View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 1:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Redskins name change: DC council member proposes team change 
Post Re: Redskins name change: DC council member proposes team ch
DJ-B wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Shotty wrote:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1634935-dan-snyder-says-he-will-never-change-washington-redskins-controversial-name

I love the decision. The Redskins are... the Redskins. If you find it offensive, find a way to get over it.

=D> =D> =D>

Nobody expected him tos ay anything different. However if they lost the copyright protection it will cost them Millions upon Millions in merchandising issues, and legally they can still be forced to change. Not saying I want it to or not, but Snyders comment/opiniomn means nothing as we already knew how he/the team felt.

They would have to lose the trademark and the copyright for it to cost them "millions" in merchandizing. Further, I can't see the court over-turning anything related to either.

Do you have anything suggesting otherwise?

May 10th, 2013, 3:57 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

rao wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:
rao wrote:
I don't think Notre Dame is a valid comparison. The idea of Irish people as fighters has served as both a positive and negative stereotype throughout history.

I have to disagree somewhat. You are right that it can be viewed as a positive because it is a point of pride for some Irish. But if you were to look at it from a social justice standpoint the fighting becomes the main feature of the Irish community. It becomes the first and only impression an uneducated or ignorant person makes about that particular social group. Fighting can be perceived in a number of different ways. Perhaps it's simply a reference to boxing. However, to someone who is horribly PC, they might view the fighting stereotype to be a result of the drinking stereotype. We are all aware of the stereotype that says all Irish people are heavy drinkers (and in some cases have tempers as a result). I think if Irish people were black, more people would be up in arms about the label "Fighting Irish" because they would associate the two stereotypes and in that case, that would put a poor image on Irish people and as a result; hold them back from social resources or power. Being viewed as an angry drunk with a short temper paints someone as uneducated, uncivilized and possibly even primitive person. I guess that's what I was driving at.

The other issue with the comparison is that the "Fighting Irish" moniker requires you to already have preconceived notions about Irish people and a knowledge of their stereotypes to turn it into something negative. The Redskin name is said to be a racial slur, a word with no other meaning than to be a degrading way to refer to a specific group. I don't deny Notre Dame's nickname could be turned into a negative, but Notre Dame's history with Irish people and the fact that it already was used in a positive manner before they took it as their own make it something completely different from the Redskins issue.

I see what you're saying and feel like we are more or less on the same page.

May 11th, 2013, 1:42 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Im not expecting anything to happen. Was just saying his words are to be expected.

May 12th, 2013, 3:40 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3