View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 12:15 pm



Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 McMahon Likely No. 3 in Philly 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post McMahon Likely No. 3 in Philly
For all the people who were screaming to bench Joey Harrington in favor of McMahon, please read the following...


Quote:
Eagles | McMahon Likely No. 3 Quarterback - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 4 Jun 2005 05:17:38 -0700

Larry O'Rourke, of the Morning Call, reports Philadelphia Eagles QB Mike McMahon is adjusting to his role as a backup quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles. He knew that wherever he signed a contract he'd probably be a backup. ''You have to learn somewhere,'' McMahon said. ''All of the teams that were interested were talking to me about being a backup. So, why not learn from the best? Donovan has a strong arm and knows the offense, and I'm learning a lot from him.'' McMahon is working at something of a disadvantage because he is still familiarizing himself with the Eagles' particular brand of the West Coast offense. He said he felt considerably more comfortable in the three-day passing-attack minicamp that ended Friday, June 3. McMahon expects to be given a chance to compete with QB Koy Detmer for the No. 2 QB role behind QB Donovan McNabb. Detmer will have advantages: He's the holder for PK David Akers, and he has spent the past six seasons in the Eagles offense.



I hope people are starting to get it that Joey is simply a better QB than McMahon and gave the Lions a better chance to win - short term and long term. Yes, McMahon might have been exciting to watch because of his scrambling ability but he was never able to get it done with the opportunities given him at that point in his career.

He was our # 2 QB by default and his career is not exactly skyrocketing.


June 4th, 2005, 9:26 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post 
opportunities? are you kidding? stoney case and frank reich were given more opportunities than mike mcmahon. short term joey has done very little 3-5-6 wins, the worst thing is the lack of improvement on his part. he is no better now than as a rookie, only his cast has gotten better each season. this takes us to the next part, long term. Joey has not improved in 40 starts! McMahon clearly has better tools, arm strenth, feet, body and testicles. The only argument you can make is accuracy but Joey is not accurate either - take away the crap completions to Bryson and Schlesinger that rarely bring us 1st downs and he is only slightly more accurate than Mike. Go ahead and bash Mike bc he is willing to scramble around and toss a TD to scotty anderson or chest pass one to James Stewart if thats what it takes and root for the guy who slides 2 yards before the 1st down marker on 3rd down in his "best pro game."

There are two reasons that Joey is still here, his contract and his draft position. neither ever had anything to do with Mike Mcmahon.


June 11th, 2005, 7:13 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: January 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Posts: 2274
Location: South Quad- Ann Arbor
Post 
Also that McMahon hasn't done anything since he was a rookie. Yeah he had the tools, but if you don't know how to use them, it doesn't matter.

_________________
"If he isn't the best football player, the best runner, that the Lord has ever made, then the Lord has yet to make one." Wayne Fontes on Barry.
Image


June 11th, 2005, 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
The Legend wrote:
opportunities? are you kidding?


No, I'm not kidding. This is the NFL - Pro's - NOT college. You TAKE advantage of the opportunities given you, PERIOD. You snooze - you lose! To bad - So sad.

The Legend wrote:
...stoney case and frank reich were given more opportunities than mike mcmahon...


Irrelevant. So what? Different coach, regime', century, etc. Move on.


The Legend wrote:
... short term joey has done very little 3-5-6 wins, ...


Did I miss the day we only had ONE GUY on the field to play?? I'm sorry what ever happened to a 53 man roster? This blaming Joey alone for every loss has grown so old.


The Legend wrote:
...the worst thing is the lack of improvement on his part. he is no better now than as a rookie,...


This statement isn't even remotely close to accurate. His QB rating has improved each year.


The Legend wrote:
... his cast has gotten better each season. ...


Finally your rant produces a statement I can agree with.


The Legend wrote:
...Joey has not improved in 40 starts! ...


Wrong! I thought we covered this?


The Legend wrote:
...McMahon clearly has better tools, arm strenth, feet, body and testicles. ...


