View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2017, 3:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 NO Saints Safety Will Smith. 
William Clay Ford Sr.

Post NO Saints Safety Will Smith.
Died early this morning from multiple gun shots that stemmed from a road rage incident.

April 10th, 2016, 11:12 am
3rd Round Selection

Post Re: NO Saints Safety Will Smith.
Something's gotta be done about all these gun related deaths. I suggest chipping and tracking all guns, if we can do it with cell phones, we can do it with guns.

April 11th, 2016, 10:44 am
RIP Killer

DayDreamer wrote:
Something's gotta be done about all these gun related deaths. I suggest chipping and tracking all guns, if we can do it with cell phones, we can do it with guns.

A lot more people probably die do to cell phones than guns... That is an interesting idea but there is a reason cell phones have chips and need to be tracked, that is needed to function. Tracking other devices is getting very big brother.

April 11th, 2016, 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

Pablo wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

A lot more people probably die do to cell phones than guns... That is an interesting idea but there is a reason cell phones have chips and need to be tracked, that is needed to function. Tracking other devices is getting very big brother.

"Internet of things" brother, Big brother's already got his eyes on your TVs, refrigerators, ACs, Heaters, Cars, and PCs among a billion other things. Guns should be the first ones on that list, and the only ones if you ask me. And it's not something people should be that concerned about anyway, it could be helpful to the owners just as much as it helps the cops.

April 11th, 2016, 1:32 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

DayDreamer wrote:
Pablo wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

"Internet of things" brother, Big brother's already got his eyes on your TVs, refrigerators, ACs, Heaters, Cars, and PCs among a billion other things. Guns should be the first ones on that list, and the only ones if you ask me. And it's not something people should be that concerned about anyway, it could be helpful to the owners just as much as it helps the cops.

And everyone of those billion other things that are tracked already require power or a wireless technology to function. Remove it and the device loses functionality. Add the tracking to the gun for some weird reason and removing it changes nothing, since it's a simple mechanical device that requiring power or connectivity would only hinder it's ability to be used for self defense. You think a state or federal lawsuit wouldn't get it removed the moment someone fails to defend themselves as soon as they had a poor connection?

Also, anything that is connected to a tracking system is able to be hacked. Nice of you to give terrorists the locations of every federal marshall on the planes they were going to hijack. Nice of you to show which security was armed and not armed at every bank and facility handling large amounts of cash. And you can't say "well just don't use it in police guns" because the public officials and federal agencies would be required to have even stricter oversight. There's no avoiding that can of worms.

So for the rare occurrence that someone gets shot because of a dispute for whatever reason, even if it could possibly be self defense, you suggest creating a system that would be easily circumvented and the potential hacking of the signal would make it an even worse problem? It's as bad an idea as the paper in NY that published a map with every gun owners house on the website. All those without guns were targeted. And what I concern myself with isn't your decision.

This is a post about Will Smith passing, not gun control, so this shouldn't even be in this forum. Post it in off-topic if you must.

April 11th, 2016, 7:41 pm
3rd Round Selection

Will Smith didn't pass of natural causes, he was killed by some idiot with a gun. If Will were to die of say, cancer, I'm sure a couple of lines about cancer research wouldn't get people all riled up.

Anyway, I have no intention of discussing gun control. I just think that just because something isn't doing as much damage as it potentially could, is no reason to avoid addressing it. But whatever makes people happy I guess.

April 12th, 2016, 11:30 am
National Champion

But you brought up Gun Control and I don't think getting, what, two comments constitutes getting "people all riled up". You're opinion is fair and I'm open to listen to either side of the debate but don't throw a live grenade into a sports forum then claim to not wanting to hear what the other side's opinions on why it might not be the best idea. Sorry but your holier than thou rubbed me the wrong way here.
/soapbox

April 12th, 2016, 2:13 pm
3rd Round Selection

aManNamedSuh wrote:
But you brought up Gun Control and I don't think getting, what, two comments constitutes getting "people all riled up". You're opinion is fair and I'm open to listen to either side of the debate but don't throw a live grenade into a sports forum then claim to not wanting to hear what the other side's opinions on why it might not be the best idea. Sorry but your holier than thou rubbed me the wrong way here.
/soapbox

"Holier than thou" wasn't my intention at all. I've seen the gun debate in the off-topic section come up quite a few times, and I frankly don't see the attitude of anyone change one micro-meter, so I just don't want another one of those unproductive discussions. As far as me bringing up gun-control, I go back to my cancer analogy. My comment came from a place of empathy for another human being's death, not from any political motivation, certainly not to take away anyone's toys.

April 12th, 2016, 2:58 pm
RIP Killer

DayDreamer wrote:

All these gun related deaths aren't about the guns. People need to get past that. Does having a gun make it easier to kill someone? Yes. But if you are entertaining thoughts of killing someone, that is the problem, not the tool that is used. Most gun related deaths in this country are committed by former felons who aren't supposed to be in possession of a gun. They can't even legally have a single round of ammunition on them. But there is no issue for them to A) get the gun and B) use it in a crime. Chipping a gun is something that will easily be bypassed. Guys wearing tethers with GPS are still committing violent crimes, and that was an initiative (and a costly one) to try and prevent prison overcrowding and recidivism. Oops.

