View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 19th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Bills announce Shaq Lawson will have shoulder surgery 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Bills announce Shaq Lawson will have shoulder surgery
PFT wrote:
Bills announce Shaq Lawson will have shoulder surgery

Posted by Josh Alper on May 16, 2016, 2:57 PM EDT

After Shaq Lawson was drafted in the first round by the Bills, Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that Lawson needed to have shoulder surgery at some point that would sideline him for 4-6 months.

Lawson said on a pre-draft visit to PFT Live that his shoulder was fine and said there was “no truth” to Schefter’s report. That statement may need to be walked back after Monday’s announcement from the Bills that the edge rusher will be having surgery on that very same shoulder.

“The Buffalo Bills are taking measures to prevent the possibility of Shaq Lawson aggravating a pre-existing shoulder condition during the season,” the team’s statement said. “While he could continue to play, the Bills medical staff has determined that surgery is the best course of action for the overall health of his shoulder moving forward. He had an occurrence of the condition last week, but that would not preclude him from participating in the offseason program. Shaq is scheduled for surgery tomorrow on his shoulder with a rehabilitation program to follow. A timetable for his return is still being established.”

General Manager Doug Whaley, who previously called Lawson a starter from his first day, offered some idea about that timetable in a statement of his own by saying that he commended Lawson for “forsaking personal goals to be 100 percent healthy when we will need him most during the regular season.” By the timeline Schefter initially reported, that could be as late as November and that would leave Lawson with a lot of catching up to do without much time left in his rookie season.

There is confirmation that Lawson's shoulder was a real issue. We will have to wait and see what his recovery ends up being, but he may end up missing most of the season and may not even be able to contribute this season.

May 16th, 2016, 5:46 pm
William Clay Ford Sr.

Post Re: Bills announce Shaq Lawson will have shoulder surgery
Yep. Apparently his shoulder was worse than the pre draft reports. But, everyone knew he would need the surgery at some point. So, this does nothing to change my long term opinion of him.

May 16th, 2016, 7:05 pm
William Clay Ford Sr.

In other Bills news, Sammy Watkins broke his foot and had to have a screw inserted today.

May 16th, 2016, 7:07 pm
RIP Killer

Wouldn't be worried about Watkins. I had the same break about 10 years ago. Had a 40mm screw put in. Recovery was about the same as a regular break 4-6 weeks and about 8 weeks sprinting full speed and lifting. Unfortunately, the head of the screw is causing me some trouble (10 years later), but I've dealt with the random aching pain for a few years now. The out-patient surgery to remove is down with a local and a drill. F);& that.

May 17th, 2016, 10:05 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Yep. Apparently his shoulder was worse than the pre draft reports. But, everyone knew he would need the surgery at some point. So, this does nothing to change my long term opinion of him.

I was nervous of the shoulder already, this certainly doesn't help his long term prospects IMO given how much he will need his shoulders on the line. If you can't do a swim move without messing up your shoulder that is a bad sign for a first round pick.

May 18th, 2016, 10:43 am
Profile WWW
William Clay Ford Sr.

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I was nervous of the shoulder already, this certainly doesn't help his long term prospects IMO given how much he will need his shoulders on the line. If you can't do a swim move without messing up your shoulder that is a bad sign for a first round pick.

Yeah. It doesn't look good to start your career that way.

But, you don't draft a guy for the first 3 months of his career. You draft for the first 5 years. If anything, he will get a good grasp of the playbook before he is thrown into the fire while he is rehabbing.

May 18th, 2016, 11:34 am
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

So no more Rookie of the Year hype? ;)

May 18th, 2016, 11:48 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

But, you don't draft a guy for the first 3 months of his career. You draft for the first 5 years. If anything, he will get a good grasp of the playbook before he is thrown into the fire while he is rehabbing.

I bet Javid Best (1st round) and Ryan Broyles (2nd round) know the Lions playbook inside and out. Oh wait, they are no longer playing football... It is a huge risk to take a player with significant injuries in the first few rounds and no first year GM looking to build depth is going to take a chance on a player like that.

May 18th, 2016, 11:57 am
Profile WWW
William Clay Ford Sr.

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I bet Javid Best (1st round) and Ryan Broyles (2nd round) know the Lions playbook inside and out. Oh wait, they are no longer playing football... It is a huge risk to take a player with significant injuries in the first few rounds and no first year GM looking to build depth is going to take a chance on a player like that.

Best could still play. Even today. He was caught up in a political situation. Just wrong time to enter the NFL for him. So his comparison does not apply.

Brows knees were shot. Last I checked, Lawson does not bear the whole weight of his body on his shoulder.

May 18th, 2016, 1:14 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Best could still play. Even today. He was caught up in a political situation. Just wrong time to enter the NFL for him. So his comparison does not apply.

Brows knees were shot. Last I checked, Lawson does not bear the whole weight of his body on his shoulder.

Broyles knees were never shot. He injured a different different part of his body each time. His last injury was his Achilles. He's was injury prone and Lawson could be to given he played 2 years with the bad shoulder.

May 18th, 2016, 5:17 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

conversion02 wrote:
Wouldn't be worried about Watkins. I had the same break about 10 years ago. Had a 40mm screw put in. Recovery was about the same as a regular break 4-6 weeks and about 8 weeks sprinting full speed and lifting. Unfortunately, the head of the screw is causing me some trouble (10 years later), but I've dealt with the random aching pain for a few years now. The out-patient surgery to remove is down with a local and a drill. F);& that.

good outcome for you but those injuries actually have a high rate of not healing and refracturing particularly in high level athletes and especially if they are pushed along too quickly in the recovery process

May 18th, 2016, 8:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]