Obviously Philly doesn't even believe McMahon is better than Koy Detmer. But what does Andy Ried know? McMahon MAYBE has a stronger arm - who would know since no one gets to use it in Mooch's WCO.

As for McMahon's testicles - I don't know - you apparently do. You're now under suspicion! :lol:


The Legend wrote:
...The only argument you can make is accuracy but Joey is not accurate either - take away the crap completions to Bryson and Schlesinger that rarely bring us 1st downs and he is only slightly more accurate than Mike. ...


Please reread your comment when you're not so high!

First you say Joey's more accurate (which I would have thought was important). Then you say that short yardage compilations are crap and imply they don't count if they didn't get a first down. Then you admit Joey is more accurate than McMahon again.

The Legend wrote:
Go ahead and bash Mike bc he is willing to scramble around and toss a TD to scotty anderson or chest pass one to James Stewart if thats what it takes ...


I didn't bash him for this - I complimented him. Scrambling is one of his finest attributes; If not the finest.

The Legend wrote:
...and root for the guy who slides 2 yards before the 1st down marker on 3rd down in his "best pro game."...


If the implication here is that Joey is not tough I'd disagree. I've seen him take more than one hit and get up. His durability is amongst the best in the league.

The Legend wrote:
...There are two reasons that Joey is still here, his contract and his draft position. neither ever had anything to do with Mike Mcmahon.


This is nonsense!

You're buying into typical media crap and/or hype about his contract. NO ONE CARES. Mooch, Millen and Ford want to win - they will play the QB that they believe gives them the best opportunity to win. PERIOD. Do you honestly believe that when Mooch is sitting in his office deciding who to start he thinks, 'Hhmmm, I'd better start Joey this week... after all we are paying him a lot'? Is anybody going to believe that Ford calls Millen and says, "I just wrote a big bonus check to JH so make sure he plays. I want my moneys worth"?

I will agree that MAYBE his draft position has afforded him a few opportunities that a lower draft choice wouldn't have gotten. And I'll also say that this is most likely his last year to prove himself and it should be. JH hasn't been great - that's not a mystery. However there are worse and this persistent blaming him solely for every loss is immature and boring.


Legend, I read and enjoy a lot of your posts and normally you produce some very well thought out arguments, thought's and idea's. This post was not your best work, IMO.

Bygones!


June 13th, 2005, 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11825
Post 
Well said LionFan57. Some people are such blind Joey haters that they can't seem to see the big picture and what effects it.

_________________
Go Lions!!! headbang.gif

Joe Fauria, MVP!


June 13th, 2005, 9:42 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
I agree. Great rebuttal LF57.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


June 13th, 2005, 4:04 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust
User avatar

Joined: February 27th, 2005, 8:56 pm
Posts: 701
Location: Michigan
Post 
I could really care less what his future leads up to...

_________________
Image

Michael Huff for DROY


June 13th, 2005, 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 8:33 pm
Posts: 3222
Post 
LionFan57 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
...There are two reasons that Joey is still here, his contract and his draft position. neither ever had anything to do with Mike Mcmahon.


This is nonsense!

You're buying into typical media crap and/or hype about his contract. NO ONE CARES. Mooch, Millen and Ford want to win - they will play the QB that they believe gives them the best opportunity to win. PERIOD. Do you honestly believe that when Mooch is sitting in his office deciding who to start he thinks, 'Hhmmm, I'd better start Joey this week... after all we are paying him a lot'? Is anybody going to believe that Ford calls Millen and says, "I just wrote a big bonus check to JH so make sure he plays. I want my moneys worth"?


Whoa whoa whoa...

Legend is definitely 100% correct in his assumption that the reason McMahon wasn't playing was the contract. Sure it's about winning. But you win with certain guys. You can't tell me that you have two quarterbacks of near talent, and one is getting paid 4 million dollars more than the other, than the lesser expensive one is going to sit. Millen understood that this team wasn't going places. He knew that he had to make a committment to "his" franchise quarterback. There is no way, no way, that McMahon was given a fair shot. You can't tell me that.

