View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 11:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Browns + Shelton - Verba(?) 
Modmin Dude

NFL | Cash and Commitment Needed to Sign Verba - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 05:09:00 -0700

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Plain Dealer, reports free agent OT Ross Verba said he plans to start making visits to teams next week. He said his agent, Tom Condon, told him that 10 teams have already called to express interest. He wouldn't reveal which ones, but did name a few he'd like to play for. "I'm interested mostly in the teams that need tackles," he said. "I'd like to play for San Diego, Houston, Buffalo, Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco, someone like that." Verba said he will tell teams not to all unless they will be offering a big, multiyear contract. When asked how big, Verba replied, "$35 million." "If I don't get what I want, I'll walk away from the game and hold my head up high."

June 10th, 2005, 10:49 am
RIP Killer

HAHA, there's just no way he'll get $35M at this point in the season. Teams just don't have that much cap room...especially the teams he listed! Unless he's willing to play for like a Mil this year, and gets a 7 year deal (no way in hell), it sure seems to me like he'll be retiring before training camp...

June 10th, 2005, 10:54 am
Hall of Fame Player

That's just posturing. No one really cares about the size of the contract - that's just for bragging rights.

The only thing that matters is the guaranteed money. And that's normaly the money up front. He knows that and so does Condon.

I'll bet he gets a 4 or 5 year deal with $10 - 12 Mill up front. That works out to a first year cap hit of $2.75 - 3.5 Mill this year. There's a whole bunch of teams that could do that. Including us if we let a few go.

He'll get that for sure!!

Bottom Line on this is he gave up <$500K to get a $10 Mill plus payday. That's shrewd by any definition.

June 10th, 2005, 11:33 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

At this point in time, the teams he listed won't give out a $10M plus SB. SF did that with Jonas Jennings and it was probably the worst move of the offseason. I look for Verba to take a deal for around $25M total. $6-8M SB, and $2M per season for 4 years, with some bonuses and and incentives totalling somewhere around $8-9M thrown in there.

June 10th, 2005, 11:59 am
RIP Killer

VERBA IS AN rectum!

He can wish in one hand and poop in the other, we'll see which gets filled first. Making the proclamation that if he doesn't get an offer he likes, 'I will walk away from the game with my head held high' is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Where is he going to make the money at that he would being an NFL player?

This guy is a tool, and thinks he's far better than he actually is. Great move by Cleveland to let him go, they have enough idiots on their roster already.

Detroit Lions: Don't even consider making an offer to Ross Verba.

June 10th, 2005, 12:32 pm
Modmin Dude

He can wish in one hand and poop in the other, we'll see which gets filled first.

I never have understood that expression. Personally I can wish for a helluva lot more stuff than I can poop, so I would think that the wish hand would get full first. Any ideas?????

June 10th, 2005, 12:37 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
He can wish in one hand and poop in the other, we'll see which gets filled first.

I never have understood that expression. Personally I can wish for a helluva lot more stuff than I can poop, so I would think that the wish hand would get full first. Any ideas?????

If you wish to have something, do you get it? Wishes have no substance, which is what the statement alludes to. Wishes fill nothing, and are not bound to be fulfilled any time soon. Therefore, which hand gets filled first? Unless you are wishing for a hand full of poop (in which case it would technically be a tie), I think you have your answer.

June 10th, 2005, 12:40 pm
Modmin Dude

If you wish to have something, do you get it? Wishes have no substance, which is what the statement alludes to. Wishes fill nothing, and are not bound to be fulfilled any time soon. Therefore, which hand gets filled first? Unless you are wishing for a hand full of poop (in which case it would technically be a tie), I think you have your answer.
Oh, OK, I gotcha, I think, maybe, possibly, er, uh OK. :confused: :oops:

June 10th, 2005, 12:42 pm
Hall of Fame Player

At this point in time, the teams he listed won't give out a $10M plus SB. SF did that with Jonas Jennings and it was probably the worst move of the offseason. I look for Verba to take a deal for around $25M total. $6-8M SB, and $2M per season for 4 years, with some bonuses and and incentives totalling somewhere around $8-9M thrown in there.

Don't forget, by comparison, we just gave Woody a $9 Mill SB last year on a 5 year deal.

Things that bring Verba's price up:
1) Tackles get more than gaurds.
2) Verba is better than Woody.
3) Inflation - It's a year later.

Things that bring Verba's price down:
1) He's older (than Woody)
2) This event

I promise you he'll get more guaranteed money than Woody's $9 Mill. If not in year one - by year two.

June 10th, 2005, 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I am not sure Bob. After all, ability is the principal determinant of salary. Verba is solid, but he is no all pro. He missed the whole campaign last year. With age and character issues, I am not sure if he will get a whopper deal this year or next.

June 10th, 2005, 3:02 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I promise you he'll get more guaranteed money than Woody's $9 Mill. If not in year one - by year two.

I'm betting you a beer at the home opener.

Are you in?

June 10th, 2005, 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

Did Verba actually say he wanted to play for a team that was looking for a tackle? Duh!

He may be a good football player, but from the sounds of it he would make a better goal post. Their IQ would be about the same.

Shame on me for thinking he would be a good pick for the Lions, maybe I should join Ross in the endzone.

June 19th, 2005, 4:39 am
Hall of Fame Player

Did Verba actually say he wanted to play for a team that was looking for a tackle? Duh!

He may be a good football player, but from the sounds of it he would make a better goal post. Their IQ would be about the same.

Funny!

:lol:

June 19th, 2005, 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2