View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 3:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 49ers and Falcons lead the pack in trade for Revis 
Post 49ers and Falcons lead the pack in trade for Revis
The rich keep getting richer...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Quote:
According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, two or three "legitimate buyers" are preparing to make a run at acquiring cornerback Darrelle Revis from the New York Jets when the new league year begins at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 12.

“He’s gone,” a source familiar with the situation said Tuesday. “This is happening. They’re moving him. They can’t keep him. They’re rebuilding. They’re starting fresh."

Two potential suitors have been identified as the San Francisco 49ers and Atlanta Falcons, who most recently squared off in the NFC championship game.

If the Jets are rebuilding, the team they would most likely prefer to do business with the 49ers. Through multiple trades during last year's draft, the 49ers officially have 14 picks in the 2013 NFL draft, including two selections in the third round (their own plus the Carolina Panthers' pick, No. 74 overall) and the fifth round (their own plus the Miami Dolphins' selection). The 49ers are expected to add a 15th pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the No. 34 pick overall, when they ship backup quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs when trades are allowed on March 12.
The 49ers are currently pressed up against the salary cap, but will gain considerable cap space when they move Smith, release a few veterans (David Akers and Parys Haralson are two candidates for release) and restructure a contract or two before the new league year begins. That should free up enough cash and cap space to pay Revis, who is scheduled to earn $6 million in 2013, the final year of a four-year, $46 million contract he signed in 2010.

Included in that $6 million is a $1 million roster bonus, which is due on March 16. If the Jets are indeed rebuilding, they would probably prefer to move Revis before owing him that $1 million payment.
Revis is open to playing for the 49ers, which he discussed in an interview with "The Real Robinson Report", a site created by Seattle Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson.

The Falcons have their full allotment of draft choices and could create a package to acquire Revis to address their need at the cornerback position as Brent Grimes is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent and the team released veteran Dunta Robinson last week. Robinson was released as part of cost-cutting maneuvers that freed up considerable cash ($21.4 million) and cap room (over $17 million) for general manager Thomas Dimitroff to work with this offseason.

Dimitroff has shown a willingness to be bold - he packaged multiple picks, including two first-rounders, to move up in the 2011 NFL draft to select Julio Jones - and could use some of that capital he's built up in Atlanta to add an elite cornerback to bolster a defense that ranked 23rd against the pass in 2012.

March 6th, 2013, 2:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: 49ers and Falcons lead the pack in trade for Revis
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Quote:
According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, two or three "legitimate buyers" are preparing to make a run at acquiring cornerback Darrelle Revis from the New York Jets when the new league year begins at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 12.

“He’s gone,” a source familiar with the situation said Tuesday. “This is happening. They’re moving him. They can’t keep him. They’re rebuilding. They’re starting fresh."

Two potential suitors have been identified as the San Francisco 49ers and Atlanta Falcons, who most recently squared off in the NFC championship game.

If the Jets are rebuilding, the team they would most likely prefer to do business with the 49ers. Through multiple trades during last year's draft, the 49ers officially have 14 picks in the 2013 NFL draft, including two selections in the third round (their own plus the Carolina Panthers' pick, No. 74 overall) and the fifth round (their own plus the Miami Dolphins' selection). The 49ers are expected to add a 15th pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the No. 34 pick overall, when they ship backup quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs when trades are allowed on March 12.
The 49ers are currently pressed up against the salary cap, but will gain considerable cap space when they move Smith, release a few veterans (David Akers and Parys Haralson are two candidates for release) and restructure a contract or two before the new league year begins. That should free up enough cash and cap space to pay Revis, who is scheduled to earn $6 million in 2013, the final year of a four-year, $46 million contract he signed in 2010.

Included in that $6 million is a $1 million roster bonus, which is due on March 16. If the Jets are indeed rebuilding, they would probably prefer to move Revis before owing him that $1 million payment.
Revis is open to playing for the 49ers, which he discussed in an interview with "The Real Robinson Report", a site created by Seattle Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson.

The Falcons have their full allotment of draft choices and could create a package to acquire Revis to address their need at the cornerback position as Brent Grimes is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent and the team released veteran Dunta Robinson last week. Robinson was released as part of cost-cutting maneuvers that freed up considerable cash ($21.4 million) and cap room (over $17 million) for general manager Thomas Dimitroff to work with this offseason.

Dimitroff has shown a willingness to be bold - he packaged multiple picks, including two first-rounders, to move up in the 2011 NFL draft to select Julio Jones - and could use some of that capital he's built up in Atlanta to add an elite cornerback to bolster a defense that ranked 23rd against the pass in 2012.

We were also mentioned in a report today.

March 6th, 2013, 3:09 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Quote:

We were also mentioned in a report today.

I don't see how we can be. The perfect fit for Revis is an established, contender, with talent or picks to give up for him. We meet none of that criteria. We don't have "unused," movable talent... We literally have no one that we would be willing to give up that the Jets would need. Last year someone like Corey Williams would have been good to sweeten a deal, along with a draft pick, but this year we have absolutely zero unused, moveable talent.

It wouldn't be "impossible" but it would be impractical and a move backward if we traded for Revis, unless we move Suh, and even that's going to cost us a ton of dead money. I wouldn't mind that move, but again, we would be giving up our "2 year lease" on Suh for a one year "lease" on Revis. We can't afford him long-term.

I think we could do better trading Suh for draft picks, but I do think we need to dump Suh.

March 6th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I can see the Falcons but I only see the 49ers if they are looking at him as a one season hired gun. The bulk of their money that are going to spend on defense in the future is going to be tied up in their LBs and if Kapernik has a good year he's going to be looking for a payday when his contract is up. I can't see any team that caves into his contract demands being legit perennial contenders. I'd much rather have two solid CBs making $6-8 million a year instead of one making $15-20 million.

March 6th, 2013, 4:14 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I think we could do better trading Suh for draft picks, but I do think we need to dump Suh.

Not to change subject, but I agree with this.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 6th, 2013, 5:55 pm
sweetd20 wrote:
I can see the Falcons but I only see the 49ers if they are looking at him as a one season hired gun. The bulk of their money that are going to spend on defense in the future is going to be tied up in their LBs and if Kapernik has a good year he's going to be looking for a payday when his contract is up. I can't see any team that caves into his contract demands being legit perennial contenders. I'd much rather have two solid CBs making $6-8 million a year instead of one making $15-20 million.

I see it as the 49ers adding a huge puzzle piece on the cheap for one more year and one more SB run.

Unless Kapernick has a huge sophomore slump, they should be better next year than last. I expect Crabtree, and Mario Manningham to both be better next year, with little to no drop off in V. Davis, F. Gore, and their OL play. Their offense is going to be amazing, and their D should be pretty top notch too.

$6 million is a bargain for Revis, and the 49ers have a chance to do something amazing with him on their squad.

March 6th, 2013, 6:37 pm
Varsity Captain

NFL.com is reporting Revis to the Pats for a 1, a 2 and a conditional 4th. Can anyone confirm this?

March 15th, 2013, 1:55 pm
Boz wrote:
NFL.com is reporting Revis to the Pats for a 1, a 2 and a conditional 4th. Can anyone confirm this?

That's a LOT to give up, IMO!

March 15th, 2013, 2:04 pm
Varsity Captain

I can't find any other word about. Prolly BS!

March 15th, 2013, 2:27 pm
RIP Killer

I don't see it. Belli gates paying bug money for FAs and he certainty isn't a fan of giving up draft picks.

March 15th, 2013, 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]