Millen made a committment to Joey being "his man". He wants Joey in there, there is no doubt in my mind. I remember hearing countless times that Mooch didn't want Harrington this season, and that the only reason Joey was in there was because he was the franchise. He was the #3 overall pick. He is getting paid 4-6 million a season. McMahon is nothing but a late round pick who became a free agent. We had discussions, numerous ones during the season about this.


June 14th, 2005, 12:26 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post 
This wasnt supposed to be a Joey vs Mike thing bc that is over. it was a how can you say mike got a fair shot thing. but regardless i smell some ol fashioned Joey cornbread.

LionFan, you snooze you lose blah blah blah for 40 + starts, those ARE JOEY's opportunities, 8-9 fold more than Mike's so by your own criteria this must be college!!! Apparently he has been making the most of them, hmmm?

I dont blame Joey for every loss but others who havent been cutting it are gone Hakim, Schroeder, MacDougle, Ricks, S. Alexander, T Lyght, T Fair, B Marion, Brian Walker, Streets etc. They get replaced but Joey hasnt, has he really been playing well all along. I dont think so. I dont need the media to tell me any of that. He was the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft and is highly paid, that IS why he is still here and is why he will be getting a shot at 16 more opportunities this year. As much of a purist as you might be millions of dollars do make a difference.

Team of 53 yes, but starting QB is not equal to the others. Especially not when he is 10% of the cap figure. Joey has been the NFL's 32nd, 30th and 22nd ranked QB in his 3 seasons. I am not comforted by his rise to become the best 3rd tier starter in the NFL. How much of that rise is Joey? its debatable, I personally dont think he is playing significantly better and yes I have watched every game. Losing Schroeder and adding a rookie that put up 8 tds was a big part too. the consistency you expect is just not there.

As for the comparison with McMahon, I conceded to you that Joey is more accurate. I dont know what you didnt understand, I guess you must be the only fan in Detroit that enjoys the 3rd down pass completion to set up another Nick Harris pooch punt. Toughness? his feet are too happy to let that get tested. Dont know what to tell you about "your suspicion," but if you actually thought that was funny, necessary, and appropriate it might be good for you to know that studies have found that 3-10% of men are homosexual.


June 14th, 2005, 4:18 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
I'm sorry, I'm going to disagree with both of you and stick to my guns on this issue. It's one of those issues that just doesn't pertain once the commitment is made. Saying that you play the guy with the bigger contract is like saying the black leather heated seats in my BMW make the car go faster. It may be a nice fact or talking point but they are incongruent issues.

Playing JH over MM had NOTHING to do with the size of their contracts but rather the coaches belief as to: A) Who gives the Lions the best chance to win? And B) If everything else is equal - Who do I (the coach) believe is my best long term prospect? (so as to gain experience).

History in the NFL has produced many 2nd and 3rd string QB's who were paid less than their respective starters who emerged as a better QB. Weather they got that opportunity due to injury or poor play of the higher paid starter is irrelevant. These players took advantage of the opportunity presented to them and eventually won the starting job thereby benching the big contract starter. There's dozens of examples of this. Carpe' Diem. Seize the Day. The obvious one that jumps out is New England. How much was Drew Bledsoe making when he was supplanted by the lower paid Tom Brady. If I apply your logic Brady would have been back on the bench when Bledsoe recovered.

If you choose to believe that a coach, GM or owner is concerned with the size of someone's contract on game day - I can't stop you. All I can say is I don't believe that's an issue to them - winning is. They'd start the ball boy if they believed it would produce a win.

McMahon had his best opportunity with Mooch as his coach when Harrington was out with the heart ailment. He didn't get it done. His play didn't prove to anybody that he deserved to be the starter or he would be.

When I hear you say McMahon didn't get a "fair" chance my response is 2 fold: 1) Who taught you life is fair? 2) Fair and EQUAL are two different words.