What's more, look at the violent crimes in America and where they are committed. If you remove the firearm related crimes (even the ones not causing death) that are committed in the top ten cities for violent crime in America, suddenly the rest of the country is VERY safe, ranking somewhere around 180 in the world. And you can't say that tougher gun laws will work in those ten cities, because a few of those cities, like Chicago and DC, are in the top ten. And we all know about their gun control history.

This is a mental health issue, and a culture issue. This is a value of life issue. It is NOT, and has never been, a gun issue.

April 25th, 2016, 7:39 pm
3rd Round Selection

m2karateman wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

All these gun related deaths aren't about the guns. People need to get past that. Does having a gun make it easier to kill someone? Yes. But if you are entertaining thoughts of killing someone, that is the problem, not the tool that is used. Most gun related deaths in this country are committed by former felons who aren't supposed to be in possession of a gun. They can't even legally have a single round of ammunition on them. But there is no issue for them to A) get the gun and B) use it in a crime. Chipping a gun is something that will easily be bypassed. Guys wearing tethers with GPS are still committing violent crimes, and that was an initiative (and a costly one) to try and prevent prison overcrowding and recidivism. Oops.

What's more, look at the violent crimes in America and where they are committed. If you remove the firearm related crimes (even the ones not causing death) that are committed in the top ten cities for violent crime in America, suddenly the rest of the country is VERY safe, ranking somewhere around 180 in the world. And you can't say that tougher gun laws will work in those ten cities, because a few of those cities, like Chicago and DC, are in the top ten. And we all know about their gun control history.

This is a mental health issue, and a culture issue. This is a value of life issue. It is NOT, and has never been, a gun issue.

I actually agree with you that this is definitely a culture/mentality issue. But, the fact that it is so easy for felons and career criminals to get their hands on guns is a cause for major concern. These guns that are out on the street today had to come from somewhere, whether they're stolen from lawful gun owners, or from manufacturing plants, or smuggled from overseas, chipping would at least reveal the location of the gun for law enforcement to crack down on. I'm not saying that it's the best solution, but no one else is coming up with anything better.

April 26th, 2016, 9:01 am
RIP Killer

DayDreamer wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

I actually agree with you that this is definitely a culture/mentality issue. But, the fact that it is so easy for felons and career criminals to get their hands on guns is a cause for major concern. These guns that are out on the street today had to come from somewhere, whether they're stolen from lawful gun owners, or from manufacturing plants, or smuggled from overseas, chipping would at least reveal the location of the gun for law enforcement to crack down on. I'm not saying that it's the best solution, but no one else is coming up with anything better.

Yes, it is too easy for the felons and criminals to get guns. I don't think any lawful gun owner will argue that fact. Which is why lawful gun owners are gun owners. But chips can be removed, modified, etc. What NEEDS to happen, needs to happen in the courts across America. Too often I read about former felons using a gun in a crime, getting charged with numerous offenses as a result of that crime, and then the plea bargaining removes some of the charges, including mandatory felony firearm charges. This is what the NRA, lawful gun owners and gun companies have been arguing. Stop dropping the charges. My understanding is that any of these mandatory firearm felonies are supposed to be sentenced to run consecutive with any other charges, not concurrently. That's why defense lawyers want those charges dropped. They can't be given reduced sentences related to those crimes, and the sentences must be served consecutive to other charges.

The American Justice system is to blame for more deaths than any gun maker. They release violent felons early, they reduce charges of serious violent crimes to less serious felonies or misdemeanors, they parole violent felons against recommendations, the judges give probation to repeat offenders, etc. And estimates are that over 70% of violent crimes committed in the most dangerous areas in America are committed by repeat offenders. The case of the guy who strangled his girlfriend is a prime example. This guy was given 4-15 years on a manslaughter charge. He didn't even serve the four years. He's a career parole obsconder. Yet he was freed on parole, when he shouldn't have been, and killed AGAIN! And he didn't even use a gun to do it.

That is but one of many, many examples of violent felons with a history of violence and lawlessness being released when they shouldn't have been. The parole boards, the judges and the prosecutors/police who screw up and allow this to happen NEED to be held accountable. The jails that make 'clerical errors' and release prisoners by mistake NEED to be held accountable. Instead, it's a simple "oops" and they go about their life, while in all likelihood someone else pays for their mistake with their life.

America has a multitude of guns, and a multitude of lawful gun owners who have never committed a felony, and in many cases have never even been arrested for a misdemeanor. These are the people adversely affected by gun laws, not criminals. If a politician could come up with a way to take the guns out of the hands of the criminals, lawful gun owners would be ecstatic and some would probably be willing to give up their guns at that point. But that would mean shutting down a black market that is entirely too big for our inept government to handle. They can't stop drugs, they can't stop guns, they can't do a damn thing right.

April 27th, 2016, 9:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]