View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 19th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 2015-2016 Coaching Carousel 
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Post 2015-2016 Coaching Carousel
Confirmed:
Ken Whisenhunt fired by Tennessee
Chip Kelly fired By Eagles
Jim Tomsula fired by 49ers
Mike Pettine fired by Browns
Tom Coughlin fired by Giants - resigned, will be available for open positions
Chuck Pagano : Colts :signed extension and will remain coach of the Colts.

And the surprise of the firings, Lovie Smith fired by the Buccaneers.

Rumored:

Jim Caldwell : Lions

Last edited by njroar on January 6th, 2016, 11:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.

December 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm
3rd Round Selection

Post Re: 2015-2016 Coaching Carousel
Let's hope Philly doesn't snatch Gase before we have a chance to settle on a GM. I'd hate it if the GM search took too long and Caldwell ends up retaining because there aren't any better options left in the market.

December 30th, 2015, 8:25 am
William Clay Ford Sr.

DayDreamer wrote:
Let's hope Philly doesn't snatch Gase before we have a chance to settle on a GM. I'd hate it if the GM search took too long and Caldwell ends up retaining because there aren't any better options left in the market.

I think the late season winning has already saved Caldwell's job.

December 30th, 2015, 11:56 am
3rd Round Selection

BillySims wrote:

I'm afraid you might be right. What short memories we have if we've already forgotten about the early season losing streak AND that hail mary just a couple of weeks ago.

December 30th, 2015, 5:12 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Caldwell staying would have more to do with the good the assistants are doing and not wanting to shake that up right now. I wouldn't see any problem with the new gm going another year with Caldwell. There are a lot of pros to using Caldwell as a stop gap while you evaluate your personnel first hand.

December 30th, 2015, 10:20 pm
William Clay Ford Sr.

What if keeping Caldwell helped lure Bill Polian?

December 30th, 2015, 10:35 pm

BillySims wrote:
What if keeping Caldwell helped lure Bill Polian?

Polian is just an analyst now, I don't want to see him as GM. I don't want any of the GMs or coaches that have been sitting on a desk for more than a year. All those guys are done and don't have the drive to actually perform like they did in the past or they would have already returned.

December 31st, 2015, 12:07 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

I don't think so. Everybody knows the Lions are beating very beatable teams. The new GM will come in and see a team that vastly underperformed in the first half of the season. They will also see numerous gaffes by Caldwell, such as the end of the Green Bay game where everyone knew Rodgers would be throwing to the end zone, but Caldwell failed to understand that concept and told his team to look for a lateral. He has made poor challenges, poor decisions, and in truth has done little to help this team win. The best decision he made was to fire Lombardi, and that came WAAAY too late to salvage the season. Up to that point, he defended Lombardi. And the reason he defended Lombardi was just to cover his own butt for hiring that inept fool to begin with.

IF the Lions keep Caldwell, this team will go downhill in a hurry. In my opinion, he's that bad of a coach.

December 31st, 2015, 9:53 am
Team President - Rod Wood

rao wrote:
Caldwell staying would have more to do with the good the assistants are doing and not wanting to shake that up right now. I wouldn't see any problem with the new gm going another year with Caldwell. There are a lot of pros to using Caldwell as a stop gap while you evaluate your personnel first hand.

I think the Lions could do well against a schedule that as of right now appears to be somewhat "soft." What does the GM do then if Caldwell has a good year? Might be hard to fire him and at that point might have to extend him which guarantees two more years. This guy could turn into the present day Wayne Fontes, just barely doing enough each year to survive but not inspiring much confidence in anybody.

December 31st, 2015, 7:24 pm

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:

I think the Lions could do well against a schedule that as of right now appears to be somewhat "soft." What does the GM do then if Caldwell has a good year? Might be hard to fire him and at that point might have to extend him which guarantees two more years. This guy could turn into the present day Wayne Fontes, just barely doing enough each year to survive but not inspiring much confidence in anybody.

Unless they made a playoff run there is really no way for Caldwell to force an extension. They have a wild card appearance, so I don't think just having a winning year is enough to make people want to resign Caldwell.

December 31st, 2015, 10:48 pm
League MVP

Lovie Smith is out in Tampa. Kinda surprised by this

January 6th, 2016, 11:43 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

This is just dumb. Seems like he had them going in the right direction. It's when other teams do stuff like this that you realize that firing a coach, especially after such a short time, doesn't seem like such a great idea.

Edit: Think this is our new DC if Caldwell stays and Austin leaves?

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

January 7th, 2016, 12:00 am
Team President - Rod Wood

thelomasbrowns wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

This is just dumb. Seems like he had them going in the right direction. It's when other teams do stuff like this that you realize that firing a coach, especially after such a short time, doesn't seem like such a great idea.

i must admit thats a weird firing, must ve had some disagreements about the direction of the team or maybe the pressure of being dominated by his former unappreciated meal ticket ron rivera was too much...

lions could probably do much worse than lovie smith as a dc but i d worry about him bc he seems married to a system and that seems to work out when you ve had time to mold the roster and have everyone healthy but it sure helps to be flexible in the short term and/or when injuries and mismatches start popping up...

January 7th, 2016, 12:23 am
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

The Legend wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

i must admit thats a weird firing, must ve had some disagreements about the direction of the team or maybe the pressure of being dominated by his former unappreciated meal ticket ron rivera was too much...

lions could probably do much worse than lovie smith as a dc but i d worry about him bc he seems married to a system and that seems to work out when you ve had time to mold the roster and have everyone healthy but it sure helps to be flexible in the short term and/or when injuries and mismatches start popping up...

Lovie's firing makes no sense. He had his OC abandon ship and a bad roster that led to 2-14, and then had a promising first year out of Winston and gets fired. Unless they already have an agreement in place with a specific coach, how would any candidate look at that job as a promising one? Lovie gets two years after they gave three to Raheem Morris? I'll echo Lavonte David in saying "WTF YO."

As for him as DC.. please no. I'm not a fan of the Dungy coaching tree. Tampa 2 has a place in all defenses, but not as the core and only defense. It had its time, and it's past.

January 7th, 2016, 3:47 am
League MVP

Yeah I'm wondering if they already have a replacement lined up. I also thought about Love stepping in as DC when Austin leaves and I'm against it.

January 7th, 2016, 8:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next