View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Az to Kansas City. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Az to Kansas City.
Quote:
June 11, 2005, 2:59 PM ET

Report: Hakim to reunite with Vermeil

ESPN.com news services

Free agent wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim has reached an oral agreement to play with the Kansas City Chiefs next season, The Kansas City Star reported.

Wide Receiver
Az-Zahir Hakim

Hakim, who played for Dick Vermeil's 1999-2000 Super Bowl champion team in St. Louis, is expected to be in Kansas City for next weekend's mini-camp. The paper said Vermeil was Hakim's biggest attraction to the Chiefs.

Hakim caught 31 passes for 533 yards for the Lions last season but was cut when they drafted Mike Williams.

Hakim is expected to have a quick assimilation to the Chiefs offense, catching balls from former teammate Trent Green. Hakim will likely be penciled in as the third starter behind Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker.

When reached earlier Friday, Vermeil said he wanted what was best for Hakim.

"I would love to have him here," he told the paper, "but I don't want to overstate the case to him and talk him into doing something if he has a better deal somewhere else. If [his plans] include the Kansas City Chiefs, I'm excited. I know this young man really well. He's already done a great job for me."

This is Probably a pretty good fit for Az. Maybe things will work out for him with Kansas City.

Basically they traded out Johnie Morton for Az - both castoffs of ours.

:roll:

June 13th, 2005, 5:51 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

June 13th, 2005, 7:28 am
Pro Bowl Player

Free agent wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim has reached an oral agreement to play with the Kansas City Chiefs next season, The Kansas City Star reported.

The only thing I can say is that I hope he goes to sign the contract........... and drops the pen! :roll:

June 13th, 2005, 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I acctually believe he'll have a hell of a career in KC, and I can see why they traded Jonnie Morton for AZ -Jonnie is old as dirt...

Michael Huff for DROY

June 13th, 2005, 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

June 14th, 2005, 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

I never thought Az had ideal size to play slot in the WCO. IMO KC will be a much better fit for him, and visa versa.

June 14th, 2005, 4:50 pm
RIP Killer

I wonder if Dick Vermeil will blame Trent Green for Az Hakim dropping passes like Mooch blamed Harrington for dropped passes?

June 14th, 2005, 6:29 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I wonder if Dick Vermeil will blame Trent Green for Az Hakim dropping passes like Mooch blamed Harrington for dropped passes?

Very Funny!

=D>

June 14th, 2005, 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:18:16 -0700

Updating previous reports, Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced Wednesday, June 15, that the team has signed free agent WR Az-Zahir Hakim (Lions) to a one-year contract.

Chiefs | No Guarantees for Hakim
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:50:08 -0700

Elizabeth Merrill, of the Kansas City Star, reports the one thing WR Az-Zahir Hakim does not have with the Kansas City Chiefs is a guaranteed roster spot. He'll compete for a receiver spot, but that's all head coach Dick Vermeil is promising. "A position isn't going to be handed to him in a Christmas package," Vermeil said Tuesday, June 14. "He's going to have to compete, and he knows that. I didn't really actively recruit hard to get this guy. I wanted him to come on his own." Hakim is expected to sign his one-year deal with the team Wednesday, June 15. Agent Bruce Tollner said Hakim probably will participate in today's offseason workout.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

June 15th, 2005, 4:50 pm
NFL Team Captain

Az walks after one practice. First off what the hell was he doing practicing with the team when he hadn't even signed on the dotted line?

He wasn't guarenteed a roster spot and he knows he sucks, so he bolted. He was swiftly replaced with Freddie(the only thing bigger than my ego is my mouth) Mitchell.

Az....face it buddy your career is in the crapper. Take an offer for whatever you can get. Pay your bills and plan your retirement. You don't have much time.

June 19th, 2005, 4:26 am
Hall of Fame Player

Saturday, June 18, 2005

WR Hakim won't sign with Chiefs

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Free agent wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim will not sign with the Kansas City Chiefs, coach Dick Vermeil said Friday.

The Chiefs said earlier this week that they had reached agreement on a one-year contract with Hakim, who played for Vermeil when the St. Louis Rams won the Super Bowl six years ago.

Hakim and his agent felt the wide receiver would fit in better somewhere else, Vermeil said.

"I was little disappointed, but I understand," Vermeil said. "That's just the nature of this game. You can't have everything you want."

The Chiefs have not committed to bringing in another receiver, Vermeil said, but have been in contact with former Eagles wideout Freddie Mitchell.

Hakim, released by the Detroit Lions in April, had not signed a contract with Kansas City.

"We had agreements, but we kept thinking about it," Vermeil said. "It wasn't the best opportunity for Az, and I'm happy for him."

Associated Press Via Detroit News

Things are going in a surprisingly different direction for Az. I hope he lands somewhere.

I thought this (the Chiefs) would be a good place for him.

Apparently he has something else planned.

Quote:
Saints | Hakim Deal Likely Coming Monday
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:23:52 -0700

KFFL has confirmed free agent WR Az-Zahir Hakim (Lions) is expected to finalize a contract with the New Orleans Saints Monday, June 20.

June 19th, 2005, 8:26 am
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

Rumor has it that the Saints were talking muli-year which would be very appealing to a player of Az's stature--aflac. Excuse me.

June 19th, 2005, 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]