 million in salary. I wonder what it would cost to bring him in for 1-2 years.

http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2013/03/0 ... ith-lions/

March 1st, 2013, 11:54 am
Heisman Winner

Post Re: John Abraham...
I don't think that teams will be lining up for him. If his 4.25 mill don't all count towards the cap, I'd put in a waiver claim for him and see what comes of it.

They also released Dunta Robinson. That's good news even if we don't sign him, the CB market is gettting filled with a lot of talent, which puts us at a better bargaining position for Houston's new contract.

March 1st, 2013, 12:01 pm
John Abraham's contract is as follows:

Year----------Salary--------S. Bonus----Mis. Bonus (roster bonus)----------------------Total Cap Hit
2013-------$4,250,000----$750,000----$2,156,000----------------------------------------$7,156,000
2014-------$3,250,000----$750,000----$2,156,000----------------------------------------$6,156,000

His $2.156 bonus is a roster bonus, most likely due March 13th. If we pick him up on a waiver claim we will be responsible for his base salary and his roster bonus, but not his signing bonus. So, take his total cap hit and deduct $750k per year and that's what we can get him for. Meaning, we would get him for $6.5 in 2013. IMO that's a bargain, and he'll likely get more on the open market.

If we are at all looking for a FA DE, we should put in a waiver wire claim for him. This allows Cliff to walk and effectively saves us $4 million over what we paid Cliff in 2012, with virtually no drop off in talent (though Abraham is older). We could dump him in 2014 for absolutely no cost to us, but unless his production drops off a ton, $5.5 mill would be a bargain for his services... It would be like knocking 4 years off of KVB, and cutting his salary in 1/2. When you look at guys like Campbell getting $10+ mill per, and Avril commanding around the same, this is a no-brainer to me...

March 1st, 2013, 12:11 pm
Heisman Winner

Yeah, it makes sense. The only knock on him is his age, but his last year's numbers are more than solid. I'm pretty sure a big name like his would sell some tickets too, I'd put in a claim.

March 1st, 2013, 12:20 pm
Team MVP

He won't be subjected to waivers. From the day after the Super Bowl until the trade deadline, if a vet with 4 or more years experience is released, he will immediately become a free agent. Between the trade deadline in October and the Super Bowl, every player will be subjected to waivers, and any player with under 4 years experience will always be on waivers.

March 1st, 2013, 1:01 pm
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
He won't be subjected to waivers. From the day after the Super Bowl until the trade deadline, if a vet with 4 or more years experience is released, he will immediately become a free agent. Between the trade deadline in October and the Super Bowl, every player will be subjected to waivers, and any player with under 4 years experience will always be on waivers.

Thanks ILF

Well damn, that sucks... He'll probably command more money (more in the $7.5-$10 range) in the open market. I don't think we'll be able to afford him. That said, I'd still make him an offer.

March 1st, 2013, 1:09 pm
#1 Overall Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Thanks ILF

Well damn, that sucks... He'll probably command more money (more in the $7.5-$10 range) in the open market. I don't think we'll be able to afford him. That said, I'd still make him an offer.

I don't think he'll command so much money at his age. If he was going to get that kind of money I think ATL would have just kept him. They only got 4 sacks from Biermann and nothing from any other DE except Abraham. He had some injuries last year and at his age no one is going to drop that much money with Avril, Bennett, and Johnson out on the market. His top money will probably be $7.5M not his minimum.

March 1st, 2013, 2:15 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Thanks ILF

I don't think he'll command so much money at his age. If he was going to get that kind of money I think ATL would have just kept him. They only got 4 sacks from Biermann and nothing from any other DE except Abraham. He had some injuries last year and at his age no one is going to drop that much money with Avril, Bennett, and Johnson out on the market. His top money will probably be $7.5M not his minimum.

IMO it depends on the deal. If it's a one year deal I can see a team reaching to the $8.5-10 range. It's pretty low-risk, and at least a fairly well known reward. That said, I think he's going to want a 2-3 year deal, and it may be more beneficial to the team signing him anyhow, even if they plan on cutting him next year. It just gives them the opportunity to spread a SB out over a couple of years, even if they have to eat it later. That's what we did with Backus.

March 1st, 2013, 2:22 pm
#1 Overall Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Thanks ILF

IMO it depends on the deal. If it's a one year deal I can see a team reaching to the $8.5-10 range. It's pretty low-risk, and at least a fairly well known reward. That said, I think he's going to want a 2-3 year deal, and it may be more beneficial to the team signing him anyhow, even if they plan on cutting him next year. It just gives them the opportunity to spread a SB out over a couple of years, even if they have to eat it later. That's what we did with Backus.

The way I see it is no one will sign him early in free agency and by the time he gets his contract there won't be a lot of money out there. You got 3 young DE out on the market, Freeney, and Osi all out there along with Abraham. He has a production edge on the other two vets, but Osi is only 31 and Freeney was playing out of position last season. I see teams going that route before Abraham if he's asking for $8M-$10M. Also you got a deep DE draft this year. I don't see a team going after him as a first option and that's going to drop his price.

March 1st, 2013, 3:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]