Granted JH and MM did not get equal chances in the NFL but they did in college. And Joey did a better job there warranting a 1st round pick Vs. Mike's 5th round. And, herein lies a great lesson for everyone everywhere. Every thing you do in life sets you up for the next thing you do or try. And here's where I'm going with this:

Go back and read the press on McMahon around the time we drafted him and one of the things you're going to see over and over are phrases like; Immature, lacks leadership, hothead, cocky, finger pointing at teammates, etc. He was not liked by his team mates at Rutgers and was often blaming his teammates for the MANY losses the team had. Once he got here the same maturity issues where resonating around the locker room. I remember articles about how Morningweg had to quite him down and get him to work on his personality and tact. The players like his spirit and fire but do not like the way he handles himself or treats others. They like the message but don't appreciate the style of delivery or his demeanor.

Mooch and Millen knew this. They loved his athleticism and winning attitude but could no longer wait for his skills to develop and for him to grow up. If you don't think this stuff counts - guess again. You're making statements about what's 'fair' based on game time or starts without considering the whole picture.

Yes, Harrington makes more money; but that's because he was drafted in the first round and THAT happened because he did a better job at the college level where they both had the same opportunities. The money followed the management's beliefs - not the other way around. He was thought on that draft day to be a more promising long term prospect and NOTHING that McMahon has done in the meantime has been able to disprove that.

Now he's in Philly and he went there to back up McNabb. We live in a world where being # 2 just means being 1st amongst the losers. He's apparently going to be the # 3 Guy. If that changes, that's great for him. But for now a head coach who's just taken a team to the Super Bowl isn't willing to give him more reps - just less. I don't know what that means to you but I'm confident it's not an NFL conspiracy to squeeze him out. And I haven't read the Philly papers but I'm guessing no one there is saying, "that's not 'fair'". My hope is McMahon isn't sitting there with his head in his hands crying "Nobody loves me!" He only has ONE OPTION and that's to play better the next chance he gets.

If those facts make you smell cornbread then I'm a cornbread eater I guess and I suggest you pull up a chair and I'll share the loaf. In this city if you say something supportive of the team you eat cornbread... If I question the government, does that make me a communist? I've posted many comments for and against JH. He's not my favorite QB but he's my favorite one that we've got.

If Orlovsky lights it up in camp or excels in a game and demonstrates he's a better chance to win than Harrington then I'm all for it. I only care about winning. I don't care what it costs; who gets paid what; who gets more or less chances; whose feelings get hurt; who gets cut. I just don't care about any of that.


Legend, the only other thing I care about right now is that I want to apologize that my comment offended you. That was not my intent. I was trying to be funny by playing off your comment. I'm sorry it wasn't received that way.


June 14th, 2005, 8:58 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
The Legend wrote:
LionFan, you snooze you lose blah blah blah for 40 + starts, those ARE JOEY's opportunities, 8-9 fold more than Mike's so by your own criteria this must be college!!! Apparently he has been making the most of them, hmmm?

I dont blame Joey for every loss but others who havent been cutting it are gone Hakim, Schroeder, MacDougle, Ricks, S. Alexander, T Lyght, T Fair, B Marion, Brian Walker, Streets etc. They get replaced but Joey hasnt, has he really been playing well all along. I dont think so. I dont need the media to tell me any of that. He was the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft and is highly paid, that IS why he is still here and is why he will be getting a shot at 16 more opportunities this year. As much of a purist as you might be millions of dollars do make a difference.

Team of 53 yes, but starting QB is not equal to the others. Especially not when he is 10% of the cap figure. Joey has been the NFL's 32nd, 30th and 22nd ranked QB in his 3 seasons. I am not comforted by his rise to become the best 3rd tier starter in the NFL. How much of that rise is Joey? its debatable, I personally dont think he is playing significantly better and yes I have watched every game. Losing Schroeder and adding a rookie that put up 8 tds was a big part too. the consistency you expect is just not there.

As for the comparison with McMahon, I conceded to you that Joey is more accurate. I dont know what you didnt understand, I guess you must be the only fan in Detroit that enjoys the 3rd down pass completion to set up another Nick Harris pooch punt. Toughness? his feet are too happy to let that get tested.


