View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Tony Dungy the Hypocrite 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Tony Dungy the Hypocrite
I think this pretty spot on:

http://www.businessinsider.com/tony-dun ... sam-2014-7

Quote:
Former NFL coach and current NBC analyst Tony Dungy told the Tampa Tribune that he wouldn't have drafted Michael Sam because he "wouldn't want to deal with all of it."
Sam became the first openly gay active NFL player when he was drafted in the seventh round by the St. Louis Rams in May.

Dungy told the Tampa Tribune:

"I wouldn’t have taken him. Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it."

"It’s not going to be totally smooth … things will happen."

The implication is that Dungy thinks Sam, and the media attention he'd draw, would be a distraction.

This stance contradicts Dungy's vocal support for Michael Vick playing in the NFL again after leaving prison in 2009. As a condition of Vick's reinstatement into the NFL, Dungy agreed to become his mentor.

In August of 2009, Dungy said he would sign Vick in an interview with NPR, telling the radio network, "I would take a chance on him."

From NPR:

"But Dungy, a former Super Bowl winner, knows that many NFL teams will have reservations about adding Vick to their rosters. 'I would be hesitant, too,' Dungy said, 'because it's going to bring a major distraction to your organization and you are going to have some people who won't forgive.'

"'So it's going to take a strong team who says, "You know what, we believe in this; we believe in second chances. We're going to try to help this young man, and we may lose a few fans."

"'... I think he's learned from this. So if I were there, I would. I would take a chance on him.'"

Dungy also wrote a blog post saying Vick deserved a chance to play again at the time, despite the public backlash against him:

"I think Michael deserves the chance to show people he has changed and learned from past mistakes, but my true hope is that he will make sound decisions about his future and, at the same time, let people know more about the person that I’ve come to know recently. I know the public will be skeptical, but I think, over time, people will find there’s a different side to him than what they’ve seen so far. And that’s really my goal, to help him let people see the other side of Michael Vick."

If Sam's sexual orientation qualifies as a distraction, so too would Vick's conviction.

When Vick signed with the Philadelphia Eagles in August of 2009, it was met with protests from animal advocates. It wasn't "totally smooth," yet Dungy was 100% behind the signing. He even sat next to Vick at his introductory press conference in Philadelphia.

July 21st, 2014, 2:24 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Tony Dungy the Hypocrite
oh wow! thats disapointing to see out of Dungy.

Having a rap sheet a mile long, with no signs thats its at an end? that guy needs a mentor...
Gay? Get that guy the hell outa here thats too much trouble...

SHAMEFUL!!!

July 21st, 2014, 3:53 pm
NFL Veteran

Michael Sam is no where near the athlete Vick is and I think that is a major consideration when your talking about Dungy's choice on whether he would take a chance or not. If things workout for Sam your expecting to get a solid player maybe a starter and with Vick the expectation was he would be a star player not just a starter. Also Vick proved he could win in the NFL where as Sam is still a total unknown. I don't see anything wrong with having a different stance on the two players. I personally would sign Sam before ever signing Vick, but I've always thought Vick was a poor QB and his injury history was to long to take a chance on.

July 21st, 2014, 10:23 pm
Fair Weather Fan

Could it be that the perspective from which you read or understood the article?

Sam brings a media circus with him because of his chosen lifestyle. The group that supports Sam's lifestyle will be in full support for their hero and that brings it's own issues. Think of how much media attention Des brings to Dallas with his antics, or Ocho brought with his, or even T. Owens for that matter. IF Sam starts his NFL career by creating the circus, which possibly improved his draft status, I can understand why Dungy wouldn't want to deal with it.

I imagine Vick was able to be mentored by Dungy in a more private one on one scenario, and I don't see that as being a "hypocritical" perspective. It's drama added to a player, coming into a team that could upset the balance by the very nature of the sensitive nature of his lifestyle. Throw that in a locker room with other fellas, the mixture is ripe for a scenario like Miami had with Incognito and bullying, which takes away from a team and adds to the headache of a coach. But that's my perspective....

July 24th, 2014, 1:20 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Having read what he said I think (as usual) the media twisted this to sound way worse than what it was, his honest opinion of the distraction the media circus could bring to a team. Its pretty obvious he want talking about Sams, sexual orientation being the issue.

July 24th, 2014, 2:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Quote:
I imagine Vick was able to be mentored by Dungy in a more private one on one scenario, and I don't see that as being a "hypocritical" perspective.

