View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 NFL considers getting rid of Practice Squads?! 
RIP Killer

Post NFL considers getting rid of Practice Squads?!
Quote:
NFL | No More Practice Squads? - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:58:46 -0700

John Czarnecki, of FoxSports.com, reports the NFL is apparently considering doing away with the ability of teams to carry eight-man practice squads. It would be hard to imagine the NFLPA would sit still and watch the league take away 256 jobs just because they are in a collective bargaining renewal fight with the NFL at the present.

What a stupid idea! As it is, I believe that the teams should be allowed to have a larger (than 53) roster and be able to have all those players active for every game. With injuries on the rise, teams should be to put their best players on the field at any point during a game, and not worry about who is or isn't inactive. As long as the teams are under the cap, what does the NFL care?

June 3rd, 2005, 7:59 am
Hall of Fame Player

I saw this yesterday and decided not to get worried about it. I'm positive it's part of a negotiation ploy by Paul Tagliabue due to the CBA talks. It's just a threat.

I totally agree with you it would be stupid to get rid of the practice squad and I'm certain 32 head coaches feel the same way.

I wouldn't get to concerned about it.

June 3rd, 2005, 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

If I'm not mistaken, weren't they talking about this last year too? It was voted down at the owners meeting. I don't think they have anything to worry about. I see the NFL Europe going long before the practice squads do.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

June 3rd, 2005, 9:02 am
RIP Killer

Actually it was last year when they decided to expand the number of players allowed on a practice squad from five to eight, wasn't it? I don't think the dissolving of practice squads was a point of discussion then.

June 3rd, 2005, 11:50 am
Modmin Dude

Actually it was last year when they decided to expand the number of players allowed on a practice squad from five to eight, wasn't it? I don't think the dissolving of practice squads was a point of discussion then.

I do remember they expanded the practice squard last year, but I thought they were also throwing around the idea of eliminating them altogether too. WTF do I know, I can't even remember what I did last week, let alone last year

Joe Fauria, MVP!

June 3rd, 2005, 3:34 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Divisio et impera. Remember that 80% of the players earn 45% of the cap. This is a very wise move along with the performance bonus thing. That type of candy and threats already gets you close to a majority of the votes. Of course, the real problem is among the owners themselves and it did not work in the NHL.

June 4th, 2005, 7:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]