Funny how out of the ten players that you mentioned who weren't cutting it, half of them are receivers who were dropping passes. So, if those players were dropping passes, why blame the quarterback?
I have watched Joey since his being drafted. I also watched Mike McMahon come in and play. Fact is, Mike was too quick to run away from pressure and not let patterns develop. I had seen McMahon bitching on the field when he was under pressure, even though the line gave him a fair amount of time. Sometimes receivers just don't get open. If that happens, then fine, run like Hell. But McMahon would barely get out of his drop and he was already putting his head down and running. And when he started 'scrambling', he stopped looking downfield. A truly good scrambling quarterback uses his running to allow receivers to make separation. McMahon kept looking for blocks when he started running. A quarterback shouldn't look for blocks until he's near the LOS, or past it.

That being said, I think both of you (Legend and LF57) are correct in some ways. Joeys contract would give him the nod in a competition of players doing equally well. However, you said Legend that Joey is the more accurate passer. In a WCO that is cherished more than anything else, hence the natural choice of Harrington over McMahon, regardless of the size of his contract. One more point, who was making more last year in San Diego, Brees or Rivers? Rivers, by a LOOOOOOOONG shot. Who sat the entire season? How good was Brees the previous three? Contracts didn't seem to matter there, and I don't think they matter here.

As for the third down passes short of the sticks, is that entirely Joey's fault? What about the play being called? What about the coaching of the receivers to stretch the patterns beyond the sticks? It isn't always something that can be put on Harringtons shoulders, because I saw that happen with McMahon as well.

Tell me, if Joey attempts to get a pass to a covered receiver beyond the sticks and gives up a pick, will you support his 'trying'? Or will you bash him for it?

Another point is that Harrington has not had the chance to enjoy a corp of receivers stay intact one year to the next. Hell, they have trouble fielding the same receivers game to game. When a QB cannot build confidence or timing with his receivers, there's going to be trouble. In Mooch's offense, the flanker is the primary receiver about 70% of the time. The past two seasons, it was Charles Rogers playing that position. So who do you think JH was getting the greatest amount of field repoire with? The player he has had for only five regular season games.

Bitch all you want about Harrington and his poor showings. Having your receivers drop over 100 passes in two years isn't his fault. If the receivers had caught half those drops last year, JH would have had a 61.6% competion instead of 56%. At least three sure TD's were dropped, who knows how many more would have been scores? And based on yardage per completion, he would have had 300 yards more passing.

Funny how Harrington threw for over 300 yards in two of the last three games last season. Greg Olson was calling the plays instead of Mariucci. Olson is the quarterbacks coach. Why do you think that is? Maybe the play calling has something to do with the Lions poor offense? I think there's some evidence to support that. Even Millen doesn't think Mooch is a good offensive play caller, hence his order to let Olson call the plays. Hopefully Tollner will take over play calling this year.

If you have watched every game and don't feel that Joey is doing better, you aren't watching the right parts of the game. I too feel that Joey needs to become a more consistent passer. I also see times when Joey is pressing, because his mechanics are extremely poor. But those are things that can be corrected. And I have seen some improvements in how he reads coverages and checks off. He has also started to become somewhat more vocal.

The one thing Joey hasn't really shown me is true field leadership. I don't think the players respond to him as well as they should. But again, some of that has to be put on the coaches. When your own head coach shows tepid support to you as the quarterback, how do you think the rest of the squad will act?

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


June 14th, 2005, 11:49 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10270
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
Great post Mike. That should have been a front page article.

Something to the likes of "The age old debate, is it Joey's fault?"


June 14th, 2005, 12:09 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post 
Nice work Mike. Liked it very much. I will reply back a little later.


June 14th, 2005, 12:12 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post 
Real quick, how many of those 2/3 300 yard games did we win? ZERO!!! We won the game where Joey threw for 150 and an INT for TD!!! I dont wanna hear about Olson vs Mooch. Rivers held out, otherwise he would have been given a bigger opportunity to start, but his delay gave Brees another chance. Brees excelled in his 3rd season of playing, he did not have significant playing time as a rookie. Our clock with Joey is running longer and he's been unchallenged. Leadership - you may be right, his play and coaches support do not warrant support from teammates. But Joey forces the issue, if you watch highlights on NFL network you see him huddle up his teammates breaking up celebrations and conversations and giving a quick rally lecture. It almost makes you feel embarassed watching it. I do think if he plays better he will get that support, but right now there are many who resent him.