Saying you wouldn't take Sam because of the related media circus is fine.

Mentoring Vick is fine.

The hypocrisy comes when you say you would've taken a chance on Vick post-dog killing. The media attention surrounding Vick was as bad, if not worse, than Sam's, including animal rights protesters, etc.

July 25th, 2014, 11:36 am

I don't remember how bad things got when Vick came back. A lot of people were ok with it, a lot of specific organizations protested, but It seemed to die down pretty quick. it was a singular issue, that once people felt he had "redeemed himself" they moved past. Those who have an issue with, or just want to stir stuff up about, and even those who want to promote Sam will continue to do so as long as he plays. This wont go away after 1 season, whether he plays good or bad. He is a 7th Round pick, with the #6 selling Jersey in the NFL. This is a big deal to "both sides" of the issue.

To me there isn't an issue at all, but sadly many people feel there is.

Also to note, Vick commited a crime, something he did penance for, and then could rehabilitate himself from. This is a totally different issue for those who are not happy with it.

July 25th, 2014, 11:53 am
Profile ICQ WWW

Vick continues to draw protests even to this day:

http://www.ktbs.com/story/26004905/mich ... rt-theater

July 25th, 2014, 12:03 pm
Modmin Dude

Let's not forget that Dungy also praised Tebow as a 'franchise qb' as well as endorsed him...
Quote:
Dungy also had interesting comments on Tim Tebow. Dungy loves winners. He thinks Charlie Ward would have been a great NFL quarterback because he won at every level. Dungy said that Tebow is like that. He just wins, and that will translate to the NFL.
Dungy said if he ran St. Louis, he’d draft Tebow high in the first round. “Franchise quarterbacks are hard to fine, and I believe in this guy,” Dungy said.

Dan asked Dungy if Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Jake Locker and Jimmy Clausen were available, would he take Tebow over all of them. Dungy said yes, he’d take Tebow.
Yeah, no media circus surrounding Tebow at all :roll: ](*,)

PFT wrote:
“As a coach, I always like winners,” Dungy said. “Tim Tebow doesn’t have the classic throwing motion, he doesn’t have the accuracy, maybe, right now that some people are looking for, but I think when he gets into a pro system that really stresses throwing the ball accurately, the big thing is he makes the people around him better. And he’s won. … I think he’s going to be a great player in the NFL.”

“Is it ever going to be Peyton Manning-ish? Maybe not,” Dungy said of Tebow’s throwing motion. “But I just think what you can do with him, the problems he creates for a defense, the combination of leadership and what he’s shown, if I have him, defenses have to prepare for a totally different offense. … He’s going to give teams the most headaches getting ready for him.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... arterback/

July 25th, 2014, 12:11 pm
QB Coach

I think the bottom line (from an NFL/coach) perspective is what Mike Golic said on Mike & Mike the other day: If Sam was a big enough talent, it wouldn't matter. That's why guys put up with the distraction of Vick, and in the case of Tebow, at the time he was seen as a winner and guy who would likely be a good QB. That obviously was wrong, but the point is that the big talents have always gotten away with more. There's a famous story from back when the Cowboys had their dynasty in the 90's of Troy Aikman falling asleep in a meeting and Jimmy Johnson not doing anything about it, but then a backup was late to a meeting or fell asleep or something, and he got released. Fair or not, there is a different standard for star players and non-stars.

That said, I agree that Dungy is being a hypocrite. But the fact is that Sam is a 7th round pick, most likely won't make the team, and thus doesn't warrant the distraction (in Dungy's view). I get it. I just happen to disagree with it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

July 25th, 2014, 12:34 pm

If he doesn't make the team, you can almost guarantee he'll be on the practice squad. Hes got the #6 selling Jersey in the NFL, and it's still a business.

July 25th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
That said, I agree that Dungy is being a hypocrite. But the fact is that Sam is a 7th round pick, most likely won't make the team, and thus doesn't warrant the distraction (in Dungy's view). I get it. I just happen to disagree with it.

That would be more acceptable if that was his stated position. I wouldn't agree, but I could understand if he came out and said, "Sam isn't a good enough player to warrant the distraction."

But that isn't what he said at all. Even when he was asked to clarify his remarks, he basically just reiterated his original position:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nf ... /12997845/

Given his past positions on Vick and Tebow, that makes him a hypocrite.

July 25th, 2014, 5:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]