View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Reports: NFL, DirecTV near new Sunday Ticket deal 
Modmin Dude

Post Reports: NFL, DirecTV near new Sunday Ticket deal
PFT wrote:
Reports: NFL, DirecTV near new Sunday Ticket deal
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 12, 2013, 8:35 PM EST

The longstanding agreement that gives DirecTV exclusive access to the Sunday Ticket package that gives NFL fans the ability to watch every game expires after next season. But the two sides have apparently come to terms on a new deal.

Multiple reports on Thursday say the league and the satellite TV provider have agreed to keep Sunday Ticket on DirecTV for years to come.

DirecTV, which pays about $1 billion a year to the NFL for exclusive access to Sunday Ticket, expects to keep that exclusive access going forward.

“We’ve had very, very constructive conversations with the NFL, but it’s complex,” DirecTV CEO Michael White told Variety. “I’m very optimistic we will get an exclusive deal done on NFL Sunday Ticket.”

There had been talk that the NFL might open up the Sunday Ticket package to cable companies, or that an Internet distributor like Google’s YouTube could bid on the contract. But DirecTV seems set to keep the competitors at bay and hold onto exclusive access to Sunday Ticket.

A new deal would need to be approved by DirecTV’s board of directors and the NFL’s owners, but this is a deal that has made both sides a lot of money, and now seems likely to keep making both sides a lot of money for many more years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... cket-deal/

December 13th, 2013, 10:02 am
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Reports: NFL, DirecTV near new Sunday Ticket deal
Or maybe not...
PFT wrote:
NFL denies it has reached new agreement with DirecTV
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 13, 2013, 10:18 AM EST

Despite multiple reports on Thursday saying the NFL and DirecTV have reached a new agreement to keep the exclusive Sunday Ticket package on satellite television, the league says no deal has been reached.

“We do not have an agreement. Any speculation or reports to the contrary are not accurate,” NFL Media Group VP/Communications Alex Riethmiller told Sports Business Daily.

An agreement may not be done, but DirecTV’s CEO declared himself “very optimistic” that a deal will get done to keep Sunday Ticket exclusively on DirecTV. So it sounds like DirecTV is prepared to spend whatever it will take to keep the NFL’s owners happy. If DirecTV can’t come to terms with the NFL on a new deal, the NFL could open it up to cable companies, or to Internet distributors like YouTube or Netflix.

Under the current deal, which extends through the end of the 2014 season, DirecTV pays the NFL about $1 billion a year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... h-directv/
Personally I'd like to see it opened up to other distributors. Hell, the NFL has their own network, why couldn't they have their own streaming service too......cut out the middle man.......

December 13th, 2013, 11:30 am
Player of the Year - Defense

They already do it for preseason, so it's a possibility. I think Goggle is still in the mix. Youtube streaming games would be a major coup for them.

December 13th, 2013, 11:50 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I hope Google gets it. Would help them sell their Nexus TV coming next year.

December 13th, 2013, 12:32 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm confused. Reports earlier this year had DirectTV actually losing money on the deal and almost a 100% certainty to let said deal expire.

December 13th, 2013, 1:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
I'm confused. Reports earlier this year had DirectTV actually losing money on the deal and almost a 100% certainty to let said deal expire.

They might be losing money, from a direct accounting standpoint. I'm a DirecTV customer, I might not be without the Sunday Ticket. That is why they want to keep it, despite accounting losses.

December 13th, 2013, 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

They might be losing money, from a direct accounting standpoint. I'm a DirecTV customer, I might not be without the Sunday Ticket. That is why they want to keep it, despite accounting losses.
Exactly

December 13th, 2013, 3:37 pm
RIP Killer

Too bad it used to be $350 a year and if you watch the lions exclusively, you maybe get to see 10 games that aren't blacked out (like me living in Chicago). That's $35 a game

December 14th, 2013, 12:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]