View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 19th, 2017, 1:07 am



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension 
Author Message
Megatron
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12532
Post Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
PFT wrote:
Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT

The #DeflateWait is over. (Credit to Trey Wingo for the name.)

According to the Associated Press, Judge Richard M. Berman has “nullified” the four-game suspension imposed on Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

The ruling has not yet been released, and it’s unclear whether the suspension has been permanently wiped clean or whether the case has been sent back for a second hearing.

The NFL has appeal rights, but it’s highly unlikely that the league would be able to block Brady from playing next Thursday night against the Steelers.

More to come. Throughout the day. And beyond.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... uspension/

_________________
Quote:
Detroit vs. Everybody
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


September 3rd, 2015, 10:47 am
Profile
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4201
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
I told you all months ago this would happen. I don't know if I have seen a better example of a witch hunt in the past decade. This was a debacle and just another example of the legal system stepping in and calling Goodell out as unfair.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 3rd, 2015, 5:21 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2578
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
regularjoe12 wrote:
I told you all months ago this would happen. I don't know if I have seen a better example of a witch hunt in the past decade. This was a debacle and just another example of the legal system stepping in and calling Goodell out as unfair.


The Irony of it being there isnt a person in the world who doesnt 100% know hes guilty (i dont think its a big deal though), but proving it is another matter entirely. Goodell continuing to make an rectum out of himself.


September 3rd, 2015, 6:22 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Online
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3241
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
The judge only said that the commish couldn't punish him because it wasn't a listed punishment in the CBA. Conduct detrimental falls in a different category though so you could very well find this going the other way when the appeal happens. And since the appeal puts it infront of 3 judges instead of one, depending on the timing, Brady could be suspended for the playoffs or the beginning of next season.


September 4th, 2015, 12:03 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2578
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
The harder the league pushes this, the worse they (and especially the commish) look. Push the public too far and lose them, and the owners (same 1s who told him to nail Brady) will pull support and throw goodell to the wolves. THey should let this go and move on.


September 4th, 2015, 11:05 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4201
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
DJ-B wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
I told you all months ago this would happen. I don't know if I have seen a better example of a witch hunt in the past decade. This was a debacle and just another example of the legal system stepping in and calling Goodell out as unfair.


The Irony of it being there isnt a person in the world who doesnt 100% know hes guilty (i dont think its a big deal though), but proving it is another matter entirely. Goodell continuing to make an rectum out of himself.


Actually I think that anyone who says they know (outside of Brady and the patriots) 100% weather he did or didn't do it is crazy. There isn't any thing resembling a smoking gun, and on the other side some of activities of Brady and the team as a whole make you wonder.

The fact is you don't know, and anyone who says they do is either a hater, or a blind homer IMO. BOTH sides have acted shady as hell and neither is to be completely trusted.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 4th, 2015, 2:41 pm
Profile
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4201
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
njroar wrote:
The judge only said that the commish couldn't punish him because it wasn't a listed punishment in the CBA. Conduct detrimental falls in a different category though so you could very well find this going the other way when the appeal happens. And since the appeal puts it infront of 3 judges instead of one, depending on the timing, Brady could be suspended for the playoffs or the beginning of next season.


I don't think the NFL wins the appeal. Look at the track record of Goodell's suspensions getting overturned. He's already had more than a few judges say he oversteps his bounds with the CBA. I think the next 3 will follow the trend.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 4th, 2015, 2:51 pm
Profile
Online
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3241
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
regularjoe12 wrote:
njroar wrote:
The judge only said that the commish couldn't punish him because it wasn't a listed punishment in the CBA. Conduct detrimental falls in a different category though so you could very well find this going the other way when the appeal happens. And since the appeal puts it infront of 3 judges instead of one, depending on the timing, Brady could be suspended for the playoffs or the beginning of next season.


I don't think the NFL wins the appeal. Look at the track record of Goodell's suspensions getting overturned. He's already had more than a few judges say he oversteps his bounds with the CBA. I think the next 3 will follow the trend.


There's a difference between overstepping and not having the testimony of both the NFL League counsel and the two equipment managers which could make a difference. There's a difference between labor friendly judges acting alone and 3 judges which aren't known until the day of deliberations. Remember that even this judge didn't exonerate Brady and say he was innocent. He only said that you can't suspend for something that wasn't something someone had been suspended for previously. Which is something not all judges will agree on. Just because a suspension wasn't given in the past, doesn't mean it isn't warranted now.

And the primary reason this NEEDS to be appealed isn't because of this case against Brady, but due to the upcoming lawsuit with Greg Hardy since the old suspension method for domestic abuse was obviously too lenient, with this ruling, they aren't able to hold him to the new standards and he'd get minimal to zero time. You think the public is going to be ok with that? Some will argue that they need to collective bargain those types of changes in, but when the need arises for harsher penalties, you're never going to get the agreement of those that would face those penalties. The players don't face the public outrage when the punishment is too lenient, the commish does. I agree that you can't overreach, but when players want old punishments because they did something when the rules were older, the adjusted punishments need to be retroactive. Hardy was one of the reasons the rules had to change and when the cause doesn't have to apply to the new rules, it doesn't make sense.

The appeal process could take years, but it will settle that issue. And you can say they will collective bargain it, but you will never have both sides agree to that. I never see the players agreeing to be at the whim of rule changes, for good or bad.


September 4th, 2015, 5:24 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2578
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
regularjoe12 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
I told you all months ago this would happen. I don't know if I have seen a better example of a witch hunt in the past decade. This was a debacle and just another example of the legal system stepping in and calling Goodell out as unfair.


The Irony of it being there isnt a person in the world who doesnt 100% know hes guilty (i dont think its a big deal though), but proving it is another matter entirely. Goodell continuing to make an rectum out of himself.