Lion Fan- Joey's heart ailment was as a rookie with Morninwheg. Best chance with a coach about to canned. Brady is awesome you are right, nobody is comparing McMahon to him, only to Joey and his chances here in Detroit. Garcia is a much better option than Orlovsky right now and we'll see if GARCIA gets a CHANCE vs Joey if he struggles AGAIN. I think that would only be fair to the team. Actually rated higher than Joey despite being on a despicable team and played with unquestioned toughness in that Cleveland situation.

OK gotta go before I get canned...


June 14th, 2005, 12:35 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
The Legend wrote:
Real quick, how many of those 2/3 300 yard games did we win? ZERO!!! We won the game where Joey threw for 150 and an INT for TD!!! I dont wanna hear about Olson vs Mooch. Rivers held out, otherwise he would have been given a bigger opportunity to start, but his delay gave Brees another chance. Brees excelled in his 3rd season of playing, he did not have significant playing time as a rookie. Our clock with Joey is running longer and he's been unchallenged. Leadership - you may be right, his play and coaches support do not warrant support from teammates. But Joey forces the issue, if you watch highlights on NFL network you see him huddle up his teammates breaking up celebrations and conversations and giving a quick rally lecture. It almost makes you feel embarassed watching it. I do think if he plays better he will get that support, but right now there are many who resent him.

Lion Fan- Joey's heart ailment was as a rookie with Morninwheg. Best chance with a coach about to canned. Brady is awesome you are right, nobody is comparing McMahon to him, only to Joey and his chances here in Detroit. Garcia is a much better option than Orlovsky right now and we'll see if GARCIA gets a CHANCE vs Joey if he struggles AGAIN. I think that would only be fair to the team. Actually rated higher than Joey despite being on a despicable team and played with unquestioned toughness in that Cleveland situation.

OK gotta go before I get canned...


So Joey throws for over 300 yards and the team loses. That's Joey's fault then? Is that what you are saying? Sooooo....he should have thrown for 400 yards? How about he should have thrown more TD passes? It's all on his shoulders, right? But when he throws for 'only 150 yards and a pick that goes for a TD' during a victory, he's lucky the team didn't lose because of him. So where then is the trade-off? When is it the teams fault they lost despite a good showing by Joey? Strangely enough, you seem to want to blame Joey for the defensive lapses by the Lions, as well as the offensive woes.

Read my article about Kobayashi Maru. It will explain why view points like yours created that piece of work for me. Regardless of how well he plays, Joey will never be the reason for success but will always be the reason for failure.

It seems to me Legend that Joey did his job in those games. It was the remainder of the team, the ones you say who resent him, that didn't do THEIR jobs. So what if Joey breaks up celebrations? He should be giving his team some direction and bringing them back into focus. Much of that depends on the situation. If the team scores, but is losing by two touchdowns, why the celebration? Shouldn't they concentrate on doing what it takes to win? If someone (in this case Harrington) tries to give them that direction, what's bad about it?

And as for Rivers, he was in camp by the time the season started. If money were the only driving issue, he would have been playing by mid-season. And Brees didn't play as much as Harrington because Brees was playing worse when given opportunities in previous years. That's why San Diego kept giving the ball back to Flutie.

I understand many of the frustrations that fans feel. I am a fan as well, and I have been critical of Harrington. However, I won't have my frustrations directed blindly at one individual that is only PART of the problem. I have a strong feeling that this team would not have been faring too much better with whatever QB we put behind center. There's been quite a bit of QB turnover in this town the past ten years. Maybe we, as fans, need to allow a player to develop rather than expecting immediate results. Particularly from our quarterbacks.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


June 14th, 2005, 2:30 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.