View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Redskins name change: DC council member proposes team change 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Redskins name change: DC council member proposes team ch
Hey stop bringing up my Spartans. I hear there are a bunch of large land-dwelling species of the family Mustelidae that would prefer the team in AA be called the Gulo Gulo or the Skunk Bears! :)

June 27th, 2014, 8:43 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Redskins name change: DC council member proposes team ch
TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
What point?
I'm not going to take the time to post them here, but if you're interested, there are additional articles that can be found and

Some peeps seem to think this is just about the Washington football team and its name, its not. This is about the Native American community taking back a racial slur. Its no different to them than the N word is to the African American community. Would a team name Washington N****** be acceptable?

Look, I'm no expert in linguistics, Native American culture or the like, and don't claim to be, but those articles, as well as those from 1972, show me that there is enough concern and issue by the Native American community to take this issue seriously. Its really as simple as that. Instead of 'pooh-poohing' the issue, call on representatives all of Native American Tribes to come together for a discussion. Let them decide if these are acceptable terms or not.

Good post wags. It's no different. Also, what people need to remember about these articles from the 1970s was that being native was not cool. It was embarrassing because the government was still trying its damnedest to squash any sort of native rights. In the 70s, the government was burning birth and death records of native people like crazy, which is why it can be so hard to track native ancestors nowadays.

June 27th, 2014, 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6