Actually I think that anyone who says they know (outside of Brady and the patriots) 100% weather he did or didn't do it is crazy. There isn't any thing resembling a smoking gun, and on the other side some of activities of Brady and the team as a whole make you wonder.

The fact is you don't know, and anyone who says they do is either a hater, or a blind homer IMO. BOTH sides have acted shady as hell and neither is to be completely trusted.


He is as guilty as OJ was, and EVERYONE knows it. Its completely different to be able to prove it on legal ground, and thats why Brady will win this. Im a Huge Brady fan, but the Balls didnt deflate themselves between pregame weigh ins and their use on the field. His ball guys did it (obviously), and the tons of text messages between Brady and his Ball handlers forever lost when Brady destroyed his phone are a smoking gun.

That said, i don't think deflating balls is a big deal and should be legal. A Fine should have been enough of a punishment, even the draft pick might have been overdoing it. At this point Goodell has dug himself a big hole.


September 4th, 2015, 7:35 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3113
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
Quote:
Bill Belichick and the Patriots videotaped opposing teams’ signals from 40 different games from 2000 through 2007. And when the scandal broke, Goodell did everything in his power to protect Robert Kraft, who was one of his strongest supporters and without whom he would not have been named commissioner. The thesis statement in this story is that the cover-up—and if this report is accurate, the league’s actions can’t be called anything else but a cover-up—so rankled other owners that Goodell came down extra-hard on New England and Tom Brady for Ballghazi as “a makeup call.”


http://deadspin.com/bombshell-espn-repo ... socialflow


September 8th, 2015, 11:40 am
Profile
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4201
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
Bill Belichick and the Patriots videotaped opposing teams’ signals from 40 different games from 2000 through 2007. And when the scandal broke, Goodell did everything in his power to protect Robert Kraft, who was one of his strongest supporters and without whom he would not have been named commissioner. The thesis statement in this story is that the cover-up—and if this report is accurate, the league’s actions can’t be called anything else but a cover-up—so rankled other owners that Goodell came down extra-hard on New England and Tom Brady for Ballghazi as “a makeup call.”


http://deadspin.com/bombshell-espn-repo ... socialflow


This comes from the same ESPN that grossly misinformed the public about just about every detail regarding "deflate gate"? The same " news" source that recently had to recsind and apologize for several reports that were debunked years ago?

I'm interested to see if any of this is true, but it's going to take someone other than the blatant liars that is ESPN for me to believe it. ESPN has lost all credibility when reporting about the Patriots IMO.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 9th, 2015, 12:23 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3113
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
ESPN have been nothing but Patriots slappies for the last 15 years. They are hardly biased against New England.

Someone had to leak this story. Other owners to get Roger fired? I don't know.


September 9th, 2015, 12:29 pm
Profile
Online
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3241
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
I think your stance is one of the problems that is easily fixed, but due to our on-demand society won't be. ESPN is an organization. As an organization they report nothing. Reporters do. Chris Mortensen reported the information from a source. That source lied to him, which was uncomfortable at the time. That doesn't make ESPN a liar. That doesn't make Chris Mortensen a liar. That makes the source a liar, and we know that because others have reported that it was misinformation leaked to Mortensen. The league hasn't corrected the information, but ESPN has acknowledged that the sources inside the league office gave that information. It's up to you as a reader to put 2 and 2 together, but it's easier for you to blame ESPN for not spoon-feeding updated information directly to you.

Last I checked, Don Natta, Jr. isn't the same name as Chris Mortensen. But we're ok with judging someone else work based on someone else? A Lion's fan once said we'd win the Super Bowl. I guess that makes all of us delusional and wrong when it doesn't take place right?

Are there some at ESPN that are NFL lackeys? Of course. Are there some that are specific team lackeys? Of course. They're people and people are going to make their own decision. Unless of course every choice we make is linked to us as a whole by people that don't want to spend the time.

I guess the Sports Illustrated piece that backed up everything in this report and just showed a separate angle proves their biased against NE as well?


September 9th, 2015, 12:56 pm
Profile
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4201
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Report: Judge Berman overturns Brady suspension
njroar wrote:
I think your stance is one of the problems that is easily fixed, but due to our on-demand society won't be. ESPN is an organization. As an organization they report nothing. Reporters do. Chris Mortensen reported the information from a source. That source lied to him, which was uncomfortable at the time. That doesn't make ESPN a liar. That doesn't make Chris Mortensen a liar. That makes the source a liar, and we know that because others have reported that it was misinformation leaked to Mortensen. The league hasn't corrected the information, but ESPN has acknowledged that the sources inside the league office gave that information. It's up to you as a reader to put 2 and 2 together, but it's easier for you to blame ESPN for not spoon-feeding updated information directly to you.

Last I checked, Don Natta, Jr. isn't the same name as Chris Mortensen. But we're ok with judging someone else work based on someone else? A Lion's fan once said we'd win the Super Bowl. I guess that makes all of us delusional and wrong when it doesn't take place right?

Are there some at ESPN that are NFL lackeys? Of course. Are there some that are specific team lackeys? Of course. They're people and people are going to make their own decision. Unless of course every choice we make is linked to us as a whole by people that don't want to spend the time.

I guess the Sports Illustrated piece that backed up everything in this report and just showed a separate angle proves their biased against NE as well?


ESPN has been wrong on too many occasions for me to take what they say at face value. I don't care who the reporter is, it's all approved to be aired by the same people. They are quick to rush a story out, notorious for not fact checking...

This may be a true story, all I am saying is that I am ALWAYS hesitant when they are the ones "breaking" the story. Far too often the truth ends up being something quite different than the rush job they put out.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 9th, 2015, 3:43 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.