View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Da Bears 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Da Bears
View from a Bears Fan
California?s David Goldberg on the big contracts the Bears have shelled out recently.

?
?
By David Goldberg
View from the Fan

May 26, 2005, 3:35 PM CDT

There is reason for hope in Beardom. And I'm not talking about the promising rookie running back or the still promising young quarterback or even that gathering storm of a defense?very promising indeed.

No, I'm talking about the unsung heroes who diligently sign those big, fat checks. I'm talking about the McCaskeys. Maybe love doesn't cost a thing, but championships are expensive.

In the past two years the McCaskey family has spent big bucks on improving the team. They say you can't buy happiness, but that was before free agency.

The Bears have given hefty contracts to offensive tackles Fred Miller (five-year deal could be worth up to $22.5 million) and John Tait (six-year, $33.5 million contract that includes $14 million in bonuses), wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad (six years, $30 million) and defensive end Adewale Ogunleye (six-year deal worth $33.4 million).

The days of tossing quarters around like they were manhole covers are clearly over. Management has demonstrated a commitment to winning and soon.

And I for one am grateful, because there is nothing more unbearably frustrating to a fan than a stingy owner.

The Bears are a team on the rise. They have a promising rookie running back, a still promising young quarterback, a potentially monsterous defense and ownership committed to winning and willing to pay for it.

If money can't buy me love, I'll settle for the Super Bowl.

Every week, the ChicagoSports.com staff will select one 500-word-or-less column from you, the opinionated on-line sports fan. Submissions can be edited for grammar and spelling. Before we begin, a few suggestions:

1. You need to put your name, hometown and state before you fill out the "Comment" field. We don't pass it out; we use it for your byline.

May 30th, 2005, 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]